Problems countering new gun legislation - Page 5

Problems countering new gun legislation

This is a discussion on Problems countering new gun legislation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My brother is a Major in the Air Force. Does that count?...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Problems countering new gun legislation

Senior Moderator
    My brother is a Major in the Air Force. Does that count?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    But are there any English majors, or even captains around?
    You better take this one, I think it's as close as you are gonna get round these parts!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The British Air Force, perchance?
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

I have to agree with you. Not everyone has the same level of dedication to the 2A.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Before anyone starts flaming me on this I want to say the following are my observations and personal experience dealing with folks around the country. I did not include any "stats" because that always turns into an exercise infutility with counter stats and interpretations. Okee Dokee:

The problem is see is this: A lot of gunowners, some might actually say a majority, do not look at the 2A like many folks here do. I am a purists for the most part about the Constitution. I don't give a hoot if a person is blind, if they want a gun they sure can own one. If they go outside their house and hear a noise and shoot someone then they should be treated according to what ever law there is for being a ******* and shooting at something you could not see or identify.

I will give three example of why folks will put the 2A on the back burner as long as they can keep what they think they need:

1. My niece is a lesbian as well as her partner. They both CC. If given a choice to vote for a pro LGBT person who will ban AR's and AK's they would vote for that person instead of a conservative who is opposed to such a ban. I talked to my niece about this and almost all of her friends would vote the same way. Also, I know a lesbian and gay dude in school and they echo the same sentiment. They do acknoledge that it could be like mission creep where they start with the AWB and it gets expanded over time but since a gun is not part of their everyday life and being who they are is, voting for the 2A comes secondary.

2. I know many people of Hispanic descent and/or legally in this country and are citizens that are avid gun owners. They also not prioritize the 2A over what they percieve as immoral immigartain and deportation policies. Therefore they are more likely to vote for a politician that leans more to the left on this issue and as long as their 10 round pistol and thier hunting rifles are not affected and the politician is more in line with thier views on immigration and Hispanic issues.

3. Hunters. Mnay talk a big game about being in the NRA and gun rights but when you get down to it as long as thier REM 700 or Savage is not affected they can live with that as long as a politician is going to support unions and other more democratic party agendas.

BTW: I did not include all of the old ladies who have a 70 year old revolver in thier house and other folks like that who will not prioritize the 2A when voting. Pretty big voter base out there IMO that will talk a good game but will not prioritize the 2A when voting

These are observations I have got from people I know, family, friends, and acquaintences. They span folks from the Christian conservative to liberal left.

In a nutshell: the 2A sounds good talking about how great it is at the range, out with the guys, signing up for the NRA, but when it comes down to voting I think it is not that high up on the list for many folks...including gun owners as long as they can keep what is theirs.

OK...for rebuttals I expect to see

1. "Don't know who you hang around with but all of my firends will place the 2A number one when voting"
    2. "You are insane!"
    3. "I know of polls that refute what you just said"

My high school age son is a grammar Nazi. I am not sure of his rank.

Here's the problem. You say you don't mind blind people walking into a store and buying a gun and ammo. This person is not fit for firearm ownership and the responsibilities involved. You are looked at by the anti-2A people as a nut, others who agree with your side are also nuts. That's where they come up with generalizations from. You make a dangerous argument. Regardless of whether your feelings are correct or not, they are viewed negatively. That is what the problem is with the other side.
    bklynboy likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Here's the problem. You say you don't mind blind people walking into a store and buying a gun and ammo. This person is not fit for firearm ownership and the responsibilities involved. You are looked at by the anti-2A people as a nut, others who agree with your side are also nuts. That's where they come up with generalizations from. You make a dangerous argument. Regardless of whether your feelings are correct or not, they are viewed negatively. That is what the problem is with the other side.
    I wasn't making that my arguement. I was using it to make a point for THIS thread
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I wasn't making that my arguement. I was using it to make a point for THIS thread
    Yes but do understand what I'm saying. There is a belief by many that we are all crazy. I disagree, but I don't have the media on my side
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

yeah yeah....I thought about that after I posted...everybody nowadays seems to be an English major
    You kiddin? I'm a redneck from Alabamer, I can't even spell Anglish.. :)
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links