Man accidentally shot at public shooting range

This is a discussion on Man accidentally shot at public shooting range within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 357 shotgun? The gun exploded? I feel my IQ dropping... http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchiv...ry=tp6np10.htm PUNTA GORDA -- A class on gun safety took an ironic turn Thursday when ...

Thread: Man accidentally shot at public shooting range

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

357 shotgun? The gun exploded? I feel my IQ dropping...

http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchiv...ry=tp6np10.htm

PUNTA GORDA -- A class on gun safety took an ironic turn Thursday when a student was accidentally shot in the leg.

The incident occurred around shortly after 1 p.m. at the public shooting range at the Cecil M. Webb Wildlife Management Area in Punta Gorda. Three students were receiving concealed weapons permit instruction with certified instructor Ron Silverberg when student Jim Paquette, 32, of Port Charlotte, handed Silverberg his weapon, a Charlotte County Sheriff's Office report said. The .357 shotgun went off, and the bullet went through a wooden table bench into Paquette's leg.

Paquette was taken to Lee Memorial Hospital in Fort Myers, where he was treated and released. The injury was considered serious but not life-threatening.

"Guns, even in the safest conditions, have some volatility," said Bob Carpenter, spokesman for the Sheriff's Office. "It was a good example of what not to do."

Witnesses told police that Silverberg told the students to check the weapons to make sure they were unloaded just before the gun detonated, the report said.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Some dubious ''misreporting'' there!!! Perhaps they meant to write 357 Mangun

Are there any gun savvy journalists around - anywhere?!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95Carry,
    Man you got that right! A serious injury but he was treated and released? Come on! How dumb do they think we are? Probably had splinters of the wood in his leg.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Are there any gun savvy journalists around - anywhere?!
    If there are, I can guarantee you that they aren't working for the Sun Newspaper. They have papers for the entire SWFL area. They cover, Charlotte Cnty (where this happened), Lee Cnty, and Sarsota Cnty and Desoto Cnty.

Even their classified adds are screwed up. They put adds in the sporting goods section for all kinds of stuff, like riffles, 30 aught 6, 30 car bean, and man lickers (oh wait, maybe that one was in the personals section?).

My dad and I read it just for laughs and call each other when we see this stupidity on parade.

I am gonna have to look into getting one of those .357 shotguns though, with "bullets", I just hope they don't detonate.

Added info: Here is the direct link to the classified section where they currently have a 12 GUAGE, another gun with a NIKKON scope, and some kind of gun with a grip and FOREHAND

http://www.sun-herald.com/classified...1&intAdStart=1
    Last edited by sgtD; October 19th, 2006 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Adding more insult to injury.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    The .357 shotgun went off, and the bullet went through a wooden table bench into Paquette's leg.
    It truly amazes me how firearms magically seem to 'go off' when someone is handling them. I don't see too many stories where a firearm in a safe or sitting on a table 'goes off'. Why not point out that someone unintentionally SET it off via the trigger or hammer and stress safe handling?

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    It truly amazes me how firearms magically seem to 'go off' when someone is handling them. I don't see too many stories where a firearm in a safe or sitting on a table 'goes off'. Why not point out that someone unintentionally SET it off via the trigger or hammer and stress safe handling?
    Sarcasm) I didn't go off. It DETONATED. You know, like a TICKING TIME BOMB. (End sarcasm) That's what guns are in he eyes of people like this reporter.

Sounds more like: shot due to negligence, stupidity and/or head-buried-in-sand. Accidents are when lightning strikes.

The gun just "went off," eh? Uh-huh.

LMFT:

1. Loaded -- A gun is always loaded. Treat it as such.
    2. Muzzle control -- Do not point the muzzle at anything you're not prepared to destroy.
    3. Finger control -- Do not put the finger on the trigger or inside the trigger guard until you're ready to fire.
    4. Target & what's beyond -- Know what your target is, as well as what is beyond it.
    5. (should be) Go back to #1 and read this list again.

At a "training" course. Oops.

