Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill Response.

This is a discussion on Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill Response. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't think that she quite gets it. Here is her response: Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill Response.

Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill Response.

I don't think that she quite gets it. Here is her response:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, as well as gun control policy and gun safety. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.
    On Friday, December 14, 2012, a gunman entered Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, and began shooting teachers and students before taking his own life. This horrific tragedy took the lives of 27 people, including 20 children seven years of age and younger. As a mother, I'm horrified and stunned by the senseless violence against innocent children and teachers.
    This tragedy has led to renewed and important discussions about gun control, which is often a divisive topic in our nation. The loss of so many beautiful children in a mass shooting that involved an assault rifle with ammunition clips that held large numbers of bullets makes clear that we need to revisit the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 and review permissible magazine ammunition sizes. I am also supportive of closing the gun show loophole and making sure that those with court-determined, dangerous mental health diagnoses do not get access to guns. Finally, it is equally clear that we must reconsider the mental health services available to our citizens, knowing that each mass shooting our nation has experienced involved individuals with substantial mental health problems. "Obamacare" will expand important mental health coverage when it is implemented in 2014. Protecting our children and our citizens will require us to come together to find real solutions that cover a broad range of factors that have contributed to these horrific incidents.
    I firmly believe that an attempt to promote appropriate gun safety measures can be done without infringing upon law-abiding citizens' right to own firearms or unduly burdening the hunting and sportsmanship culture of Missouri. Weapons designed primarily for the use of soldiers to kill people in war are not used in hunting and can be reasonably limited without jeopardizing any rights under the Second Amendment. I believe the horror of the Newtown shootings makes clear that we must get to work protecting our communities and our children from mass slaughter, while also protecting our Second Amendment rights. I am hopeful that the National Rifle Association, a significant voice in this discussion, will be a constructive part of this dialogue.
    Even as I welcome this renewed debate, please know that I will continue to protect the Second Amendment Rights of law-abiding citizens to safely own and use appropriate firearms. In the past, I have voted to permit residents of the District of Columbia to own and purchase firearms. I also supported an amendment to a spending bill that would prevent funding for any international organization, including the United Nations, that places a tax on any firearm owned by a United States citizen. I have opposed other inappropriate measures, such as forcing Missouri to accept other states' firearms laws.
    As your United States Senator, I will keep your thoughts in mind anytime Congress considers gun-related legislation. In the wake of the Newtown tragedy, my prayers are with the students and staff at Sandy Hook Elementary, and with their families. All Americans are outraged at senseless and criminal gun violence no matter where they may fall in the debate on guns in American society. A renewed national conversation has begun and we must all be a constructive and open-minded part of it. There is middle ground here, where this nation can come together with sensible laws that prevent the mass murder of innocent citizens, while we continue to respect our Constitution and its Second Amendment rights.
    Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue.
    Sincerely,

Claire McCaskill
    United States Senator
    P.S. If you would like more information about resources that can help Missourians, or what I am doing in the Senate on your behalf, please sign up for my email newsletter at Claire McCaskill | U.S. Senator for Missouri.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Weapons designed primarily for the use of soldiers to kill people in war are not used in hunting and can be reasonably limited without jeopardizing any rights under the Second Amendment.
    Someone needs to do some research and understand what they are talking about.
    The loss of so many beautiful children in a mass shooting that involved an assault rifle with ammunition clips that held large numbers of bullets makes clear that we need to revisit the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 and review permissible magazine ammunition sizes.
    I think that the People of Missouri need to reconsider her being their senator.

Wait, they arent only in my state? How do these people get elected? As you both noted, she has missed the point, considerably.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    That's the other Second Amendment; the one that exists in her fantasy land.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I'm very tempted to write her back, but i'm afraid my response won't be as nice as the first letter I wrote and that will get me nowhere.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not a winner...
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Yeah, I felt the same way when I received the same letter. I just wrote her again without addressing her stupidity and acted like she never received anything from me, which from her perspective, she has not.

She's a liberal and she does't support the Second Amendment. She need to be voted out of office.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Someone needs to do some research and understand what they are talking about.

I think that the People of Missouri need to reconsider her being their senator.
    Yeah...we tried....but she got reelected in November anyway

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock40cal View Post
    Yeah...we tried....but she got reelected in November anyway
    Yeah, well you'll remember that 6 months before the election it was pretty much a given that she wouldn't get another term. Then Akin had to go and bravely illustrate how incredibly stupid he was. Then the Republican party didn't force him out or come out and openly back anyone who had a viable chance.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Yeah, well you'll remember that 6 months before the election it was pretty much a given that she wouldn't get another term. Then Akin had to go and bravely illustrate how incredibly stupid he was. Then the Republican party didn't force him out or come out and openly back anyone who had a viable chance.
    Yep I remember... still shakin my head about it...

VIP Member
    In addition to all the above, you might want to remind her that the Columbine shooting took place in the middle of the last AWB. Then you can ask her why she thinks this one will work so much differently than the last one.
    ANGLICO likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock40cal View Post
    Yep I remember... still shakin my head about it...
    Well, I was planning on waiting for a while, but I will offer this suggestion based on what I plan to do. I'm going to write a letter(s) to the Republican party leadership and call them out and hold them responsible for allowing that situation to assure McCaskill a victory. Every party needs to stop expecting votes because of their initial. They need to be taken to task for their actions and decisions. McCaskill's victory is owed to the Republican party and their inaction during that situation. I realize they only had three months to change course, but change course they should have done; even if it mean throwing their full support behind the Libertarian candidate. Anything they did would have been better than sticking their hands in their pockets and gazing at the sky while whistling. They alienated a ton of voters and I can all but guarantee you that McCaskill received enough votes to win because of it. Ether people voted for her because it was a vote against Akin, or they just didn't vote at all.
    Maximpactguns and Doghandler like this.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    In addition to all the above, you might want to remind her that the Columbine shooting took place in the middle of the last AWB. Then you can ask her why she thinks this one will work so much differently than the last one.
    White House weighs broad gun-control agenda in wake of Newtown shootings

I think this proposed ban and legislation is going to reach even further than the 94-04 ban by encompassing more weapons and magazine types as well as discouraging and punishing (via taxes) retailers who sell firearms and rewarding (taxes and/or funnelled cash) those who stop or significantly limit firearm sales.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Well, I was planning on waiting for a while, but I will offer this suggestion based on what I plan to do. I'm going to write a letter(s) to the Republican party leadership and call them out and hold them responsible for allowing that situation to assure McCaskill a victory. Every party needs to stop expecting votes because of their initial. They need to be taken to task for their actions and decisions. McCaskill's victory is owed to the Republican party and their inaction during that situation. I realize they only had three months to change course, but change course they should have done; even if it mean throwing their full support behind the Libertarian candidate. Anything they did would have been better than sticking their hands in their pockets and gazing at the sky while whistling. They alienated a ton of voters and I can all but guarantee you that McCaskill received enough votes to win because of it. Ether people voted for her because it was a vote against Akin, or they just didn't vote at all.
    I am sooooo glad I left Missouri. I cannot believe that ugly woman was re-elected. She obviously has NO clue on what the 2nd Amendment means.

The left and women base decisions on emotions. Facts do not correlate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links