Washington Senator Maria Cantwell

This is a discussion on Washington Senator Maria Cantwell within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dear ........., Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Washington Senator Maria Cantwell

Thumbs down Washington Senator Maria Cantwell

Dear .........,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

All Washingtonians – and all Americans – offer our deepest condolences to the families of the 20 children and six school staff members who were killed in this senseless attack. Our thoughts and prayers are with the community of Newtown, as its residents heal from this incomprehensible tragedy.

This horrific attack highlights several issues that must be addressed promptly in order to better protect against such inexplicable violence. We need to get powerful assault weapons off our streets. And we need to strengthen services for the mentally ill and their families.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
    Maria Cantwell
    United States Senator

I still haven't heard back from my other Senator, but I expect a similar response from her as well.
    Shrieken

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shrieken View Post
    I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns.
    In a word, no, you don't.
    phreddy, 8th ID, BigStick and 3 others like this.

Politicians are like trucking company dispatchers. Everytime they open there mouth there telling a big fat lie.
    Anubis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    In a word, no, you don't.
    That's three words...
    Darrow75, KBSR and TX expat like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    That's three words...
    quit being such a smart donkey.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Oh, if it only I could.
    TX expat likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Oh, if it only I could.
    TX expat likes this.
    Clint Eastwood

"I support the Second Amendment" That's what all anti-gunownership politicians say. It gives them cover by the media and uninformed masses.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

And that is often times qualified with something along the lines of, my grandfather knew a guy who was related to someone, who knew someone else that used to hunt.
    8th ID likes this.

VIP Member
    Well that was an uninformed response and she contradicts herself.

Sounds like your elected official's position on the 2nd amendment might not be in alignment with your position.

Consider moving to an area of the country where the current elected official's position on the 2nd amendment is more in alignment with your position.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Welcome to Washington, you must be new here.

Cantwell and Murray are about as far left as you can get. Our Reps are pretty balanced, as is our State Legislature because most of our districts are pretty right-leaning. But when it comes to statewide votes, the left generally gets the call. I've seen a lot of drifting to the right in the last few years, but there's still a long way to go before we get anyone that's not a Liberal Progressive.
    RemMod597 likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    "I support the Second Amendment" That's what all anti-gunownership politicians say. It gives them cover by the media and uninformed masses.
    Good point.

There's a great deal of obfuscation with them that's just dishonest.

Join the NRA and write your reps if you want to keep your firearms gentlemen.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

We here in Washington State have been living without any real senate representation for a long time. A dog turd with a "democrat" label could easily get elected here. Thankfully, where I live in central Washington we have conservative representation in the house. As bad as Patty Murray is...Maria Cantwell is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Welcome to Washington, you must be new here.
    Far from it. This was exactly the response I was expecting, all the more reason I felt the need to write. Murry still hasn't responded, but IF she does I expect much the same.

I posted the response because I am keeping an informal tally of how many Senators are for/against the Weapon Ban, and thought others might want the same info.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrieken View Post
    Far from it. This was exactly the response I was expecting, all the more reason I felt the need to write. Murry still hasn't responded, but IF she does I expect much the same.
    The whistle sound was the joke going over your head

I filled out a couple of those bill response letters on POPVOX, I'm sure I have an identical form letter on it's way. That's what I got last time, after all.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links