Sample Letter to Congress - gun bans

This is a discussion on Sample Letter to Congress - gun bans within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is what I put together and have been sending to my various representatives at the federal and state level. If you find it useful ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sample Letter to Congress - gun bans

Here is what I put together and have been sending to my various representatives at the federal and state level.

If you find it useful please go ahead and use it or any part of it. I figured I'd post it here for those who don't have the time to compose a letter.

I've been on a number of different boards and news sites. There are rumors that the House is already thinking "compromise" and the bill isn't even introduced in the Senate yet.

We need to take this seriously. Please get involved immediately. Write your legislators. Join pro-gun orgs. In the last week I've donated, renewed or joined NRA, GRNC, SAF and GOA.

---

Dear :

The horrors of the Newtown, Connecticut school shootings are continuing proof that the 1995 “Gun-Free” School Zones Act is an absolute failure. It has spilled our children’s blood.

· Mass GFZ shootings have increased 370% since the GFSZA was implemented.
    · Adam Lanza violated 41 separate laws during his shooting spree.
    · Connecticut is in the top 5 of the states with strictest gun laws.
    · Chicago, the city with the strictest gun laws in the nation, racked up a whopping 532 murders in 2012 - more than military deaths in Afghanistan.

More gun control is not the answer. To the contrary, it is proof that it is time to repeal the “Victim Zones” created by the GFSZA. Any further support of GFSZA is a criminal act.

Anti-gun organizations and morally corrupt politicians are seizing on the opportunity to push for more gun control and trample our constitutional rights. In reality, this push is about controlling “We The People”, not controlling guns.

Governments have been responsible for at least 170 million civilian deaths in the 20th century. It always starts with gun registration and control. Do not advance this hellish legacy.

Do NOT allow more gun control. Honor your Oath of Office. Make NO compromises.

Evil always exists – it can only be vanquished with force and vigilance.

Evil cannot be “legislated” away.

I urge you to do three things:

One - Oppose ANY new gun restrictions, in any degree or form. Make Senator Feinstein's unconstitutional restrictions DOA. Shut down all HR bills that attempt any form of control. Do NOT allow Senators McCain and Reid to change the senate rules on filibustering.

Two - Repeal ALL CURRENT Unconstitutional "laws" which infringe on our rights to bear arms. Repeal ineffective, murder-enabling “laws”. Remove the Victim Zones.

Three - Introduce or co-sponsor favorable supporting Second Amendment legislation to reinforce the permanence and constitutionality of the Second Amendment.

My community, family, friends and myself will be watching your actions, and will vote, donate and campaign accordingly.

Cives Arma Ferant,

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Are you certain about the "Adam Lanza violated 41 separate laws during his shooting spree"? Don't throw out some random number or what the media has quoted.
    Rock and Glock and Clodbert like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum from Florida.
    Loach, great letter. The big question is; will the representatives that you send it to ever see it. Of the 100 senators and 435 congressman I doubt that 10% read their own mail. Sad but true. This job is done mostly by a administrative type within their home office or their DC office, who in most cases, prepares a weekly correspondence received summary grouped into like subjects for the reps. review and/or used by the assistant when questioned by the rep.. Based on the large amount of correspondence each rep. receives it is imperative to have a catchy subject line and have the first three or four sentences in the first paragraph address the issue, otherwise it will be added to the pile without any action, just to be added to the number of like subjects.

I have sent hundreds of e-mails and letters to my reps. only to receive an "Answer All" type form letter reply. Col. Allen West being the only exception in the past four years. He was not returned to office.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Welcome to the forum Loach, and thank you for posting your letter. What a great way to introduce yourself to the forum and like minded citizens!

VIP Member
    Great letter,
    and yes I am curious as well about the "41 separate violations".
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member

41......let's see:
    26 murders
    3 STOLEN firearms
    3 firearm is a gun-free school zone

What else?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

OldVet - good point. It wasn't 41 separate laws, but rather a minimum of 41 violations of laws, many multiple counts. I suspect that 41 is low once we take into account all federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. However, let's have a civil discourse here. It would have been more polite to ask where 41 came from rather than accuse me of making up a random number.

If you don't like the letter, then don't use it or modify it the way you want. Frankly, I expected more flack from the 170 million civilian statistic than how many laws an underage mass murderer broke in a heavily restricted gun control state. After a recount and reviewing the Connecticut state firearm laws, I come up with 42.

