Is a CCW permit considered registration

This is a discussion on Is a CCW permit considered registration within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No, as they don't know what you have (if you're smart)....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Is a CCW permit considered registration

No, as they don't know what you have (if you're smart).
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Things might vary by the state you live in, but I think I would say absolutely no, it is not gun
    registration.

Here's my reasoning. In TX one must take a range test to get a license. It is common place for first time
    applicants to rent the gun they take the test with. The rest of the entire application makes no
    reference of any sort to what gun you used, whether you owned it or rented it.

So, you take the test and weeks later the license arrives in the mail. You are then free to
    purchase your handgun from an FFL, or through a private sale. There probably are at least some
    people who get their license and never buy a gun; don't ask me why, but I know someone who
    is going through it all only because she is part of a social group that decided the ladies should do it
    as a "thing to do." She has already told me she won't be buying a gun; she's just going along for the "fun."

Now, let's say you get your license and buy a gun or three or more. You do the NICS thingy etc.
    Nothing stops you from deciding you don't like what you bought and selling it as a private sale. Hence
    there is no connection between your license and what---if anything at all-- you own.

That is how it works where I live. YMMV and probably does if you live in certain states.

I don't fear gun confiscation. There are far more insidious ways to make gun ownership and use
    a miserably difficult business. Meanwhile, there is no public clamor for stopping ownership of weapons
    primarily designed for ordinary personal and home defense, or clearly designed for sporting purposes.

Unlike HG and a few others here, I'm not spending a second worrying about confiscation.
    Hopyard, I think Texas is in the minority. The state of Texas would only keep the info with the intention of having a way to track you down and beg you to help fight off the invading liberal armies.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Not quite HG. You are "registered"as someone with a license to carry. That says nothing at all about
    whether or not you actually really truly own a gun. Sure, 95% of the time the two will go together, but
    there not only are folks who get a license and never buy a gun, there are folks who have licenses with
    long term expiration dates who at some point decide they need to pawn it, or give it away.
    For the kind of people that would pursue extermination to achieve their goals, do you think they would care about a 5% chance the person doesn't have guns?

Senior Moderator
    Not quite HG. You are "registered"as someone with a license to carry. That says nothing at all about
    whether or not you actually really truly own a gun. Sure, 95% of the time the two will go together, but
    there not only are folks who get a license and never buy a gun, there are folks who have licenses with
    long term expiration dates who at some point decide they need to pawn it, or give it away.
    Semantics.

No one is going to pursue a license to carry and not carry, or at least have one in close access.

Like it or not, you are on a database as a gunowner, whether you have one or not.

When push comes to shove in this country, do you really think that that particular goldmine of information will be ignored? If you do, you don't follow history very well.

I know better.

Do you knw how many times I have heard the Dispatcher say" be advised that Mr. X has a CHL"? And thats from people that dont want to take your gun.
    niks and steffen like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    I would say no. If you register your guns you could get a very legal and threatening letter stating you have 14 days to surrender a "Glock 19 with a Serial# 123456". If your CCW is not attached to a specific gun, they may assume (correctly) you own a gun, but without a warrant it would be tough for them to confiscate them.
    If there is a AWB and confiscation is approved there will be a blanket warrant issued at the same time and the storm troopers will be deployed immediately.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    If the govt. ever wanted to make any assumption as to if any person was a gun owner or not they would not need much of what you would think they would need.
    All they would need to do is look at your credit card transactions to see if you ever purchased anything with a C.C. that was firearm related...like your last holster purchase or your Outers Cleaning Kit.

And then you would say: But, But, I only bought those as gifts for a friend! And they would then reply: Sure...you did Mac ~ We believe you...Sure You Did! (sarcasm) and so if things ever got to THAT extreme dire point - do you think they would really care about having any absolute PROOF about who you might or might have not bought what for?
    Or would they just terminate you for the heckovit or haul you off to the FEMA Camp to eliminate the possibility that you actually bought that gun stuff for yerself and not "for a friend" ???

Let us try hard not to get too covered in Reynolds Wrap at this particular point in time.
    OldVet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If the govt. ever wanted to make any assumption as to if any person was a gun owner or not they would not need much of what you would think they would need.
    All they would need to do is look at your credit card transactions to see if you ever purchased anything with a C.C. that was firearm related...like your last holster purchase or your Outers Cleaning Kit.

And then you would say: But, But, I only bought those as gifts for a friend! And they would then reply: Sure...you did Mac ~ We believe you...Sure You Did! (sarcasm) and so if things ever got to THAT extreme dire point - do you think they would really care about having any absolute PROOF about who you might or might have not bought what for?
    Or would they just terminate you for the heckovit or haul you off to the FEMA Camp to eliminate the possibility that you actually bought that gun stuff for yerself and not "for a friend" ???

Let us try hard not to get too covered in Reynolds Wrap at this particular point in time.
    Great points. I suppose it is reasonable to think that a world takeover would be conducted by the people with the money, so they would have immediate access to your financial records, right?

