Ridiculous Arguments for Gun-Control

Ridiculous Arguments for Gun-Control

This is a discussion on Ridiculous Arguments for Gun-Control within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Over the past couple days I've had to argue with some pretty opinionated and ill-informed individuals about gun-control. I've heard, and refuted, some ridiculous arguments, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Ridiculous Arguments for Gun-Control

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array pittypat21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,496

    Ridiculous Arguments for Gun-Control

    Over the past couple days I've had to argue with some pretty opinionated and ill-informed individuals about gun-control. I've heard, and refuted, some ridiculous arguments, such as:

    -"The Second Amendment was written when all we had were muskets"

    -"You want to put food on the table? One word: Safeway" [In regards to hunting]

    -"It's safer to live in a warzone than in America" [comparing total American deaths in 11 years of war to one year of gun-related homicides in America]

    -"Gun owners need to own the gun death problem and should be doing everything to reduce gun deaths. No; they want every dumb ass to own a gun with 100 round clips and no back ground checks."

    -"To hell with the 2nd amendment. It was written to arm the country against the British. When was the last time the British tried to attack America. We have a standing military to protect us from foreign invaders."


    I could go on and on with the ridiculous things I've heard. What about you guys? What poor arguments have you encountered?
    tony1990 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC


  2. #2
    Member Array Clodbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    205
    They're all poor arguments. I wouldn't waste my time reading them, let alone responding. Those people live in a fantasy world and are immune to logic.
    mano3 likes this.

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array BigJon10125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,249
    Logic detracts from their emotional arguments. They are idiots and if we are not active in stopping it they will reap what they sow.
    BigJon


    "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

  4. #4
    Distinguished Member
    Array accessbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    -"To hell with the 2nd amendment. It was written to arm the country against the British. When was the last time the British tried to attack America. We have a standing military to protect us from foreign invaders."
    For that argument you should direct them to the Federalist Papers #46 by James Madison. As one of the attendees at the Constitutional Convention he goes into the reasoning behind the 2nd Amendment, as well as some other things, and specifically states that it is to keep tyrannical government from taking over.

    (the third paragraph from the BOTTOM)
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

  5. #5
    Member Array jrizzleP95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    177

    Ridiculous Arguments for Gun-Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    They're all poor arguments. I wouldn't waste my time reading them, let alone responding. Those people live in a fantasy world and are immune to logic.
    ^^^ this. I agree with this ^^^ I am lucky cause I don't have fb and am not on any social media sights therefore don't have to deal with online stupidity as much as the avg person. Feelsgoodman!
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

  6. #6
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Posts
    17,671
    The only reason they had muskets when they wrote the 2A was because they didn't have M-16s--yet.

    Offer to buy them a ticket so they can live in a war zone where they'll be safe.

    They think beef is raised in plastic-wrapped packages.

    Criminals need to own the gun death problem. The Antis can own the auto death problem.

    The 2A was written to protect us from everyone, not just the British.
    TVJ and niks like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  7. #7
    Member Array tony1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    454
    I am glad you took the time to confront their arguments with the facts about gun owners. You won"t change their warped minds however it does tend to pissed them off. That always makes my day when I pissed off someone that wants to destroy the 2A.

  8. #8
    Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1,627
    An AWB will decrease gun deaths, murders by other means will increase proportionally.

    FBI Data:

    Firearms: 67.8%
    Knives or other cutting instruments: 13.4%
    Personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.): 5.7%
    Blunt objects (clubs, hammers, etc.): 3.9%
    Other dangerous weapons: 9.2%
    US Army 1953-1977

    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

  9. #9
    Distinguished Member
    Array accessbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    An AWB will decrease gun deaths,
    Not by any noticeable amount. The issue is that those types of weapons (depending on which definition you use) is that they haven't been the ones propagating the gun violence. So, as with the last AWB, another isn't going to help (as if any would work anyway, as we know).
    Clodbert likes this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array pittypat21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,496
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    For that argument you should direct them to the Federalist Papers #46 by James Madison. As one of the attendees at the Constitutional Convention he goes into the reasoning behind the 2nd Amendment, as well as some other things, and specifically states that it is to keep tyrannical government from taking over.

