Gun discharges at Fayetteville mall, hits teenage girl - Page 2

Gun discharges at Fayetteville mall, hits teenage girl

This is a discussion on Gun discharges at Fayetteville mall, hits teenage girl within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by rocky Yep, thanks to medics , she probably will survive. Were I the girls father, the same couldnt be said for the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun discharges at Fayetteville mall, hits teenage girl

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Yep, thanks to medics , she probably will survive.
    Were I the girls father, the same couldnt be said for the BOY....

(He'd survive, he'd just wish he was never born.....)
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Good read, but very confusing....
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    To our military medics--unarmed heroes and heroines!
    Very true. This girl was extremely lucky there were military medics there. A sucking chest wound is one of the things a military medic would be very familiar with how to handle with no medical equipment. Unfortunately it's very easy to die of asphyxiation from a sucking chest wound because people will put pressure on the wound. That's bad because air needs to go out of the wound, but not in and would only contribute to their death. Very lucky indeed.

Cheers.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    It does not speak well for the Fayetteville PD that they are unable to determine the owner of the weapon, when the victim has identified him as her boyfriend. Neither that they are unable to charge him with anything without the victim's permission. Is anyone else as lost as I am on this?
    You said exactly what I was thinking.

The DA's office represents THE PEOPLE, NOT this idiot girl. Since when does the DA need the permission of a victim before prosecuting someone for a crime?

I say, bring charges, and subpoena the girl to testify against her idiot boyfriend. Let her sit in jail for contempt if she wants to protect him by clamming up.

And talk about a selfish decision! She doesn't want moron to get in trouble, so she declines to press charges. Well, is it difficult for her to imagine that her idiot boyfriend's negligence could just as easily have caused the death of, say, someone's 4-year-old daughter there in the mall? How would she feel about protecting her boyfriend if that had happened?

I'm second-guessing whether it was really a good thing that the medics saved such a person. She is standing in the way of the DA's office protecting the public from a reckless 19-year-old criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I certainly don't condone gun "accidents", but sometimes gun accidents do happen. They happen because people are not perfect 100% of the time. I think we have a tendancy to really "beat up" someone that has had a gun accident. Yet we don't see that same attitude about other accidents not involving guns. E.g. A guy cuts off a finger on a saw he's used safely for 20 years. We don't trash the guy.

It may very well be that he or she reached into the wrong pocket for something, and in the process of trying to remove their hand, the gun fell out.

Or it may be one of pure negligence and recklessness. We don't know yet and we may never know.

I'm wondering why the gun's drop safety allowed it to discharge?
    Tangle, I'm trying to piece this together and don't have any more info on it than the rest of the group here.

What I'm envisioning is a wanna-be gangsta teen, 19 years old, carring a POS gun in a pocket. The fact that he's 19, not legal to be carrying, carrying in a pocket, makes me suspect that he probably had the cheapest crap gun he could afford.

Arguments can be made against going full-bore on someone for having an accident, since we all have accidents. But this kid should not have had a gun on him in the first place, and that takes precedence over being forgiving to him for the accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I think we have a tendancy to really "beat up" someone that has had a gun accident. Yet we don't see that same attitude about other accidents not involving guns. E.g. A guy cuts off a finger on a saw he's used safely for 20 years. We don't trash the guy.

Well, one observation I would make is that if a guy cuts off his own finger with a saw, the negligence he engaged in order to do it did not endanger others.

When someone is negligent with a handgun, as was true in this case, everyone in the vicinity, without prejudice, is endangered.

He's probably LUCKY that he shot his girlfriend, and not, for example, someone's toddler. If he had shot a toddler, you can bet he'd be in jail this very minute, facing some very serious charges. None of this, "We're not sure whose gun it was" baloney. They'd have leaned on the girlfriend to make a statement they could use to arrest him on reckless endangerment, illegal possession of a firearm, attempted manslaughter, who knows what else. And he and his family would be targeted by a very hefty negligence lawsuit.

I was raised in Fayetteville and now live 40 miles away. What kills me is that two days later in the Fayetteville Observer newspaper there was an editorial about how concealed carry laws need to be enforced and how if you had a CCW you learned in class that you should never carry a round in the chamber. Pardon me? I learned no such thing! I always carry a round in the chamber and always ensure my gun is safely carried. Many guns also have striker plates (I think that's what they are called) to prevent a gun from going off if it is dropped. The PD definitely need to go after the person carrying the gun and the owner of the gun. Glad to hear the girl is getting better, though.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

In My CCW Class...

Quote Originally Posted by czman2006 View Post
    I was raised in Fayetteville and now live 40 miles away. What kills me is that two days later in the Fayetteville Observer newspaper there was an editorial about how concealed carry laws need to be enforced and how if you had a CCW you learned in class that you should never carry a round in the chamber. Pardon me? I learned no such thing! I always carry a round in the chamber and always ensure my gun is safely carried. Many guns also have striker plates (I think that's what they are called) to prevent a gun from going off if it is dropped. The PD definitely need to go after the person carrying the gun and the owner of the gun. Glad to hear the girl is getting better, though.
    I learned that you need a PERMIT...to CCW...19 years old?...why did he have a gun in the first place?
    One of these two kids is related to the police chief....?????
    Something smells funny here, and it has nothing to do with 'bean dip' eaten 24 hours earlier...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I live in NC also and this story does smell a bit. Whatever the facts are, they will probably be misreported by the anti-crowd.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I learned that you need a PERMIT...to CCW...19 years old?...why did he have a gun in the first place?
    One of these two kids is related to the police chief....?????
    Something smells funny here, and it has nothing to do with 'bean dip' eaten 24 hours earlier...

OMO

ret
    That's what smells -- obviously too young to legally even have a handgun much less a CCW. At least the Watergate cover-up wasn't quite so obvious!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    I am local and have some "inside info".
    Do not believe everything you read about this story.
    FACT:
    -No one, other than the GF, saw the shot being fired.
    -The "shooter" attempted to blend into the crowd after the shot
    -The gun was "found" on the ground
    -The GF was VERY uncooperative with authorities
    -Under NC law, the "shooter" violated the law by even possessing the firearm

All of this adds up to a lot of ??????? about what really happened.

However, the signs at cross creek mall are NOT properly posted and do NOT qualify under NC law to forbid CCW. Under NC General Statute 14-415.11 "A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun... where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises". The mall DOES NOT have signs at all the entrances and they DO NOT have ANY "conspicuous notices".
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Someone with Service knowledge here correct me if I'm wrong, but could a 19 yo active duty soldier not have a CCW? And, given what PolarBear says, did GF try to get "frisky", and try to flash BF's gun, and shot herself, as/if he tried to keep her from pulling it out......?

Some one needs to start a new thread for accidental firearm drops. My S&W had a hammer block but many pistols are hammer-less. What amount of force dose it take to set the pin on the primer? Dose it have to land butt first? Dose a pistol such as the popular P3AT have any safeguards(its designed for pocket carry)? This also give on the advice to never grab for a falling firearm in another thread.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Someone with Service knowledge here correct me if I'm wrong, but could a 19 yo active duty soldier not have a CCW? And, given what PolarBear says, did GF try to get "frisky", and try to flash BF's gun, and shot herself, as/if he tried to keep her from pulling it out......?
    In NC you must be 21 to legally obtain a CCW (I also think that is the same in most places). However you slice it, the BF was NOT legally able to CCW.
    The only thing I can add to this is. There may be other things going on with this story that may be more important than a simple weapons charge. Just because charges have not been filed, does not mean they wont be filed.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

She's in critical condition, but okay to sign a discontinuation form?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links