Ridiculous Arguments for Gun-Control

This is a discussion on Ridiculous Arguments for Gun-Control within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by pittypat21 Over the past couple days I've had to argue with some pretty opinionated and ill-informed individuals about gun-control. I've heard, and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Ridiculous Arguments for Gun-Control

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Over the past couple days I've had to argue with some pretty opinionated and ill-informed individuals about gun-control. I've heard, and refuted, some ridiculous arguments, such as:

-"The Second Amendment was written when all we had were muskets"
    A well trained Revolutionary War era soldier can fire 3 aimed shots in under a minute. One is all a well trained person needs. The fact that someone can shoot 10 or 30 means nothing. I may still only need 1 shot. The framers of the constitution wanted the public to have the same weapons as an army because at that time, they were planning to conscript the farmers and hunters to fight an invading army.

-"You want to put food on the table? One word: Safeway" [In regards to hunting]
    Well, can you buy fresh Venison at Safeway? I know in Florida no store carries it. Besides that, have you seen food prices? It's cheaper to be a hunter if you get lucky on a trip out in the field.

-"It's safer to live in a warzone than in America" [comparing total American deaths in 11 years of war to one year of gun-related homicides in America]
    People in Iraq, Somalia, Syria, Lybia, and Egypt would love to be able to live here and take their kids to school without fear of being blown up. Ask the people who live there if they feel safer there than they would here. I think that many of them dream of being able to come here.

-"Gun owners need to own the gun death problem and should be doing everything to reduce gun deaths. No; they want every dumb ass to own a gun with 100 round clips and no back ground checks."
    We educate people on safe handling, safe storage, and child safety. How is that not reducing gun deaths? Generalizations are nice, anti-gun groups would have you at the mercy of everyone who obtains a firearm illegally. Most guns used in crimes are stolen, or otherwise obtained from means other than a gun store.

-"To hell with the 2nd amendment. It was written to arm the country against the British. When was the last time the British tried to attack America. We have a standing military to protect us from foreign invaders."
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." is a quote by Isoroku Yamamoto who was commander in chief of the imperial Japanese navy during WWII. He didn't say "the army would push us back" he was talking about the average person who hunts or owns a handgun. He knew that we as a people would protect our land. That was long after the Revolution. Also there was a time when the British requested us to send them arms to fight an invader. We did so.

I could go on and on with the ridiculous things I've heard. What about you guys? What poor arguments have you encountered?
    I like these arguments if they are good natured with no yelling and such. They usually come from people who have no real knowledge or very little. I have included a few points of my own.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

Re: Ridiculous Arguments for Gun-Control

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I like these arguments if they are good natured with no yelling and such. They usually come from people who have no real knowledge or very little. I have included a few points of my own.
    Those rebuttals are fine.. But, the quote from the Japanese officer is bogus. To a good anti, this negates all of your arguments.

You must be prepared, with an anti, to make both factual, and emotional arguments. And your FACTS must be irrefutable, your emotional arguments based in fact.
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

Oakchas

You are right, however, the quote from Yamamoto is actually quite factual.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links