Washington Senator Maria Cantwell - Page 2

Washington Senator Maria Cantwell

This is a discussion on Washington Senator Maria Cantwell within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; " I want to protect your rights, right up to the point I disagree with you having them" ........ what she just said. Please contribute ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Washington Senator Maria Cantwell

" I want to protect your rights, right up to the point I disagree with you having them" ........ what she just said.

Please contribute to whomever runs against her in the next election.... let her know your sentiments...... and consider a 'recall' petition. It may not be won, but sure gets their attention in a hurry.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Do people actually believe them when they say they support the 2A? Because they don't even know what it means when they say it. Or maybe they understand exactly what they are saying "I will say whatever it takes to make foolish and easily manipulated people vote for me."

It raises my bloodpressure every time these anti's say "I support the 2A" and then say we need to ban "assault rifles". Those two statements ARE MOST DEFINITLY mutually exclusive.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Do people actually believe them when they say they support the 2A? Because they don't even know what it means when they say it. Or maybe they understand exactly what they are saying "I will say whatever it takes to make foolish and easily manipulated people vote for me."

It raises my bloodpressure every time these anti's say "I support the 2A" and then say we need to ban "assault rifles". Those two statements ARE MOST DEFINITLY mutually exclusive.
    It's not just politicians. You hear "Gun people", many of them on this very forum, who support additional "regulation" yet claim to support the "second".

Yeah, lots of quotes, because I think it's "bull feces".
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Cantwell became a multimillionaire with the stock options from RealNetworks. In August 2000, during her Senate campaign, Cantwell sold about 110,000 shares of RealNetworks stock at around $44/share.

In the waning weeks of the 2000 campaign, the Federal Election Commission ruled that Cantwell violated federal campaign finance law by securing $3.8 million in bank loans for her campaign and failing to properly disclose the loans until January 30, 2001.[20] The complaint alleged that Cantwell had received a $600,000 line of credit without sufficient collateral and another $1,000,000, all at a preferential interest rate. After review, the Federal Election Commission sent a letter of admonishment, saying that the loans were "made on a basis that assures repayment and that each loan bore the usual and customary interest rate."[21]

Maria Cantwell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    There have been several elections stolen or bought illegally in WA. Most notably would be the two terms of current Gov. Christine Gregoire. She was elected because more dead people voted for her.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    The letter I received from her is almost word-for-word the same. I especially "like" the closing remark about further "assistance". No response yet from Patty Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    There have been several elections stolen or bought illegally in WA. Most notably would be the two terms of current Gov. Christine Gregoire. She was elected because more dead people voted for her.
    After three recounts when the live ones kept disappearing...
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Noooooo, that's not a form letter at all.

Funny part is, I didn't mention the Sandy Hook shooting in anything I've sent out.

Dear (livewire),

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

All Washingtonians – and all Americans – offer our deepest condolences to the families of the 20 children and six school staff members who were killed in this senseless attack. Our thoughts and prayers are with the community of Newtown, as its residents heal from this incomprehensible tragedy.

This horrific attack highlights several issues that must be addressed promptly in order to better protect against such inexplicable violence. We need to get powerful assault weapons off our streets. And we need to strengthen services for the mentally ill and their families.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
    Maria Cantwell
    United States Senator

-- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    Good point.

There's a great deal of obfuscation with them that's just dishonest.

Join the NRA and write your reps if you want to keep your firearms gentlemen.
    I would say the best way to keep your firearms is to just keep them. If you live in an area where someone is trying to take them away from you, move. If your neighbors all have guns, you're probably in the right place. Don't count on the government or a special interest group to take care of you.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links