Gun Bans and Executive Action

This is a discussion on Gun Bans and Executive Action within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From the article: The Washington Post reported over the weekend that President Obama was considering measures beyond reinstating a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Gun Bans and Executive Action

Gun Bans and Executive Action

From the article:

The Washington Post reported over the weekend that President Obama was considering measures beyond reinstating a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. According to the paper, the task force is considering measures like universal background checks for gun buyers, a national gun database, strengthening mental-health checks and tougher penalties for people carrying guns near schools or giving them to minors.
    So now they want to further restrict the movements of law abiding concealed carry holders by enacting laws that would prevent us from even being "near schools". Who wants to bet that they will make it a felony to be in possession of firearm within 1 mile of any school/learning center/child care facility?

Obama aides say the president still plans to act quickly on Biden's proposals. They worry that as the shock of the Newtown shooting fades, so, too, will the prospects that pro-gun lawmakers will work with the White House to tighten restrictions.
    Let's not let this tragedy go to waste.

Biden's recommendations are likely to include proposals for legislation, as well as executive action Obama can sign into law without lawmakers' approval.
    We already know that Obama has met with Holder to discuss how the supreme ruler can, once again, bypass Congress to further his agenda...this time he wants to restrict your 2nd amendment Rights.

Read more: White House ramps up talks on gun control measures | Fox News
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Barry wants to push something thru because they know Americans have a short memory. He needs to move fast before people can think it over and come to a reasonable solution other than gun control. I believe they are aware of the Country's financial burden and at some point will have to cut off the free stuff. They want to make sure to "disarm" the subjects before they cut off the gravy train.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Once he violates his oath to protect the constitution, what is the process for impeachment?
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    See ya later, honey. Gonna head on down to the schoolyard and give some minors a few firearms. Who actually believes in this nonsense?

VIP Member
    How about tougher penalties for people who knowingly facilitate straw buys and smuggling across the borders to drug cartels?
    WonderBra and BigStick like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    How about tougher penalties for people who knowingly facilitate straw buys and smuggling across the borders to drug cartels?
    Ohhhh burrrnnn, someone at the whitehouse will goto jail then...ha!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    From the article:

So now they want to further restrict the movements of law abiding concealed carry holders by enacting laws that would prevent us from even being "near schools". Who wants to bet that they will make it a felony to be in possession of firearm within 1 mile of any school/learning center/child care facility?
    I remember a number of years ago someone used the greater Phoenix area as an example of the 1000 foot rule for gun free zones around schools. Using some mapping software they marked each school with a circle of 1000 feet on a street map. There were very few places that you could travel to without going through a gun free school zone.

Article I Section 1 of the Constitution states that "All legislative powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives."

Of course, that hasn't stopped any elected presidents from sidestepping Congress. So long as courts recognize the existence of such exec orders and Congress doesn't specifically step in to disallow such things, it'll continue to essentially be the law of the land similar to any other that Congress has passed.

IMO, if the duly elected Congress cannot be persuaded to back a concept, then it shouldn't be allowed, considered or accepted as lawful. And the only way that is going to happen is via a Constitutional amendment barring any E.O.'s as instruments of law, specifically dictating zero legislative authority exists outside of Congress. (Though, one would think Article I Section 1 should be enough. But that's too simple for politicos and lawyers to accept as the People's will; we couldn't possibly have meant it.)

Gotta love the power of willful blindness combined with unbridled desire for power.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

He's not just trying to sidestep Congress. The framers laid out a means to amend the Constitution -- they didn't want "legislative amendments". Obama is attempting to bypass the entire Constitution. Again.

Bait and switch. Why worry about the fiscal situation of the US when we can talk about gun control that will not pass?
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    He's not just trying to sidestep Congress. The framers laid out a means to amend the Constitution -- they didn't want "legislative amendments". Obama is attempting to bypass the entire Constitution. Again.
    And Congress is lapping at the heels like a willing puppy, too concerned about reelection and unconcerned about halting circumvention of its authority. Unsurprising, but all the more infuriating.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links