Ten gun bills on Congress's first day

This is a discussion on Ten gun bills on Congress's first day within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ten gun bills on Congress's first day - The Hill's Floor Action Rep. Jim Moran (D-Va.) reintroduced his bill, H.R. 21: "The NRA as an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Ten gun bills on Congress's first day

Ten gun bills on Congress's first day

Ten gun bills on Congress's first day - The Hill's Floor Action

Rep. Jim Moran (D-Va.) reintroduced his bill, H.R. 21:
    "The NRA as an organization is out of step with its membership on many commonsense gun safety measures," he said. "Polling shows nearly two-thirds of NRA members support the five simple ways to improve gun safety included in this bill."

Two freshman Republicans introduced contrary bills that would end federal law requiring that areas around schools be designated as "gun free zones." These bills, H.R. 35 from Rep. Steve Stockman (R-Texas) and H.R. 133 from Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.), are a response to findings that violence in and around schools has increased since the gun free zone law took effect in 1990.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

2. Remove Ads

Moran is an idiot and his son is a POS:

Rep. Jim Moran's Son Pleads Guilty to Beating Up Girlfriend

Sorry, I digress.....carry on.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

I've written to Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) several times. He absolutely gets it. Too bad there aren't a whole lot more like him.

Ive written to Mayor Bloomberg, my NJ Congressmen, my Senators, and my Governor... no one has responded.

Hooray to Reps. Stockman and Massie. I'm glad my son is in the last few months of his public school sentence! Next stop-the USN. Then both sons will be on the frontline defending our freedoms.
    soonershoote, 3wggl and Regoria75 like this.

VIP Member
    I'd like to see the poll he's quoting. I wasn't polled. Was anyone here polled?
    Jetfuelrm and OD* like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Re: Ten gun bills on Congress's first day

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I'd like to see the poll he's quoting. I wasn't polled. Was anyone here polled?
    +1

sent from my rotary dial phone using tapatalk

This just won't stop will it.

I just wrote mine who was sworn in today. I think he will respond and if he does I will let everyone know what he said. I did tell him I didn't have a great deal of faith with the current speaker of the house and we needed someone who could articulate our concerns, and on this issue a line in the sand had to be drawn.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

This just won't stop will it.
    Nope it's going to get worse until it gets better. I think they'll keep throwing crap at the wall until something sticks while they still have time to exploit recent tragedies. Same thing is playing out right now in IL, NY, and plenty of other states I'm sure.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Domr View Post
    Nope it's going to get worse until it gets better. I think they'll keep throwing crap at the wall until something sticks while they still have time to exploit recent tragedies. Same thing is playing out right now in IL, NY, and plenty of other states I'm sure.
    Exactly, that's why everyone needs to continue to make contact with your state and federal politicians. Every time a new bill comes up, we need to start the letters and emails or whatever you want to do, and get your voice in front of them. Sending one letter isn't going to be anywhere near enough as long as the liberals smell blood in the water.
    NRA Life Member

I think there are some commonsense things here, and some things that miss commonsense by a mile.

Things I'm okay with at this point:

1. Gun owners required to report stolen guns. I have no problem with this issue. Matter of fact, I think it's a great idea because whoever is found with the gun, gets to have "in possession of stolen property" charges tacked on to whatever else he or she is being charged with.

2. Background checks for all gun sales. I don't agree with this in private sells, but I have no problem with gunshow background checks. Arizona has them, and when I bought two handguns at the Arizona gunshow, they did background checks both times. No issues at all. I would however, add the same caveat Arizona has. If you produce a CCW license, then no background check is necessary because the CCW license is proof you had one and passed.

3. Removing School Free-Fire zones. That's exactly what "gun free zones" are and I applaud the freshman Republicans for introducing bills to end them.

Alright - tell me where and why I'm wrong. (Not being argumentative, it's the best way I learn - by interacting and debating the points).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    I think there are some commonsense things here, and some things that miss commonsense by a mile.

Things I'm okay with at this point:

1. Gun owners required to report stolen guns. I have no problem with this issue. Matter of fact, I think it's a great idea because whoever is found with the gun, gets to have "in possession of stolen property" charges tacked on to whatever else he or she is being charged with.

2. Background checks for all gun sales. I don't agree with this in private sells, but I have no problem with gunshow background checks. Arizona has them, and when I bought two handguns at the Arizona gunshow, they did background checks both times. No issues at all. I would however, add the same caveat Arizona has. If you produce a CCW license, then no background check is necessary because the CCW license is proof you had one and passed.

3. Removing School Free-Fire zones. That's exactly what "gun free zones" are and I applaud the freshman Republicans for introducing bills to end them.

Alright - tell me where and why I'm wrong. (Not being argumentative, it's the best way I learn - by interacting and debating the points).
    Yeah, except the whole "gun show loophole" is a fallacy anyway. Every actual dealer with an FFL does do background checks at gun shows. The only thing they can restrict is private party sales because that's the only sale that doesn't get NICS checked. Dealers always do the checks, regardless of where they are selling the firearm.

Instead of the "gun show loophole" they ought to start calling it what it really is; the "private party sale" loophole. Then restricting it would sound a lot more sinister since they would have to come out and say they were looking to stop a private citizen from selling their property to another private citizen without getting the government involved.
    NRA Life Member

#1: thats ok if you KNOW it has been stolen, but for guns at friends house, hunting lodge, boat or whatever, there would have to be some built-in protections for those who didn't know that the gun had been stolen from them. I can see a prosecutor trying to nail someone on vacation and they didn't check to locate all their guns when they returned home and some had been stolen, etc.
    #2: I guess I could be ok with it, esp if the CHL/CCW waived the background check.
    #3: agree, GFZ are nothing more than shooting ducks in the barrel.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Re: Ten gun bills on Congress's first day

More background checks won't stop anything.

They make the citizen guilty until proven innocent. Furthermore, it's nobody's business with whom I buy and sell private property.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Clodbert likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links