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    Using retail records might get you better intel, but which process do you think would be faster?
    Four credit card companies vs fifty state databases..... I would go for the credit cards. Also in some states the permits are by county or city and not all of those would be on line. Actually the best bet would be NRA membership records and mailing lists. Seeing as how the NRA mails all that stuff via the U.S. Postal Service which uses automated readers for addresses they could just tweak their software to record every address the NRA mails to. Then when they declare the NRA to be a domestic terrorist organization they already have their target list!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin1155 View Post
    Every time I buy a gun there is a big long government form that gets filled out. What happens to that?
    That form stays with your FFL until they go out of business then it gets handed over to ATF.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Sometimes I have to just sit and laugh as I read a thread. This is one of those cases.

If you have a CCW permit and the government should ever ban possession of firearms, or just handguns, you're going to be on their list. If you think you can avoid that because it is possible to have a permit and not own a gun you're trying too hard to think your way out of an unwinnable situation. The feds could very well demand that your state hand over their CCW database or lose federal funding for schools, roads, medicaid, etc. Most, if not all, states would then make that information available to the feds. They could then easily use that list to start their door to door gun collection. If they come to your home and you try to claim you don't own guns they're much, much more likely to detain you and search the house than they are to believe you and just march on to the next house.

In fact, for those rare individuals that may have a CCW permit and no firearm I'd probably recommend getting your hands on one to turn in. I'm positive that your life would be much more simple if you were able to hand them a Rossi revolver and tell them that's the only gun you own. At least then there's a chance they'll believe you and go on their way. In fact, if one were planning on resisting and not turn in guns even at gunpoint it may not be a horrible idea to have a gun or two that you could hand the BATFE in that situation.
    steffen likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Yes ur registrated with ur state with ur permit. Ur weapon if u got it new or used through a FFL is registrated with the Feds with forms u filled out.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

No it is not an official registration........ However having a permit means it is highly likely you own one or more firearms.... I guess one could say its mighty close to registration.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin1155 View Post
    Every time I buy a gun there is a big long government form that gets filled out. What happens to that? Seems like a form of gun registration to me. Of course I've sold or otherwise disposed of a number of guns, and there are no records of that.

You really think that if the government wanted to identify and locate who has what guns they won't use any information they already have? And yes, that includes CCW permits too.
    Yeesh! There are obviously people responding to this thread who enjoy semantics.

1) While there is no "Registration" requirement; your local, state and federal authorities know that you have a CCP.
    2) If you purchased your weapon at a gun store, they know what type it is.

(IF) confiscation ever became law, "they" would know who to ask. ALL CCP holders (and) purchasers of guns would be approached.

(IF) you have no CCP and purchased at a gun show from a seller with no civic responsibility, you are under the radar; unless of course you were stupid enough to sign your real name at the shooting range when you checked in.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Sometimes I have to just sit and laugh as I read a thread. This is one of those cases.

If you have a CCW permit and the government should ever ban possession of firearms, or just handguns, you're going to be on their list. If you think you can avoid that because it is possible to have a permit and not own a gun you're trying too hard to think your way out of an unwinnable situation. The feds could very well demand that your state hand over their CCW database or lose federal funding for schools, roads, medicaid, etc. Most, if not all, states would then make that information available to the feds. They could then easily use that list to start their door to door gun collection. If they come to your home and you try to claim you don't own guns they're much, much more likely to detain you and search the house than they are to believe you and just march on to the next house.

In fact, for those rare individuals that may have a CCW permit and no firearm I'd probably recommend getting your hands on one to turn in. I'm positive that your life would be much more simple if you were able to hand them a Rossi revolver and tell them that's the only gun you own. At least then there's a chance they'll believe you and go on their way. In fact, if one were planning on resisting and not turn in guns even at gunpoint it may not be a horrible idea to have a gun or two that you could hand the BATFE in that situation.
    You bring up a lot of stuff that I'm surprised we didn't get to already, thank you! For the sake of discussion, do you think the transfer of CCW information would be a gradual one, or a secret/sudden one?

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Yeesh! There are obviously people responding to this thread who enjoy semantics.

1) While there is no "Registration" requirement; your local, state and federal authorities know that you have a CCP.
    2) If you purchased your weapon at a gun store, they know what type it is.

(IF) confiscation ever became law, "they" would know who to ask. ALL CCP holders (and) purchasers of guns would be approached.

(IF) you have no CCP and purchased at a gun show from a seller with no civic responsibility, you are under the radar; unless of course you were stupid enough to sign your real name at the shooting range when you checked in.
    In this world there is no such thing as "off the radar." Great points and thanks for contributing.

Is a CCW permit considered registration

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Yes ur registrated with ur state with ur permit. Ur weapon if u got it new or used through a FFL is registrated with the Feds with forms u filled out.
    No, my weapon is not registered when I purchase it from an FFL. When the NICS paperwork is filled out and called in the only reference to the firearm you buy is wether it is a long gun or handgun. No serial numbers, no manufacturers, not even the caliber of the the gun is recorded. They don't even distinguish between a rifle and a shotgun, just long gun.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links