Could this be a reason our framers put in the 2A?

This is a discussion on Could this be a reason our framers put in the 2A? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Admiral Yamamoto: "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." Advising Japan's military leaders of the futility ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By RightsEroding
  • 2 Post By Tally XD

Thread: Could this be a reason our framers put in the 2A?

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Could this be a reason our framers put in the 2A?

Admiral Yamamoto: "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." Advising Japan's military leaders of the futility of an invasion of the mainland United States because of the widespread availability of guns. It has been theorized that this was a major contributing factor in Japan's decision not to land on North America early in the war when they had vastly superior military strength. This delay gave our industrial infrastructure time to gear up for the conflict and was decisive in our later victory.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Yes and you could apply this to the current looming gun confiscation threat as well. Do you think the anti gun folk are familiar with this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Re: Could this be a reason our framers put in the 2A?

Quote is bogus...

So no, that is not the reason, or even a good analogy. Though it is similar in spirit to what was said by a particular Japanese leader, not Yamamoto... The quote is misattributed and inaccurate.

Sounds great though, don't it?

Problem is, using inaccuracies to defend our position makes our side appear as fools. Not in our best interest.
    Badey likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    Yes and you could apply this to the current looming gun confiscation threat as well. Do you think the anti gun folk are familiar with this.
    They might be but they dont care.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Perhaps some accurate quotes are in order.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" Thomas Jefferson
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest."
    -- Mahatma Gandhi
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington
    "One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."
    -- Constitutional scholar Joseph Story, 1840
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    -- John F. Kennedy
    oakchas likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Bogus quote and the answer is no.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    The 2A was written/ratified so that We, The People, could defend ourselves against, and/or ensure, that our government does not become so powerful and tyrannical that they would trample upon our rights that are guarded by the Constitution.

The government could, and would, use the very same military force that was designed to protect our nation, and its Constitution, against just such a threat even from the inside.

When that happens, and the members of the active military and homeland police forces that do not honor their Oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies both foreign and domestic, I will consider them traitors to the nation and enemies of the Constitution.

I remember taking that oath in 1982. I do not remember anything that I was told that I was no longer under that Oath. I was discharged from active duty but I did not "unoath" myself.
    TX expat and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Links