Defensive Carry banner

Legislator Response to Gun Control Legislation

765 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  TX expat 
#1 ·
Here's one I just received from Congressman Sam Graves of Missouri.

Dear {name removed} and Family:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic events in Newtown, Connecticut and the potential legislative responses currently being considered by Congress. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

Mere words are not enough to describe the grief I feel from the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary school. The lives of twenty beautiful children and six brave adults were taken far too soon; a parent should never have to bury their child. I know I share the sentiments of every American during this tragic time.

Upon taking office, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. As such, I am committed to preserving the right of law-abiding citizens to purchase, own, and use firearms for legitimate purposes as guaranteed by the Second Amendment. The shootings at Sandy Hook should not be used to promote an infringement on our Constitutional rights. In a free society like ours, it is an unfortunate reality that the government cannot prevent every evil and tragic event from occurring.

Semi-automatic firearms were introduced more than a century ago. They account for about 15 percent of the more than 250 million privately-owned firearms in the United States, and are used for the same purposes that other firearms are, including self-defense, hunting, and recreational and competitive target shooting. The term "assault weapons" is a general one used by the media and anti-gunners to intentionally blur the line between fully automatic firearms, which have been banned since the 1930's and semi-automatics, which are common and popular firearms.

It is my position that we do not need to enact another assault weapons ban. Evidence and FBI crime statistics have shown that the first attempt at a ban in 1994 did not produce any noticeable reductions in crime rates, which were already trending downward before the ban was enacted. More focus should be placed on the laws currently in place and on our nation's mental health system.

Our founding fathers included the Second Amendment in the Constitution in order to ensure citizens could defend themselves against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and we must never forget or compromise this right. Please know that I will fight the Administration and my colleagues in Congress at every turn in their attempts to restrict law-abiding American's right to purchase and own guns.

Again, thank you for contacting me regarding this important issue. Please feel free to call my office at (202) 225-7041 should you have any further questions or concerns about this or any other issue, or visit my website at Congressman Sam Graves : Home for more information.

Sincerely,

Sam Graves
Member of Congress

#2 ·
This is the first such response letter I have seen that gives me some hope.... He left himself little or no "wiggle room." He didn't say anything about "extended mags" he didn't say anything about the ammunition that fills those mags either...

But, it is the most positive response I have seen to date. Thank you for sharing it.

#5 ·
@ oakchas - I received this from my state senator

{name removed},

I will not support any efforts to restrict 2nd Amendment rights at the state level. I'm on record saying that I will filibuster any efforts to limit gun owners rights.

I believe most of our federal delegation feels the same way, but time will tell.

Sincerely,
Rob Schaaf
State Senator - District 34

#6 ·
From Missouri......

"Thank you for contacting me regarding the rights of gun owners.

As you may know, I am a strong defender of our Second Amendment rights. The right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms is an individual right guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the Constitution and broadly interpreted by the U.S. Supreme Court. Our Founders clearly understood that one of the most basic rights of Americans is the ability to defend themselves and their families.

In light of the terrible tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, there have been calls for immediate action to address gun control. I do believe it is important that we have a serious national discussion about preventing these senseless acts of violence and protecting our children in their schools. Equally important, however, is an effort that more broadly addresses ways to spend federal dollars more wisely when it comes to treating and identifying those who are mentally ill as well as intervening before they tragically impact their own lives and the lives of others.

There are no easy answers here. I continue to believe that a weapons ban does not fix the issue. Whatever we do, it must be consistent with the Constitution.

I appreciate your thoughts and will continue to support legislation that safeguards our Second Amendment rights, encourages safe and responsible gun ownership, and keeps our homes and families safe.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to continuing our conversation on Facebook (www.facebook.com/SenatorBlunt) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RoyBlunt) about the important issues facing Missouri and the country. I also encourage you to visit my website (blunt.senate.gov) to learn more about where I stand on the issues and sign-up for my e-newsletter.

Sincere regards,

Roy Blunt
United States Senator"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.