Reminds me of a dolt at the range last weekend. He kept a monstrous range bag behind him on the bench, off the line. That bag was full of his various pistols and revolvers. His ammo was in there as well. The fool would go back to the bag, pick up the next weapon, load the damned thing there, at the bag, and then swing the muzzle around as he brought the gun back to the line to be fired. I spoke with him briefly, then noticed in horror what he had been doing. I asked that he bring the unloaded pistols to the firing line, with correct muzzle control, then go back for the ammo, then load it at the firing line table. The guy was a WW2 and Korean War vet with little else to learn ... through, his real trouble was how much he had forgotten. Damn fool was going to get someone shot or killed, and didn't care all that much. Needless to say: I left.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Exclamation Striving for accountability.

This is not an attempted hijacking! but, I had to do it.

I was so upset with this article that I wrote the following to the Editor, human resources director, and publisher of the paper. I also sent a copy via cc to the reporter.

I have just read the article titled "Man accidentally shot at public shooting range" and I am completely appalled at the inaccuracies found throughout.

The reporter claims that the gun in question was a 357 shotgun, and that the parties were involved in a concealed weapons class. A 357 is a handgun, not a shotgun. Though there are some carbine type "long guns" chambered for the 357 cartridge, I hardly think that any type of long gun, be it shotgun or carbine, would be present at a concealed weapons class for obvious reasons.

Wait! OK, given the article, maybe it's not so obvious to some, so I'll spell it out. Long guns are not readily concealable, so if it was indeed 357, then it was most likely a handgun. However, at this point, due to lack of any realistic consistency within the text, I have a difficult time deriving any accurate mental depiction of what actually occurred.

She also claims that the gun "detonated". Guns discharge, bombs detonate. If proper word usage is not adhered to among the news media, then where will it be adhered to?

I don't want to make this into a personal attack on the reporter; in fact, I feel sorry for her, because she has made herself and your institution look foolish in the eyes of anyone who has a remote familiarity with firearms. In fact, thanks to the Internet, this reporter is being laughed at all across the country right now. I know this because an associate in Franklin, VA sent me the link to the article which is posted on a worldwide message board.

I could go on, but I would hope that by now you get the point. When an article contains glaring inaccuracies such as those detailed above, the entire story losses credibility in the eyes of the reader, and frankly, so does your newspaper. This is not the first time that I have seen this type of botched reporting. In fact it seems to be quite frequent throughout most media outlets these days, but just because everyone else does it, doesn't make it OK.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to send someone out who is at least vaguely familiar with the subject on which they are reporting. (In this case, firearms) If that is impossible, then at least make sure that the reporter gets the facts straight from a person who does know, and/or provide some type of knowledgeable editorial oversight to reduce inaccuracy.

While I don't presume to be an expert, as an avid shooter, ex-Marine, conservationist, Environmental Studies Major, all around outdoorsman, and 3rd generation local resident, I have plenty of knowledge and a network of very knowledgeable contacts in these areas and would be more than willing to help. If you would like, I would be willing to assist you in this endeavor, as I would see it as a public service to do so. If you have questions regarding firearms, hunting, fishing, wildlife, ecology, or other related items, please feel free to call me at (***)***-**** and I would be glad to assist in any way I can; both for the sake of your credibility and as a service to your readership.
    Last edited by sgtD; October 19th, 2006 at 11:57 AM.

Lead Moderator
    There really isn't much about that story that sounds correct, I even have trouble picturing how the guy got shot in the leg through the bench without some real contortions.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Whoever gave the reporter the "info" was probably making up all kinds of bs to see if they would run with it. At least that sounds like something I might do, since I have such admoration for the press.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Could the .357 maybe have been loaded with shotshells (aka snakeshot) and thus the reporter thought it was a shotgun?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Question

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Could the .357 maybe have been loaded with shotshells (aka snakeshot) and thus the reporter thought it was a shotgun?
    I thought of that, but really doubt it. The shooting benches there are consructed of 2x6s, so I doubt that snake shot would penetrate.

Secondly, I think she's just in lala land because she called it a "bullet" so that would theorectically rule out a shot charge. Unless your a reporter.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    "It was a good example of what not to do."
    If it is such a good example, why not share the actual safety errors that caused the negligent discharge? Or are we to assume that simply being in the presence of a gun (or -gasp- holding a gun) is the example of what not to do?
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

"Accidental?" NO-NO-NO-NO Negligent YES-YES-YES-YES
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Links