Debating Piers Morgan - Page 4

Debating Piers Morgan

This is a discussion on Debating Piers Morgan within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by DPro.40 I just watch it.. All I can say is cooler heads prevail. I know he's pro 2nd but you have to ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Debating Piers Morgan

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    I just watch it.. All I can say is cooler heads prevail. I know he's pro 2nd but you have to show restraint with CNN and people like Morgan. He gave them what they want. Talking points. Even Teddy was better. I believe anyone we send in would be made to be a crazed gun toter though. I don't know why anyone would give CNN and Morgan any time.
    Agreed, Jones needs to switch to decaf, badly. but what ruined it for Morgan is the "hmmph, yea, but the evil black rifles are still bad." tactic he used against damning evidence of lower crime rates.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    Agreed, Jones needs to switch to decaf, badly. but what ruined it for Morgan is the "hmmph, yea, but the evil black rifles are still bad." tactic he used against damning evidence of lower crime rates.
    My favorite statement by Piers was something along the lines of "since Mr. Jones doesn't want to participate in a fair debate..."

That's coming from the guy who makes a living being a [mean person] to everyone who comes on his show with a different point of view.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Re: Debating Piers Morgan

I thought I was watching Animal debating with Kermit.

The world is a ghetto
    War
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Jones may have had compelling data but he came off as a raving lunatic and painted an absurd picture of gun owners to Piers Morgan's viewership. I fail to see how he helped anything. We have to remember that both Alex Jones and Piers Morgan are entertainers. If you're looking to either of them for a captivating, informative dialogue on this issue, or on any issue, then you miscalculated. Their programs are entertainment, nothing more.
    Last edited by Clodbert; January 9th, 2013 at 10:56 AM.

Don't know what your idea of a "true fact" is but mine is pretty simple. It needs to be true. It can't be a gues, it can't be an exaggeration. A factual statement is "x-xxxx million people were killed during Maos' reign" Saying 80 million people were killed is not a fact.

"Mostly true" statments are not true statements.

"Just the facts Ma'am"

From the link: I put my insights in BOLD

1. FBI says there’s a 20%+ rate drop in crime: True, but over many years, not just in a single year (Jones does not state all the facts)
    2. About 74% of about 11,000+ gun homicides in the US were gang related: As an average, True( NOT TRUE:this from http://www.ojp.gov/newsroom/pressrel..._PR-111611.pdf
    The number of homicides known to involve adult or juvenile gang violence has quadrupled since 1980,
    increasing from about 220 homicides in 1980 to 960 homicides in 2008. From 1980 to 2008, gang
    violence increased from one percent to six percent of all homicides. During this same period, gun
    involvement in gang-related homicides increased from 73 percent to 92 percent.

3. 190,000 people died from hospital infections: Couldn’t find 2011 or 2012 data, but in 2009 it was the 4th leading cause of death in the United States, and this 2012 article put’s it at around the same rank. (Inconclusive, who cares anyway....how is this 2A related and related to the discussion?)
    4. The Number 1 killer in history is “governments” who killed 292 millions people in the 21st Century: True
    5. Britain took your guns 15-16 years ago and it tripled violent crime: True. Britain is the most violent country in Europe
    6. Michael Springman head of (inaudible) department blew the whistle that the hijackers were allowed into the US: Potentially True. A lot of news outlets reported on this. Here’s one. (Potentially true does not count as true.quite frankly it is more sonspiracy talk anyhoo)
    7. Mexico, total gun ban on citizens, over 50,000 died in three years: True
    8. German fasle-flag firebomb April 27th 1933: True
    9. Mega banks have bragged that they have taken over in Bloomberg, AP. True, this has been said on those outlets. I’ve seen them personally but don’t have time to dig around for them. (That is the authors way of saying "take my word for it" I would not put it in the "true" column yet...Anyway....what on earth does this have to do with the discussion about 2A?_
    10. Criminal elements of the military industrial complex were behind 9/11: Unknown, but history will tell. (tinfoil time....)
    11. Criminal factions of the US Military were behind Gulf of Tonkin: True, Robert McNamara said publicly that it was a false flag.
    12. Criminal elements of the military industrial complex were behind Operation Gladio: True (Is it true? I checked a few references and they say it has not been proven. I use more than Wikipedia thank you..Maybe it is and maybe it isn't but again...a fact needs to be substantiated before you throw it in the TRUE colum:
    The role of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in sponsoring Gladio and the extent of its activities during the Cold War era, and its relationship to right-wing terrorist attacks perpetrated in Italy during the "Years of Lead" (late 1960s to early 1980s) and other similar clandestine operations is the subject of ongoing debate and investigation but never proved. Switzerland and Belgium have had parliamentary inquiries into the matter
    13. Why don’t you go back and face charges for the hacking scandal? True (True?! It was a question. Guess it is true he asked it LOL)
    14. Why did you get fired from the daily mirror for putting out fake stories? True
    15. The government buys 1.6 billion bullets last year : True (OK, that is a fun factoid)
    16. The number 1 cause of death is suicide: Couldn’t find solid 2011 or 2012 data but suicide is in the top 10 and has climbed every year for over a decade. Link (not true)
    17. Why don’t you want to get rid of drugs? Because they’re half your sponsors? This is an exaggeration but a lot of drug companies advertise on CNN. (question and a rhetorical question...no resolution to it so I would put in in the untrue or not confirmed column)
    18. 3 times the amount of people are killed with rocks, pipes, knives: Need more information, but this number is higher than you think. (just a statement, no supporting facts, possibly true)
    19. Murder with a semi automatic weapon is very low. Unknown but Hand Guns are #1 but a long shot. Here. (not enough data..just throwing a stement out there)
    20. Mao killed 80 million people because he was the only guy who had the guns: Estimates vary widely, with 80,000,000 on the very HIGH end. (it is at the very high end of anyone;s estimates...true there were mmillions that died, but why not use figures more readily proven? So...not true....it is an estimate and a high one at that)
    21. Switzerland has the lowest crime rate in Europe, and your country (Britain) has the highest: True
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Suntzu, your fact check of the fact check was spot on. No further fact checking is needed here... move along, move along.

