Problems countering new gun legislation

This is a discussion on Problems countering new gun legislation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Echo_Four Yeah, let's throw the borders open with no regulation or checks on the people wanting to come in. You're a known ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Problems countering new gun legislation

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Yeah, let's throw the borders open with no regulation or checks on the people wanting to come in. You're a known terrorist that has dedicated his life to killing those that don't believe in your religion? Welcome to America! You are a recently released murderer that can't get a fair shake in your home country because of your violent past? Come to America!

Sometimes I really do just have to shake my head while reading what people write.
    The reality is that the likelihood of an illegal immigrant being a terrorist is probably less than that of a legally-owned gun being used in a crime. Anytime we're choosing security over liberty, we're already screwed.
    Clodbert likes this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Very true. It's the way I feel about virtually all elections.
    It saddens me because I suspect that is the way the majority of us feel in virtually all elections. Jerry Ford was the first, last and only presidential candidate from a major party I felt good about voting for. We have all been conditioned by the beauty pageant directors to believe that those two uglies they put on the stage are the only possible choices we have. They spend billions to convince us that they are the prettiest ones in town, when usually, nothing could be further from the truth.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Yes, I think you are pretty spot on with your observations. I believe that a big reason people are apathetic about the 2A is that they really don't understand it. They talk in terms of the right to have a gun for hunting or self-defense. When presented the concept that the intent of our founding fathers was to be able to defend ourselves from a tyrannical government, they have visions of Ruby Ridge and Waco and sort of freak out.

Withing the context of what the 2A was really intended to do, it has already been defeated in that our right to possess weapons suitable to defend ourselves from tyrannical governments has already been infringed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    OK...for rebuttals I expect to see

1. "Don't know who you hang around with but all of my firends will place the 2A number one when voting"
    2. "You are insane!"
    3. "I know of polls that refute what you just said"

^^Oh yeah!!!!^^^^^^^^^

Well my dad can take your dad any day!!!!!!!!

suntzu,
    I would tend to agree with you for the most part on how the feelings lie across the various people and their likes/dislikes.

But with that said, I think it might suprise even diehard gun enthusiasts how some people feel.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Problems countering new gun legislation

Before anyone starts flaming me on this I want to say the following are my observations and personal experience dealing with folks around the country. I did not include any "stats" because that always turns into an exercise infutility with counter stats and interpretations. Okee Dokee:

The problem is see is this: A lot of gunowners, some might actually say a majority, do not look at the 2A like many folks here do. I am a purists for the most part about the Constitution. I don't give a hoot if a person is blind, if they want a gun they sure can own one. If they go outside their house and hear a noise and shoot someone then they should be treated according to what ever law there is for being a ******* and shooting at something you could not see or identify.

I will give three example of why folks will put the 2A on the back burner as long as they can keep what they think they need:

1. My niece is a lesbian as well as her partner. They both CC. If given a choice to vote for a pro LGBT person who will ban AR's and AK's they would vote for that person instead of a conservative who is opposed to such a ban. I talked to my niece about this and almost all of her friends would vote the same way. Also, I know a lesbian and gay dude in school and they echo the same sentiment. They do acknoledge that it could be like mission creep where they start with the AWB and it gets expanded over time but since a gun is not part of their everyday life and being who they are is, voting for the 2A comes secondary.

2. I know many people of Hispanic descent and/or legally in this country and are citizens that are avid gun owners. They also not prioritize the 2A over what they percieve as immoral immigartain and deportation policies. Therefore they are more likely to vote for a politician that leans more to the left on this issue and as long as their 10 round pistol and thier hunting rifles are not affected and the politician is more in line with thier views on immigration and Hispanic issues.

3. Hunters. Mnay talk a big game about being in the NRA and gun rights but when you get down to it as long as thier REM 700 or Savage is not affected they can live with that as long as a politician is going to support unions and other more democratic party agendas.

BTW: I did not include all of the old ladies who have a 70 year old revolver in thier house and other folks like that who will not prioritize the 2A when voting. Pretty big voter base out there IMO that will talk a good game but will not prioritize the 2A when voting

These are observations I have got from people I know, family, friends, and acquaintences. They span folks from the Christian conservative to liberal left.

In a nutshell: the 2A sounds good talking about how great it is at the range, out with the guys, signing up for the NRA, but when it comes down to voting I think it is not that high up on the list for many folks...including gun owners as long as they can keep what is theirs.

OK...for rebuttals I expect to see

1. "Don't know who you hang around with but all of my firends will place the 2A number one when voting"
    2. "You are insane!"
    3. "I know of polls that refute what you just said"
    Well stated Suntzu. Unfortunately, i think you are right.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Luttrel View Post
    Yes, this is my point, the rights lined out specifically in black and white, in the Bill of Rights are absolute. The right of gays and lesbians to have a union and call it marriage is not specifically lined out in the Bill of Rights and therefore not absolute. For the record, I believe what goes on, between two consenting adults, behind closed doors is nobody's business, but I stop short of calling it marriage.
    Well then, unfortunately, you aren't taking into account that, at least in suntzu's example, they absolutely are fighting for their rights under the Constitution. The Constitution most definitely does not spell out who has any Constitutional right to get married and since the Republican party has made numerous efforts to amend that very thing into the Constitution, I'd say they are absolutely within their right to make the choices they make. Not to mention that the 14th Amendment should cover their marriage just as the Supreme Court ruled that it covered interracial marriage.

I do appreciate your service to our country but, it seems to me, that you are applying the same narrow version what a "right" is to your view as you are claiming others are wrong for doing themselves. I, for one, don't expect anyone to stand up for my rights if I'm not willing to stand up for theirs.
    Eichorn likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Present Administration = Freak Show...........IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Present Administration = Freak Show...........IMO.
    That was helpful.........maybe we can still keep this thread open.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

1. My niece is a lesbian as well as her partner.

Is it just me, or does this just seem overly obvious :)
    Brad426 and bombthrower77 like this.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post

He's just making clear that everything is consensual.
    Brad426 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post

yeah yeah....I thought about that after I posted...everybody nowadays seems to be an English major
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    yeah yeah....I thought about that after I posted...everybody nowadays seems to be an English major
    I was once an American staff sergeant.
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I was once an American staff sergeant.
    I once owned an American Staffordshire terrier.
    Brad426 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I once owned an American Staffordshire terrier.
    My daughter has American Girl dolls.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    My daughter has American Girl dolls.
    But are there any English majors, or even captains around?
    Tuco

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links