Stanley Mccrystal in favor of AWB

This is a discussion on Stanley Mccrystal in favor of AWB within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Retired Gen McCrystal, interviewed on Morning Joe this morning, came out against civillians having anything like the M16/M4 he carried. Wanna bet he has something ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Stanley Mccrystal in favor of AWB

Retired Gen McCrystal, interviewed on Morning Joe this morning, came out against civillians having anything like the M16/M4 he carried. Wanna bet he has something more than a 38 Revolver packed away for his protection?

Stanley McChrystal: Gun Control Requires 'Serious Action'

It's POLITICAL correctness. It's the "way to go" for most people exposed to the media, because speaking in favor of guns would be perceived as lack of compassion for those victims in recent mass shootings. The General, and many others, have an image to "protect." That's all.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    It's POLITICAL correctness. It's the "way to go" for most people exposed to the media, because speaking in favor of guns would be perceived as lack of compassion for those victims in recent mass shootings. The General, and many others, have an image to "protect." That's all.
    Understand that, but we do NOT need another voice in the Anti-gun crowd. There is already enough political correctness going around and too little Constitutional correctness!

The heck with the politicians & the "rich & famous" with their double standards.
    Last edited by rstickle; January 8th, 2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Language work around

Quote Originally Posted by SigPapa226 View Post
    Understand that, but we do NOT need another voice in the Anti-gun crowd. There is already enough political correctness going around and to little Constitutional correctness!

The heck with the politicians & the "rich & famous" with their double standards.
    Yep, and every time someone is interviewed on TV or the newspaper/magazine, and it's asked loaded questions, he/she will likely respond the same way, and the number of those "voices" will grow. I bet you that you invite some of those same people to an NRA/GOA/SAF event, and they will be the most pro-gun advocates in the world. They will cater to their audience.
    Last edited by rstickle; January 8th, 2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Language infraction copied in quote
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    Its the "Top of mind" awareness. The media must keep talking about it so the President can justify signing an EO. Really just smoke and mirrors, yes by design. They have other bigger problems but this is a good distraction.
    The "general" probably has an armed guard at times and I bet they have a weapon with the same platform.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.

I love Gen McChrystal. I really do. I worked under him and we all loved him. That said, we also saw enough of his personality to say this: If he has political aspirations, he's nuts! That and, if he really believes that we don't live in a bloodthirsty culture, he spent too much of his life on the compound or is in denial. That's really the root of the problem!

The interview was on MSNBC any non liberal viewpoint would not have been allowed. Based on his remarks, I wonder if the General understands why the founding fathers felt it was necessary to include the 2nd amendment to the Constitution.

VIP Member
    The "general" is bought and paid for. The careless screw up that ended his career and the manner in which he was "allowed" to go out insure that he will parrot whatever he is told. His retirement is worth more to him than the oath he took.
    ErnieNWillis and Betty like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    From the article (emphasis mine):
    Asked what his message was to the National Rifle Association and the House Judiciary Committee, he said, "I think we have to look at the situation in America. The number of people killed by firearms is extraordinary compared to other nations. I don't think we're a bloodthirsty culture, and we need to look at everything we can do to safeguard our people."
    Has anyone else noticed how the anti's always point to some figure or comment that everyone, including the pro-2a community, recognize as a valid problem or issue and then infer that the answer to that issue is to place additional controls and restrictions on the law abiding? This is not a valid argument. It is a sales tactic as frequently seen in TV commercials: "Drink our brand of beer and you will be magically transformed from some dull bore to the life of party with stunningly beautiful members of the opposite gender lined up to answer your every whim." As with the commercials, the reality never matches the hype.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    The "general" is bought and paid for. The careless screw up that ended his career and the manner in which he was "allowed" to go out insure that he will parrot whatever he is told. His retirement is worth more to him than the oath he took.
    At the risk of distraction from the issues, "the careless screw up" was McChrystal's criticism of Joe Biden's decision to send smaller security teams to Afghanistan instead of the regular troop numbers that McChyrstal requested, at least as reported in Rolling Stone. You might say he was calling Biden out. Here, as in Vietnam, there was a political decision that goes against military recommendation.
    Yet, speaking of Rolling Stone and MSNBC, it seems that asking McChyrstal about gun control is like asking singers in a rock and roll band about world peace. You may get an ignorant answer. But it's loud and clear and sells.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    From the article (emphasis mine):

Has anyone else noticed how the anti's always point to some figure or comment that everyone, including the pro-2a community, recognize as a valid problem or issue and then infer that the answer to that issue is to place additional controls and restrictions on the law abiding? This is not a valid argument. It is a sales tactic as frequently seen in TV commercials: "Drink our brand of beer and you will be magically transformed from some dull bore to the life of party with stunningly beautiful members of the opposite gender lined up to answer your every whim." As with the commercials, the reality never matches the hype.
    Here is an inconvenient figure. The FBI's annual crime statistics report says hammers and clubs kill more than rifles and shotguns. Though, it's true that hammers aren't evil, one can choose to drink beer or not or even unplug the TV, but, as Reagan says, "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth."
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Retired Gen McCrystal is apparently still trying to make amends for the utterly stupid way he killed his career. His self-inflicted career ender, was so egregious, it made me wonder if he hadn't done it on purpose, to get out from under the command of the current CIC. You know he's smarter than that, or I'd damn sure like to think so. Hard to believe he would have arrived at that rank, without having a lot on the ball.

My guess is he's trying to work his way back into the good graces of the administration, while he's peddling his new book. I remember another General that we thought was a Republican, only to find out he was a liberal democrat. I bet Colin Powell will come out in favor of his messiah's nonsensical proposals too. Shameful.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    At the risk of distraction from the issues, "the careless screw up" was McChrystal's criticism of Joe Biden's decision to send smaller security teams to Afghanistan instead of the regular troop numbers that McChyrstal requested, at least as reported in Rolling Stone.
    I'd say it was a little more than a criticism of Biden. The General and his staff openly mocked Biden and showed a great lack of respect for the civilian leadership that runs our country. I'm not saying that mocking Biden is a bad thing, but when you are wearing the uniform and you allow a situation like that to happen in an environment that will most likely not stay within the ranks, you've asked for the trouble you are going to get.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

The man said what he had to say to sell his BOOK. Follow the $$$$$$$ people. DANG! WAKE UP!!! He was on Hannity recently and was asked how he voted in 2012, he declined to answer saying that he was now a private citizen and wants to keep that private. I'm sure if he said he voted for Obama, that would slow sales of his book to Fox's audience.

He was on MSNBC and when the question about AR's came up, he could have said the same...He was on MSNBC and wants to sell his BOOK. $$$$$$$ GOT IT!
    TX expat and Betty like this.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

VIP Member
    Yeah, I know it was more than a statement of criticism. As I said, and as originally reported he and his staff were calling Biden out criticizing Obama, and maybe he didn't want the job. I doubt that he expects to profit from the book financially. Politically
    Last edited by Pistology; January 8th, 2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Clarity of attribution of original Rolling Stone report
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I have all the respect in the world for our military, but once you get into the high levels of brass, they turn into more politicians than warriors. He may be a great commander, but he is clearly ignorant on several issues regarding self-defense, the nature of society and humans, and the purpose of the 2A. His blindness to the purpose of the 2A is exactly the reason why it was written, to protect us from high ranking military officials and politicians trying to force us to do what is best for us wether we agree with them or not.
    Pistology and phreddy like this.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links