Dear NRA, Night is Falling

This is a discussion on Dear NRA, Night is Falling within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From the NRA's statement following their meeting at the WH: ..., we will now take our commitment and meaningful contributions to members of congress of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Dear NRA, Night is Falling

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Dear NRA, Night is Falling

From the NRA's statement following their meeting at the WH:

..., we will now take our commitment and meaningful contributions to members of congress of both parties who are interested in having an honest conversation about what works — and what does not.
    OK. Great! We get it. You have some inside access to our elected officials. The same elected officials who often do not do the will of the people who sent them.
    The same elected officials who seek re-election at any cost including the very necessary fund raising on a daily basis.

Fund raising? Every day? Yep!... Why?

Because politicians know all too well it is how they are perceived that will get them elected. That perception costs millions when seeking a federal level office.

Perception IS Reality.

(4) million NRA members? Not enough to tip the balance.

(4) million members writing letters? If they all did it, it would be nice..still not enough.

(4) million members + fund raising + donations etc?....Now we're talking some financial clout.

Today, while I support the NRA's overall efforts and philosophies, I sent them a letter indicating my disapproval in how they are handling this issue at this time.

I suggest our letter writing efforts need to include the NRA-ILA as well

Night is falling on gun rights for all Americans. The few temp workers elected by the people have rushed in head long on a major offensive to garner not only public opinion with continued and effective use of the media; they have also heavily recruited elected officials from governors all the way down to the lowly city commissioners. Their battle plan is sound, effective and IS working.

The far left anti-gun people have used the media with tremendous skill. Let us not underestimate the adversary. We as lovers of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness may be 100% opposed to their ideas; but let us not simply dismiss them as idiots. They are well armed intellectually AND have financial backing.

It is far past time that the NRA-ILA go on the offensive with the truth.
    Let's face it; the truth is what comes out of the tube or via the internet. I did not say it IS the truth, I said that is where we get it from. It is where the majority of Americans get it.

Politicians know all too well the value of public opinion. That opinion in 2013 has to be purchased with money (lots of it) by reaching as many people as possible.

(WE), the vocal group are not being heard, and if we are; it is but a whisper among the din of emotional anti-gun illogical screaming.

The cliche's are cute. The bold talk is cute. The name calling while venting only may make us feel better is far, far from effective.

In my opinion, we, the gun rights activists (2nd amendment lovers) need to write to the people who command far more financial power than all of us here combined.

The NRA is fighting a war with tactics that may have worked once, but not now. All seasoned military generals know well the necessity of employing a dynamic battle plan when the face of modern warfare changes; and it has changed. A rigid plan during war is suicide.
    Winning the hearts & minds of the people becomes paramount! That winning is through the media with education and truth.

The NRA-ILA must move from the confines of capitol hill to the streets of America.

I wrote my letters as have many of you. I've engaged in pro-2A activities as have you.
    I have given extra money to the NRA as have you.

I have also paid my taxes; yet am not represented! My money is squandered.

I hate to say it, but I believe the NRA-ILA is squandering the money. OK; go ahead..flame away.

This wait & see posture is gonna' get us killed in the arena of our rights to keep and bear arms! They already wasted more time even going to the meeting with Biden...no doubt a ploy by the current admin to delay any action by the NRA. Now; night is falling...The enemy has their plan well in place. What do we have? NADA!

It's ok to be critical of the NRA-ILA. I know they have done some great work; but this is a *NEW* war with the enemy now on our back porch.

we will now take our commitment and meaningful contributions to members of congress of both parties who are interested in having an honest conversation about what works
    Now? What have you been doing?
    "..who are interested?"
    Give me a break! They are not interested. "They" represent themselves. "They" are busy raising money for their re-election bids.

Take the message to the American people via mass media. Yes!..Pay for it with what I and millions of others sent you.
    My neighbor down the street doesn't watch the NRA channel!
    Other than pro gun, pro 2A people, most Americans don't have a clue what's going on or what is at stake.

Mr. NRA, night is falling. The enemy has you nearly surrounded. Summon the cavalry. The cavalry IS the American people and they number far more than (4) million.
    carracer, zacii, Crowman and 6 others like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

2. Remove Ads

Yes! tactics need to be changed at their level. I think they have to maintain lobbying at the fed and state level, but, also to the people. WE also must continue our letter writing to our (mis) representatives, but, also must take OUR lobbying to the people.

We will never be able to change the minds of the Brady's and such. It is the fence sitters that have never thought it can affect them and the ones that just don't care that we need to work on. We need to show that we are legal, responsible firearms owners that are concerned about the welfare of others. That their proposed solutions have been tried and don't work. We must continue to point out what does work. Self defense stories that get little or no play in the media.

I will do my best to share and spread the word.

VIP Member
    Kind of hard for the NRA to get on any television stations to tell the story, when the MSM and the vast majority of cable channels ALL have vowed to blackball them.
    They couldn't buy a commercial or tv program for double/triple what the channels charge.
    When they try, they are told no deal.

I think for 4 million + members, and no way to really advertise or be on the TV with any regularity, I think the whole damn world knows who the NRA is, so that ought to tell you something.

I also think the folks who look at the NRA as irrelevant or out of touch with its members, or thinks they are clueless to what is going on over in Washington, are VERY shortsighted.
    msgt/ret, Ksgunner and BugDude like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ...They couldn't buy a commercial or tv program for double/triple what the channels charge.
    When they try, they are told no deal
    I have said more than once that we need to have an effective marketing campaign using the same tools that our enemies use against us. Believable as it may be, is the above statement a fact, or merely your opinion. Upon what do you base this assertion?

