Ten gun bills on Congress's first day

This is a discussion on Ten gun bills on Congress's first day within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Putting on the devils advocate hat here (not necessarily stating my opinion) ... One of the things I think that at least most here would ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Ten gun bills on Congress's first day

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Putting on the devils advocate hat here (not necessarily stating my opinion) ...
    One of the things I think that at least most here would agree is that criminals are obtaining their guns illegally. I am certain that the vast majority of these are through black market transactions. No law is going to stop these, period.

Also most people I know say that they require either a CCL or a purchase permit (my state used them and they require a background check via the sheriff to get). Consequently, I don't see requiring some form of check as being a big impasse here in NC. Within this current context, the law abiding are already doing the background check, the criminal never will.
    The difference is that the transaction isn't always officially documented, like it would be through an FFL. If the fee from the FFL were reasonable (e.g. $5) it shouldn't be a terrible hardship. What it would do is confirm or rather officially assert that you aren't making a black market purchase/sale.
    If the anti's and public are so concerned about trying to stop the illicit arms trade, this would at least distinguish the legit and what remains would be the illegal.

Personally, I don't think lawful face - face transactions are the problem and I think the show loophole is a fallacy, as is the online purchase claim a fallacy. However, the inconvenience would eliminate one of the common grievances.

2. Remove Ads

"The NRA as an organization is out of step with its membership on many commonsense gun safety measures," he said. "Polling shows nearly two-thirds of NRA members support the five simple ways to improve gun safety included in this bill."

I wasn't polled. Oh wait, I live in Texas. He already knew my answer.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Distinguished Member
    We need to prioritize repealing GFZ's. Better regulation (in a true sense of orderly and efficient normal daily routine - not having to disarm under penalty of a felony) and appropriate to the purpose of self-defense and the defense of innocents.
    Two freshman Republicans introduced... bills that would end federal law requiring that areas around schools be designated as "gun free zones." These bills, H.R. 35 from Rep. Steve Stockman (R-Texas) and H.R. 133 from Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.), are a response to findings that violence in and around schools has increased since the gun free zone law took effect in 1990.

"By disarming qualified citizens and officials in schools we have created a dangerous situation for our children," Stockman said. "In the 22 years before enactment of 'gun free school zones' there were two mass school shootings.

"In the 22 years since enactment of 'gun free schools' there have been 10 mass school shootings
    ," he added. "Not only has the bill utterly failed to protect our children it appears to have placed them in danger."

Read more: Ten gun bills on Congress's first day - The Hill's Floor Action
    phreddy likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    I don't agree it would eliminate anything; their "grievance" is for a sound bite only. They aren't stupid. They realize exactly what it would, and more importantly, wouldn't do. It's just one more attempt to get a hook in where ever they can.

Personally, on the few occasions where I actually sell a firearm, I always hold out for someone with a CCW, and I've never had a problem selling. Imagine though if you had to involve an FFL for every transaction. That means working under their convenience instead of your own. Arranging a time to meet that worked for three people now, instead of just two. Also, someone has to pay the FFL for the transaction, and there are no set fees for transfers, so if you are unlucky enough to not have a 'good one' around, you might be looking at $30 or more just to sell your firearm. Finally, once that didn't actually do anything, they'd "have" to take more steps. Taxing the sales, filing some sort of BATF transfer forms, or some other nonsense. The anti-gun folks are like spoiled children; you give them an inch and they're going to try and take a mile.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Here is what Congressman Chuck Fleischmann (R/TN) had to say in response to my letter to him.

Thank you for contacting me about the recent heartbreaking tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this horrendous attack on our children, and I remain honored to represent you in Congress.

On December 14, 2012 a deranged young man attacked the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut, brutally murdering 20 first graders and 6 adults. This unspeakable attack shook the town of Newtown to its core and forced many of us to question how anyone could be so evil as to murder children.

In the wake of this shooting there are no easy answers. I have heard suggestions for limiting 2nd Amendment rights to increasing resources for mental health issues to putting armed school resource officers in every school. I oppose limiting gun rights, however I do believe that there is merit in the other two suggestions, although these solutions may be better implemented at the state or local level than at the federal level. School resources and needs are no doubt very different in a small Tennessee town than in New York City or in rural Alaska.

This horrific act leads me to hug my children a little bit tighter, but ultimately the search for answers to this shooting yields few clues. We know little about the shooter and what could have driven him to kill.

I urge you to join me in keeping the victims and their families in your prayers in the wake of this horrible crime. Thank you again for your concern and please do not hesitate to let me know if I may be of additional assistance.

Sincerely,

Chuck Fleischmann
    Member of Congress
    BugDude likes this.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by oFant0mo View Post
    Ive written to Mayor Bloomberg, my NJ Congressmen, my Senators, and my Governor... no one has responded.
    Since you do not live in NYC you most likely will never receive a reply from Mayor Bloomberg.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Let the games begin................
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by soonershoote View Post
    Ten gun bills on Congress's first day - The Hill's Floor Action

Rep. Jim Moran (D-Va.) reintroduced his bill, H.R. 21:
    "The NRA as an organization is out of step with its membership on many commonsense gun safety measures," he said. "Polling shows nearly two-thirds of NRA members support the five simple ways to improve gun safety included in this bill."
    Moran is a Moron. .... or is that redundant

NRA has been receiving 8000 new membership applications a day after Sandy Hook. May have slowed down now, but I think a lot of people support the NRA and not Mr. Moron.

VIP Member
    Moran is an idiot. He was an idiot over 20 years ago when he was involved in Alexandria politics and the oppressive Alexandra PD. The man is still an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I wasn't polled. Was anyone here polled?
    Not yet...but I've got a sick feeling in my stomach that we're all gonna get poled before it is over with.
    OD* likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    Here is what Congressman Chuck Fleischmann (R/TN) had to say in response to my letter to him.

Thank you for contacting me about the recent heartbreaking tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this horrendous attack on our children, and I remain honored to represent you in Congress.

On December 14, 2012 a deranged young man attacked the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut, brutally murdering 20 first graders and 6 adults. This unspeakable attack shook the town of Newtown to its core and forced many of us to question how anyone could be so evil as to murder children.

In the wake of this shooting there are no easy answers. I have heard suggestions for limiting 2nd Amendment rights to increasing resources for mental health issues to putting armed school resource officers in every school. I oppose limiting gun rights, however I do believe that there is merit in the other two suggestions, although these solutions may be better implemented at the state or local level than at the federal level. School resources and needs are no doubt very different in a small Tennessee town than in New York City or in rural Alaska.

This horrific act leads me to hug my children a little bit tighter, but ultimately the search for answers to this shooting yields few clues. We know little about the shooter and what could have driven him to kill.

I urge you to join me in keeping the victims and their families in your prayers in the wake of this horrible crime. Thank you again for your concern and please do not hesitate to let me know if I may be of additional assistance.

Sincerely,

Chuck Fleischmann
    Member of Congress
    Good response!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I wasn't polled. Was anyone here polled?
    I wasn't polled either. I'm lucky I get talked to at home.
    TX expat and BugDude like this.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuelrm View Post
    I wasn't polled either. I'm lucky I get talked to at home.
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Not yet...but I've got a sick feeling in my stomach that we're all gonna get poled before it is over with.
    What you did there, I see it.
    BugDude likes this.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Media calls em .... "Large Capacity Clips" ....

Hilarious ... I guess I will be reloading my clips while watching their news magazines.... errr I mean reloading my magazines while watching their news clips...
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links