First, he shot his mother with a Marlin .22. This was his first count of first degree murder. (1)

He stole her vehicle and 3 guns. (1+4=5)

Transported firearms to Sandy Hook. At least 2 counts each of illegal possession and illegal carry (2 handguns). 3 counts of transporting loaded firearms (5+7=12)

He brought his three weapons of choice onto school grounds – breaking the “gun safe zone” law – three more counts. (12+3=15)

He broke into the school by shooting a glass door (some reports say that it was a window) so he could gain entry – breaking the law against forced entry. He was not voluntarily admitted into the school. (15+1=16)

Hearing shots and breaking glass, the principal and school psychologist left a meeting and ran into the hall to see what caused the noise. He killed them both. Two more counts of first degree murder. (16+2=18)

He then proceeded entering one classroom, then another, to murder 20 students and 4 teachers – at least 24 more counts of first degree murder. (18+24=42)

Thanks for posting this sample. I intend to send out some similar emails. Though I think chuckusaret has a point, brief and simple probably works just as well. These letters probably won't win an argument or change a mind. They are probably just a numbers in for and against columns in some spreadsheet by the time the rep sees them.

Thanks for the welcome everyone, glad to be here. Was a long time lurker before this.

chuckusaret - I don't know. I agree it seems futile to send emails and contact forms. I decided though that I'm not going to sit back and do nothing, and then be surprised when a completely restrictive and unconstitutional gun ban gets passed and we are all instantly felons instead of patriots and law-abiding citizens.

So, I resolved to do a few things:

1 - contact my representatives via email forms at least weekly and on every new legislative news
    2 - encourage all my associates and family to do the same
    3 - provide form letters to make it easy for others
    4 - I do know some of my NC State representatives either directly or as friends of friends. I intend to leverage that so that maybe they can pass the message through our state legislatures to their federal counterparts.
    5 - Call the offices of my congressmen at least weekly leading up to Feinstein's January 22nd AWB bill introduction.
    6 - Write physical letters and mail them to the offices of my representatives

Only by overwhelming them with the message that "you better not mess with the Second Amendment" will there be any hope.

This is the last line of defense. If gun bans, registrations and confiscations are put in place, it will be a dark America for generations.

and yes i agree, they probably don't read anything. When I send one, either short or long, I always ensure my subject line clearly indicates my opinion.

Subject: Oppose all new gun control laws. Support 2A.
    Subject: Oppose McCain changing Senate filibuster rules

or some such thing. That gives the staffers an easy tally.

VIP Member
    First off, I see this is your first post so welcome to the forum.

If you are going to state "facts" you need to cite your sources.

No offense but your letter reads like it was written by an angry person...Try to soften it up just a bit and it will read more like it was written by someone who is passionate.

Be careful how you word things in letters to elected officials. Using phrases like "I urge you" could be taken as a threat so be careful.

Instead of this:
    In reality, this push is about controlling “We The People”, not controlling guns.
    Try some thing like this: If this push for gun control legislation is successful, it will only infringe upon the Rights of law abiding citizens since criminals, by their very nature, do not follow laws. The types of legislation which are being proposed will reduce the freedoms of the law abiding citizens and empower those who are intent on breaking the law.

Consider rewriting this whole section:
    Do NOT allow more gun control. Honor your Oath of Office. Make NO compromises.

Evil always exists – it can only be vanquished with force and vigilance.

Evil cannot be “legislated” away.

I urge you to do three things:
    Here are some things to consider:

Remind then of the oath they took.

Ask them if they will support or vote in favor of legislation which will infringe upon the 2nd amendment.

Infringements to the 2nd amendment will hinder the good guy's ability to defend themselves and others against the evil acts of evil people.

Good can not exist without evil.

Good must triumph over evil.

As my elected official, I'd like you to represent me and our State by doing the following:
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Good effort loach. I like the way you think, and appreciate the effort you've put into your correspondence. Everyone should realize they have a dog in this fight, and better get involved, or we'll all be sorry.

Thanks again, and welcome to the forum from the MS Gulf Coast.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    I went with short and to the point and asked a direct question and requested that they choose one of two answers. If I get a form letter back, I've already told them how I will perceive their response and the action I will take.

Sent the following letters to my elected officials:

Dear elected official,

Will you support or vote in favor of any legislation which will infringe upon the 2nd amendment? Please reply with one of the following: "yes, I might support or vote in favor of legislation which will infringe upon the 2nd amendment" or "no, I will never support or vote in favor of legislation which will infringe upon the 2nd amendment". If I do not receive the latter of the two responses from you, I will assume your response is the former of the two responses.

If you support or vote in favor of legislation which will infringe upon the 2nd amendment, I will lobby against you in all future elections.