You know I saw that interview, and I thought Alex Jones really made people who care about gun rights look nutty, as he looked nutty. I don't always agree with what he has to say (in fact most of it), however I really respect his courage, and his passion. He is someone who is not afraid to stand up and say what he believes is right, regardless of how he looks because of it. If everybody were to do the same we might not be in danger of loosing those rights. I hear and see alot of talk about if the government comes to take our guns away it will start a war, or something. That to me is very very scary. My bf was in the army and showed me alot of pics from there, looks awful.I thought Mr Pratt did a much better job.

VIP Member
    How many idiots do you think believed that Conan O'brien showed un-doctored video of the interview?

Conan O’Brien’s Take on Alex Jones’ CNN Appearance Might Be Even More Entertaining Than the Actual Interview | Video | TheBlaze.com
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte_C View Post
    You know I saw that interview, and I thought Alex Jones really made people who care about gun rights look nutty, as he looked nutty. I don't always agree with what he has to say (in fact most of it), however I really respect his courage, and his passion. He is someone who is not afraid to stand up and say what he believes is right, regardless of how he looks because of it. If everybody were to do the same we might not be in danger of loosing those rights. I hear and see alot of talk about if the government comes to take our guns away it will start a war, or something. That to me is very very scary. My bf was in the army and showed me alot of pics from there, looks awful.I thought Mr Pratt did a much better job.
    Welcome to the forum!

I agree with you on most of your points. Keep in mind that you don't have to go on national television and do what he did to have that courage and passion. Everybody does things in their own way.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Kind ah reminds me of an interview I saw, on TV once.

Gene Okerlund was interviewing ..... I think it was Nature Boy ... Ric Flair: "this an't no disco, brother....wooooooooo!!"
    steffen and Darrow75 like this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Alex jones at least had the gonads to sit across from him in a debate. Do I agree with Alex's delivery, no, but he did bring out some rather good points. The reason the other stations presented a clip of the debate, only a very very small percentage of America watch the Morgan show or that network. Did Alex hurt our effort? Most of us take the opinions of most talk show hosts with a grain of salt, but I would guess his listening audience will show an immediate short term increase.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I agree with you on most of your points. Keep in mind that you don't have to go on national television and do what he did to have that courage and passion. Everybody does things in their own way.
    Thank You, You are right, people don't need to act as crazy as Alex Jones does. I have noticed most gun owners are passionate about our rights, and have a great sense of right and wrong.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    OHHHHHHHH I almost forgot about Howard Dean........yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhh

2004: Howard Dean's infamous yell - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte_C View Post
    Thank You, You are right, people don't need to act as crazy as Alex Jones does. I have noticed most gun owners are passionate about our rights, and have a great sense of right and wrong.
    People in general don't need to act like Alex Jones, but there's nothing wrong with Alex Jones adding fuel to the fire however he wants.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links