From senator Lamar Alexander (TN)

This is a discussion on From senator Lamar Alexander (TN) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; January 8, 2013 Dear Ron, Thanks very much and letting me know whatís on your mind regarding the right to bear arms. Iím a strong ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RonM0710

Thread: From senator Lamar Alexander (TN)

From senator Lamar Alexander (TN)

January 8, 2013

Dear Ron,

Thanks very much and letting me know whatís on your mind regarding the right to bear arms.

Iím a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights. Congress should not pass laws that take away these rights from law abiding citizens and leave criminals to terrorize the streets. Good citizens donít abuse guns Ė criminals do. I will continue to support legislative efforts to protect the Second Amendment rights of law abiding Americans, and oppose efforts to overturn the Second Amendment.

In two recent cases, the U.S. Supreme Court clearly held that the Second Amendment protects the right of individual Americans to keep and bear arms. In the 2008 case, D.C. v. Heller, the Supreme Court held that D.C.ís restrictive gun laws violated the constitutional rights of Americans. Two years later, in McDonald v. Chicago, the court struck down the city of Chicagoís handgun ban and held that, like the federal government, state and local governments must respect Second Amendment rights. I joined legal briefs in both cases in defense of this constitutional right and was pleased with the Supreme Courtís decisions.

I am grateful you took the time to let me know where you stand. Iíll be sure to keep your comments in mind as Second Amendment rights are discussed and debated in Washington and in Tennessee.

Sincerely,
    Lamar

__________________________________________________ __________

Lets Be Careful Out There!
    Ron
    QKShooter likes this.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

2. Remove Ads

There's one.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Re: From senator Lamar Alexander (TN)

He will cave to "reasonable" restrictions as outlined in Heller.

We will still have the right to keep and bear arms...

Mag limits. AWs gone. Possible extreme taxation. Possible national registration of "grandfathered" weapons and accessories.

But, we will still get to keep and bear.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Distinguished Member
    Got the same from Senator Alexander and this one from Bob Corker TN's other senator.

Dear Matt :

Thank you for contacting me about the recent heartbreaking tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this horrendous attack on our children, and I remain honored to represent you in Congress.

On December 14, 2012 a deranged young man attacked the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut, brutally murdering 20 first graders and 6 adults. This unspeakable attack shook the town of Newtown to its core and forced many of us to question how anyone could be so evil as to murder children.

In the wake of this shooting there are no easy answers. I have heard suggestions for limiting 2 nd Amendment rights to increasing resources for mental health issues to putting armed school resource o fficers in every school. I oppose limiting gun rights , however I do believe that there is merit in the other two suggestions, although these solutions may be better implemented at the state or local level than at the federal level. School resources and needs are no doubt very different in a small Tennessee town than in New York City or in rural Alaska.

This horrific act leads me to hug my children a little bit tighter, but ultimately the search for answers to this shooting yields few clues. We know little about the shooter and what could have driven him to kill.

I urge you to join me in keeping the victims and their families in your prayers in the wake of this horrible crime. Thank you again for your concern and please do not hesitate to let me know if I may be of additional assistance.

Sincerely,

Chuck Fleischmann
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    Iím a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights. Congress should not pass laws that take away these rights from law abiding citizens
    Is it just me or are others noticing it too? Congress people seem to think they can bestow or remove constitutionally-enshrined rights by passing a law and leaving the underlying, empowering document unchanged. I realize that Lamar is on our side, but he seems to think laws trump the constitution as well.

So long as congress insists on passing laws that are not supported by the constitution, they are passing unconstitutional laws. They will have the weight of law and punishments for violations will be meted out, but the law would still be unconstitutional. Why doesn't congress amend the constitution so their actions and resulting laws would then be constitutional? Answer - they know they have the judiciary in their pocket, but the people - not so much.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Links