It's time for a lawsuit over "gun free zones"

This is a discussion on It's time for a lawsuit over "gun free zones" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been pondering this a lot lately and I would like to get the input of the forum. With all the frivolous and crazy lawsuits ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: It's time for a lawsuit over "gun free zones"

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

I've been pondering this a lot lately and I would like to get the input of the forum. With all the frivolous and crazy lawsuits that have actually gone to court, and a few that have even been won, I think this one is actually pretty sensible.

It's an indisputable fact that every mass killing we've heard about in the last few years has happened in a "gun free zone" hereafter "GFZ." Every single one. This is a fact and it's not open to debate. Therefore, since GFZ's are the common denominator between all of these deaths, and since GFZ's left the door open for these murders to take place, and since GFZ's act as an enticement to those who want to kill as many people as possible, I'm actually surprised that no one has filed a lawsuit over it (as far as I know).

Think about it. Lawsuits have been filed over much less, like if a screw was the wrong thread pitch in the steering system of a car, and that one weak screw "might" have made a difference of 0.0034" of clearance while cornering, etc..... This isn't a literal example, but you get the idea.

And here's the thing; even if such lawsuits ultimately fail, they still cost the defendant money. That's not to mention the stress factor, the bad publicity, and in some cases, leading to policies and procedures being changed.

Before anyone says that "that'll never get off the ground!," understand that you're probably right. That's not the point. The point is that a very logical case can be made that by posting "No Weapons" signs, it only prevented the law-abiding from being armed, thereby filtering out anyone who could have saved lives if they had been armed.

One last thing...... this topic has obviously gotten some attention lately. Wayne LaPierre, Larry Pratt, Ted Nugent, Jesse Ventura, Ann Coulter, and others have made reference to the GFZ being a bad and dangerous idea. So maybe the time is right for a high-publicity lawsuit. At he very least, it could point out to the public with a credible argument that the way things are being done, and have been for years, just isn't working very well. I'm totally preaching to the choir here, but I think it's time that Mr. and Mrs. Couch Potato out there were made aware of this point of view. A high-profile lawsuit would be an excellent way of getting the idea across.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    This would be a good time for one of the Sandy Hook parents to step up with a lawsuit of this sort, but I don't see it happening . I don't think any judge would accept that their child was denied any right to carry a firearm to school for self defense.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    This would be a good time for one of the Sandy Hook parents to step up with a lawsuit of this sort, but I don't see it happening . I don't think any judge would accept that their child was denied any right to carry a firearm to school for self defense.
    But if you'll remember, six teachers also died that day. They were all adults. If it were to come out that any of them happened to have a concealed carry permit, yet couldn't carry at work because of the GFZ, that might add some fuel to the fire.

-miklcolt45

IMO............being plastered throughout the news media is enough to disuade anyone from comming foward. Just look what's happening in Rockland County NY with the publishing of names, addresses and google locations of firearm owners homes.....IMO there has to be a legal hault this type of threat to law abiding citizens.....

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    IMO............being plastered throughout the news media is enough to disuade anyone from comming foward. Just look what's happening in Rockland County NY with the publishing of names, addresses and google locations of firearm owners homes.....IMO there has to be a legal hault this type of threat to law abiding citizens.....
    But we must also look at the (rightful) backlash. There has been a public outrage about it, hackers have attacked them, a blogger has posted names, addresses, and phone numbers of the idiots. As for publicity, there's nothing that attorneys love more! Publicity is like meth to a lawyer; they just can't get enough. So if a pro-gun attorney were to head up a high-profile case like this, it would at least bring the issue to the forefront.

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Also, you don't have to win the lawsuit to affect change. Our insurance companies estimate that it will cost about $100,000 to even get dismissed from a lawsuit so, they suggest we offer a settlement very quickly in the process to limit costs. We usually don't take their advice and fight the suits, but think of the affect insurance companies have on everyone. If they are telling their customers that being sued will cost you a minimum of $100,000, how much is it worth to not get sued at all?
    SpringerXD likes this.

I agree that a lawsuit against the school, state, or the fed claiming that a person who was capable of being legally armed and could have intervened was prohibited from being legally armed would bring some much needed attention to the biggest problem. I don't know if any of the staff of that school or any school in CT are concealed carriers. I would like to think so but most teachers and school types are usually pretty liberal. While it would be one of the most worthwhile lawsuits in recent memory, I don't know how many of people like us are willing to stoop to that level and out themselves. I'm not saying it would be a BS "coffee too hot, make me rich" lawsuit but most people like us are not the type to blame others for our misfortune. I do hope someone does file such a suit.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    This right here screams class action lawsuit.....

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Also, you don't have to win the lawsuit to affect change. Our insurance companies estimate that it will cost about $100,000 to even get dismissed from a lawsuit so, they suggest we offer a settlement very quickly in the process to limit costs. We usually don't take their advice and fight the suits, but think of the affect insurance companies have on everyone. If they are telling their customers that being sued will cost you a minimum of $100,000, how much is it worth to not get sued at all?
    Exactly. It's not so much about winning the suit, but about the "show" it puts on for the public. It would allow some arguments to be heard and start some serious discussions. And, the simple fact that a lawsuit was filed would give it a certain, although small, air of legitimacy in the minds of a lot of people.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I agree that a lawsuit against the school, state, or the fed claiming that a person who was capable of being legally armed and could have intervened was prohibited from being legally armed would bring some much needed attention to the biggest problem. I don't know if any of the staff of that school or any school in CT are concealed carriers. I would like to think so but most teachers and school types are usually pretty liberal. While it would be one of the most worthwhile lawsuits in recent memory, I don't know how many of people like us are willing to stoop to that level and out themselves. I'm not saying it would be a BS "coffee too hot, make me rich" lawsuit but most people like us are not the type to blame others for our misfortune. I do hope someone does file such a suit.
    See the parts I bolded. Both are excellent points. It's like the Catch-22 where someone stops what would have been a mass shooting. It's only heard about in that local area and on the gun forums.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeMan View Post
    This right here screams class action lawsuit.....
    Yes it does, and I hope some people get together and file one. There were at least two women who had obtained carry permits because they were hiding from a violent ex-husband or boyfriend. So when that birdcage liner of a newspaper "outed" them, it put their lives in danger.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Yes it does, and I hope some people get together and file one. There were at least two women who had obtained carry permits because they were hiding from a violent ex-husband or boyfriend. So when that birdcage liner of a newspaper "outed" them, it put their lives in danger.
    If nothing else, the two women, I would think, would have a def suit because the printing of their name and location because they had a CC permit, exposed them to danger of being found by the ex. Especially if said women had epo's or dvo's against the men....

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeMan View Post
    If nothing else, the two women, I would think, would have a def suit because the printing of their name and location because they had a CC permit, exposed them to danger of being found by the ex. Especially if said women had epo's or dvo's against the men....
    Yeah. I hope that rag gets sued out of business.

-miklcolt45

The only gun free zones in my state are the ones written specifically in the law. No gun signs do not hold any legal weight in my state...

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I think it's time that ALL gun control laws are found in violation of the second amendment, and thereby quashed.
    FLA of 1934? gone. gun ban of 1968? gone. gun free zones by force of law? gone. all of this nonsense, including the need for a government permit to carry concealed, gone.
    tkruf likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links