Sincerely,
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Thank you for writing the letters. Just a thought, this is about assigning blame where it belongs and it is law abiding gun owners against those who would take away our rights; insinuating the Congress Critters we are contacting are part of a group that has murdered millions is not exactly enduring them to our side of debate - don't include them in a group that we are against, include "them" in "us". Unless, of course, you are contacting a CC who is for the new legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    First off, I see this is your first post so welcome to the forum.

If you are going to state "facts" you need to cite your sources.

No offense but your letter reads like it was written by an angry person...Try to soften it up just a bit and it will read more like it was written by someone who is passionate.

Be careful how you word things in letters to elected officials. Using phrases like "I urge you" could be taken as a threat so be careful.

Instead of this:

Try some thing like this: If this push for gun control legislation is successful, it will only infringe upon the Rights of law abiding citizens since criminals, by their very nature, do not follow laws. The types of legislation which are being proposed will reduce the freedoms of the law abiding citizens and empower those who are intent on breaking the law.

Consider rewriting this whole section:

Here are some things to consider:

Remind then of the oath they took.

Ask them if they will support or vote in favor of legislation which will infringe upon the 2nd amendment.

Infringements to the 2nd amendment will hinder the good guy's ability to defend themselves and others against the evil acts of evil people.

Good can not exist without evil.

Good must triumph over evil.

As my elected official, I'd like you to represent me and our State by doing the following:
    --------

Thanks 1MoreGoodGuy, all good suggestions. I appreciate your candid comments and I agree with them.

My angle is different. I want them to know they have crossed a line. If they mistake resolution for anger, then that just reconfirms they are completely out of touch with America.

In the past I would soften it up as you suggested. It seems that this has gotten us nowhere however. The closed door deals, Christmas Eve signings, 3 minute reviews, removal of conservatives from key committees (thanks Boehner), hundreds of executive orders to bypass congress, and spineless RINO's who always compromise instead of standing on principles, laws and constitutional legality have reached a tipping point.

I'm working off the assumption that it won't be read, probably just tallied. If they do read it, then all the better. I was the voice that in the past would plead, suggest and request. I would send the eloquent politically correct mail. Since they clearly have either arrogantly ignored the will of the people or are too stupid to hear the message, my message is intended to be blunt. They work for us. We pay their salaries. They need to understand this is not a meritocracy but a constitutional republic. If one of them really thinks that me "urging" them is a threat, then that would be frightening on many levels.

I think there is room for both messages. The voice of suggestive reason and the voice of emboldened bluntness. Good cop, bad cop.

In my military, life and corporate experience, there are good people who want to do the right thing. They are motivated by altruism and principles. However, most only move off their X if there is the threat of "pain". Many who are altruistic find that they get squeezed by reality and even though they want to do something, they only will react if there is pain from not doing so. Almost everyone will move away from pain naturally. Only a few will consistently act for the greater good even if it causes them personal discomfort. This is why congress will never vote itself term limits. The recipe is clear. Make these guys understand that if they do not listen to us who employ them, we will hit them where it hurts - in the pocket book. Take away their job and livelihood if they ignore the will of the people. Statistics, reason, logic and friendly persuasion won't influence them. Fear of losing their cushy job will.

Bottom line - if we waver on 2A, if we lose an inch of ground, it is only a matter of time before it all crumbles. Once 2A is gutted there will be nothing left to stop them. Our electorate is at a 50% tipping point. The maker/taker ratio is just about 50% as well.

In my opinion, NRA, GOA, (and all others), and our reps should go on the offense. Feinstein is trying to pull an Overton Window. She is proposing something so outrageous that our reps will compromise and settle for some less offensive bans. This is what she wants - to slowly move the window. To slowly increase restrictions. Our strategy should be to submit bills to completely offset her ludicrous suggestions. Eliminate gun-free zones. Remove all federal restrictions. Let the states decide their own levels. If it works the bills will neutralize and we are where are today. If we get lucky, we actually get them moving back to where it should have been all along from a constitutional standpoint.

So to refocus the thread, we're all on the same team here. The goal is to move to action for all of us. Do what you feel is right for you.

If someone doesn't care for the letter, that is fine. Change it the way you want. Soften it up.

But - Do Something. Call them, email them. Get your friends to do it too.

Don't be that person on February 15th whining about how their congressperson sold them out and now you have 30 days to register your firearms or become a felon. If we go down, know that at least you went down swinging. Know that you did everything you could do to oppose this unconstitutional effort.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links