    (the third paragraph from the BOTTOM)
    In response to that argument, I reminded him that the Americans that fought in the revolution were british men that were fighting off their own gov't.
    OldVet and darbo like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

  11. #11
    Member Array boatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    171
    I think you are taking the wrong attitude. People are all over the spectrum. If you just look black and white, we will lose. There are many people who do not know much about firearms. They are not anti, and not vehemently anti. For those people, explaining rationally will help. Making fun or being argumentative will lose. While there are 300 M guns in america, it is the minority who have guns, and a minority of them are on this forum (lots of people just interested in hunting during their 6 weeks of the year to get a deer, and lots of people who bought a gun to put in the closet safe 14 years ago and haven't opened it since).

    Unless you meet someone who is vehemently anti, I think it is our responsibility to explain, not antagonize. Where I work, someone made the comment, 'no one should have semi automatic guns. (this was in discussion of sandy hook). So I said your husband who hunts every occassion he can and carries a pistol with him when he does shouldn't have his pistol? She looked at me confused, as she did not realize this was semi automatic. Ooooh. So semi automatic doesn't mean an assault weapon? etc. Told her her husband's rifle will shoot just as fast as the guy at sandy hook, only he to reload after 4 rounds. (that brought up another discussion). Anyway, you get the picture.

    IMO, the way to move forward is to educate.

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array pittypat21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,496
    Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    I think you are taking the wrong attitude. People are all over the spectrum. If you just look black and white, we will lose. There are many people who do not know much about firearms. They are not anti, and not vehemently anti. For those people, explaining rationally will help. Making fun or being argumentative will lose. While there are 300 M guns in america, it is the minority who have guns, and a minority of them are on this forum (lots of people just interested in hunting during their 6 weeks of the year to get a deer, and lots of people who bought a gun to put in the closet safe 14 years ago and haven't opened it since).

    Unless you meet someone who is vehemently anti, I think it is our responsibility to explain, not antagonize. Where I work, someone made the comment, 'no one should have semi automatic guns. (this was in discussion of sandy hook). So I said your husband who hunts every occassion he can and carries a pistol with him when he does shouldn't have his pistol? She looked at me confused, as she did not realize this was semi automatic. Ooooh. So semi automatic doesn't mean an assault weapon? etc. Told her her husband's rifle will shoot just as fast as the guy at sandy hook, only he to reload after 4 rounds. (that brought up another discussion). Anyway, you get the picture.

    IMO, the way to move forward is to educate.
    I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that I'm taking the wrong attitude? Did you see the arguments that I made? The posts that I wrote to these people to debate their arguments? Where did you see that I antagonized instead of explained? Where did you see that I was making fun of the people and being argumentative? If there is an opinion, and there is a differing opinion, then there will be an argument. This doesn't mean irrational, yelling, screaming, calling names argument. But in the actual sense of the word where two people literally argue their points. To argue means to give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory, typically with the aim of persuading others to share one's view.

    So, I'd love for you to explain to me where you saw that I have the wrong attitude and that I am antagonizing.

    The point of this thread is not to make fun of all those idiot antis that we know or anything to that effect, the purpose is simply to share what we've heard in support of gun-control that we thought was ridiculous.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    1,121
    Self defense is a God-given, natural right. The Second Amendment prohibits any government from infringing on Our most practical means of self defense -- keeping and bearing arms. This prohibition is also extended to the state and local level via the 14th Amendment.

    People who cannot defend themselves are prime targets for criminals and tyrants. This is the reason why keeping and bearing arms is guaranteed in the constitution.
    FreeFalling likes this.

  14. #14
    Member Array FreeFalling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    109
    Most of the anti-gun people I encounter lately seem to think that if guns are outlawed, all mental illness will instantly be cured and it will be impossible to commit a violent crime. When I ask them what they'll do when a meth addict comes after them with a knife or a baseball bat they look at me like I have a third eye. Because sure, that's completely impossible.

    There's no way you can possibly respond to someone who's stupid enough to believe guns are the reason for the violence.

  15. #15
    VIP Member Array pittypat21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,496
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeFalling View Post
    There's no way you can possibly respond to someone who's stupid enough to believe guns are the reason for the violence.
    That's not true at all. I have successfully debated and convinced people before that gun control is not the answer. There are plenty of ways to respond to these kind of people.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

a ridiculous argument
,

abraham lincoln gun control

,
absurd pro gun control arguments
,

arguments for gun control

,

gun control arguments

,

gun control musket argument

,

gun control ridiculous

,
guns 2nd amendment ridiculous
,

ridiculous arguments

,
ridiculous arguments about gun control
,
ridiculous arguments for gun control
,

ridiculous gun control arguments

Click on a term to search for related topics.