Defensive Carry banner

Do we need.......

732 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  cmdrdredd 
#1 ·
Do we need a better background check? You know to keep crazies from buying a new gun or does this all ready happen? The private transfer deal will most likely be unenforceable.

-Jason

#2 ·
Nope.

The background check only proves that you have not done something illegal at that point. It does not prevent any thing.

I was taught that you are innocent until proven guilty. With a background check you are automatically assumed guilty until proven innocent.

#3 ·
I really don't know what's involved in a background check, to what depth it goes, and what all it actually checks, but after completing numerous military and Gov't job-related security investigations, I feel confident that it's not going to be a problem passing one for me.

What I question is how reliable it is in actually preventing those who cannot legally purchase a firearm from getting one. To me it's like a cop setting his radar gun to trip at >80 mph in a 70 zone while letting those going 71-79 pass right by.

#4 ·
I feel this way too. I hear that some things don't even show up and in some cases you cannot be told why you were denied so you could take care of it. It needs to be revamped.

I do feel that there are people who simply cannot handle the responsibility of owning a gun and would be a danger. There are people in certain mental states or on certain prescription meds that would not have the proper cognisance.

#5 ·
It did not stop the convicted criminal in New York. He talked a neighbor into buying the guns for him. He then went out and killed his sister, set fire to the house & then shot the responding firemen. The background check worked real well there, and straw purchases are already illegal.

#7 ·
Any felon can go down the street from where I work and buy a Glock for half what it costs new. So there will always be a way for a criminal to get a gun. Since I am not a criminal, banning them outright would only prevent me from getting one because I will not break the law to obtain one.

We all know this, but we should still be somewhat reasonable when it comes to things like this. Unrestricted access won't happen, and it paints us as gun owners and advocates in a bad light when it comes up in conversation.

#6 ·
One enhancement to instant check would be the requirement to report certain psychiatric diagnoses to the database by hospitals, doctors and mental health facilities--easily done using the CPT coding that is utilized universally in the medical field. Hillary Clinton's HIPPA laws prevent this at present.

This would be one meanigful improvement in helping prevent mentally ill from acquiring guns, at least through dealer sales and is simply a means of enforcing laws already on the books. It also allows those who can legally own guns to live life unfettered by unconstitutional laws and restrictions.

#9 ·
It's not unrestricted now...you know what NFA is? You know what the $5 background check fee is? Don't answer that cause I know you do.

Unrestricted means you walk into the store and buy anything from a .22LR to a M249 as long as you can pay for it. You just can't do that. Thus, it's not unrestricted access and it just won't happen these days.

It also does very much so make people think we are all crazy. We are not wrong in the argument, but when the argument turns to making everything open with no restrictions of checks at all, the other side thinks we are a bit crazy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.