Reminded of a speech on Star Trek

This is a discussion on Reminded of a speech on Star Trek within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, I admit to being a bit of a nerd, but a great speech on what we face: Captain Jean-Luc Picard: You know, there are ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By kapnketel
  • 2 Post By 1MoreGoodGuy

Thread: Reminded of a speech on Star Trek

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

OK, I admit to being a bit of a nerd, but a great speech on what we face:

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Haha I love it! There's a lot of wisdom in Star Trek. I'm actually about to fire up an episode now :D

You didn't finish Picards speech:
    Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on we're all damaged.
    From the Drumhead episode...season 4-episode 21
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    sdprof and kapnketel like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I just watched that episode again about a week ago. Very timely, and very true. Had planned to use the "quote" in one of my upcoming letters.

Bravo to the writers on that one...

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    That's one of the things I love about Sci-fi, and specifically Star Trek. It is really a social-political comentary, that speaks to the human condition. Sometimes people have to see their own prejudices and irrationalities in an alien race before they can understand how wrong or evil it is. There really are a lot of great lessons from Gene Rodenberry (this is the part where my wife rolls her eyes and stops listening to me).
    Walk softly ...

Links