Re: Dear NRA, Night is Falling

If it's true that NRA can't buy time, then they need to start another shell organization, exactly like the pols do it... And buy time through that.

They need to use social media just like the Obama campaign did.

I have said most everything the OP said, and I even faxed the NRA and the GOA.

Night is indeed falling, folks. Now is not the time to entrench, it is time to ACT. And no, I'm not talking revolt, I'm talking publicity.... Good publicity.

Now!
    Hoganbeg, ANGLICO and carracer like this.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Unlike commercials, news coverage is free. The one thing in common though is TV Networks decide who to sell commercial time to and more importantly news editors CHOOSE what gets discussed and how it gets slanted. When it comes to legislative action, it is not public opinion that sways Representative's votes. They ask themselves how likely is it they will lose their job if they vote this way instead of that way. Political Action Committees, lobbyists, messages and calls, and organizations like the NRA can make or break politicians by shining a light on their vote and supporting a contender. If an office is getting swamped with communications from their constituents heavily leaning one way, they'd be a fool to vote the opposite...especially if that is an issue they ran on. Do not underestimate the power of your REPEATED communications with your Reps.
    Otis2, msgt/ret and Crowbait like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    A shell organization does not help. The networks are not going to put a pro-gun ad on their airwaves. They claim it would be insensitive to victims, it condones gun violence, blah blah blah. Buying airtime isn't going to work. But then, it wouldn't matter if it did. We don't live in a democracy, we live in a republic. Joe Blow's opinion doesn't matter, the people in D.C. are all that matters and the NRA is good at reaching them.

If Washington cared about what people thought it wouldn't be an issue. Guns flying off the shelves and magazines backordered by the millions is a pretty clear indication that America isn't interested in gun banning schemes. The left is interested, and that's all that matters to them.
    oneshot likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Unlike commercials, news coverage is free. The one thing in common though is TV Networks decide who to sell commercial time to and more importantly news editors CHOOSE what gets discussed and how it gets slanted. When it comes to legislative action, it is not public opinion that sways Representative's votes. They ask themselves how likely is it they will lose their job if they vote this way instead of that way. Political Action Committees, lobbyists, messages and calls, and organizations like the NRA can make or break politicians by shining a light on their vote and supporting a contender. If an office is getting swamped with communications from their constituents heavily leaning one way, they'd be a fool to vote the opposite...especially if that is an issue they ran on. Do not underestimate the power of your REPEATED communications with your Reps.
    I think you're right but, I wish you weren't.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

My job requires me to be heavily politically involved (in a different arena from guns). I am a member of PACs, good government groups, have personally worked with lobbyists to get legislation drafted, introduced, and passed. I have been to DC on numerous occasions and have personally met with my State and Federal Representatives many times over the years. I have also utilized my contacts and everything I have learned about how the process works and applied it to my personal interest, 2A.

PS. Given my 20 years of political involvement, nothing beats the 2 most important things you can do:

1) Be a member of a PAC, Lobby, or Group that keeps you informed and represents your interests.

2) CONTACT your representatives offices regularly, and when there is a big crisis situation like this, contact them multiple times per day, day after day, for as long as you can. Recruit others to do the same thing.

While a few have stated that no one will sell ad time to the NRA, does anyone know for fact this is true or is it just your opinion. I find it hard to believe they actually would have the right to refuse since they are regulated by the FCC.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

It's not a protected class. CBS is not required to sell advertising time to NBC...nor the NRA.
    Echo_Four likes this.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Here is a tactic I like.... we the people threaten on a MASSIVE scale complete and total Civil War, not riots and violence, but WAR if they try to annihilate our rights. PERIOD! Like Yeager said that is the "Line in the Sand", like Ron Paul said on Alex Jones the other day, "That will be the line in the sand", like Alex Jones said "1776 will commence again if you try to take our guns".

That is the tactic. We still have one hell of a big mouth full of teeth in this country. We dont have to bite but we need to let them know we will. Again I am not advocating violence but there is a reason the Gadsden flag sais "Dont tread on me". LIke a snake I lie in the bush peacefully but if you step on me I will strike.

Someone has to agree with this. The time for touchy feely is over. Just MAN the heck up and tell them we are done with the games. NO MORE!
    Crowbait and BugDude like this.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    While a few have stated that no one will sell ad time to the NRA, does anyone know for fact this is true or is it just your opinion. I find it hard to believe they actually would have the right to refuse since they are regulated by the FCC.
    The only NRA tv time I ever see is on NBC sports very early in the morning. And thats only because the programming is gun related anyway. But nobodys has to sell any time they dont want to. Its bad politics. like there arent too many ads for birth control anymore either. Its just not fluffy enough

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    There you go NRA-ILA.... Not general NRA but the ILA. the NRA Institute for Legal Action is where you want your, other than membership, contributions to go.

Capture.JPG
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Here is 'part' of the response of an email to one of our Congressman : (work on yours, we are)

"What I will not accept is further federal government restriction of the rights of individuals to keep and bear arms. Our Founding Fathers considered this right important enough to include it in the Bill of Rights and regarded gun ownership as a personal, fundamental right. Gun control advocates claim that stricter gun laws create a safer society; however, I do not agree. Connecticut has very strict gun laws. Chicago, which may have the most stringent gun laws in the nation, saw more than 500 murders in 2012. This total is nearly five times the number of murders in Kansas, despite the fact that the populations are nearly identical in size. Further gun control is not the solution.

I have faith that our nation can have a rational, respectful conversation about the many issues raised by this tragedy. If you have any additional concerns, please do not hesitate to call on me.
    "

No matter how much "money" is contributed, they do pay attention to input from voters... who put them in office. If they don't , vote them out next time for someone who will and they will then.... and send money to those who run against them that will.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links