A "what if" question on some sort of a ban

This is a discussion on A "what if" question on some sort of a ban within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know this is a tough question but I am looking for your opinion. IF and I say IF there is some kind of a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By oFant0mo

Thread: A "what if" question on some sort of a ban

A "what if" question on some sort of a ban

I know this is a tough question but I am looking for your opinion. IF and I say IF there is some kind of a ban pushed on us what is your thoughts on pistols only with higher capacity mags? It has been on my want list to add a double stack 9 in whatever brand I decide something in the 15 round capacity. I am not really ready for this purchase that is why I am a little vague on details on the gun. Do you think that gun would be illegal and should I work it out now to buy it before the possible ban? Thanks guys!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    The safe answer would be get it now if you can. We can just quess what will happen. Personally,while I don't support it, the mags over 10 rounds are the least of our worries. In the defensive handgun classes I have been in, I have been taught to (manage ammo) meaning that whatever the capasity of your mag, once you get to below half, put in a full mag. In a tactical training scenario, you will seldom be told to shoot to slidelock, and be caught with an empty gun. So, my glock wil hold 17 round in the mag, once I send 8-10 down range, I'm retaining but replacing that mag with a full one.And yes, I know it would be harder to do with incoming, but that's the concept.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Guns would be sold with 10 round mags as many are in states with those bans in place.

Same guns.

If history is a guide, whatever mags you owned the day before the AWB were still permitted the day after - but new ones could not be sold except to mil and E. So the key is to get what you can while you can. It would not surprise me to see a very near-term date set on any proposed bans so that the gazillion backorders are never actually filled. (Saving thousands of lives, of course.)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Too hard to say. The IL proposal that failed last week, but will be tried again (and is no doubt a dream for Feinstein etc) would have banned any new sales of pistols CAPABLE of accepting magazines over 10 rds. Best bet is to keep an eye on current events, and buy as soon as you are ready. With the current environment, tomorrow isn't promised for anything semi-auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    The safe answer would be get it now if you can.
    That's my take, as well.

The 1994 AWB disallowed magazines with more than 10rd capacities, but existing 11+ round mags in circulation were deemed lawful, though at that time many states also enacted (or had, some continuing to have) strict 10rd-max ownership/transportation statutes to "complement" the AWB.

This time around, who's to say how ugly the liberty-haters might get on the wording, whether "grandfathering-in" of existing mags in circulation would be part of it, or whether we'd all be forced to turn in all such mags else be deemed criminal. Myself, I can't see a forced confiscation happening, but you never know how far liberty-haters are willing to go, when hate/fear rules the day. Witness Britain, Australia. It could most definitely happen here ... if we allow it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Don't wait to see. Buy what you want and get extra mags now.

I didn't panic buy, but I've been looking at a hi cap 9mm for HD for a year. With all the talk, I didn't run out and buy anything but just happened to be in a local shop and they had exactly what I've been wanting (XDm 4.5 OD Green frame, 19+1 cap) and at a normal pre-hype price. So, now's the time. Got enough mags to keep back in case I need replacements.
    Clodbert likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Just bought a 17 round M&P 9mm at regular price to go with my Glock 23. No sense in waiting if you want one now and have the money. Who knows what the next few months may hold. My opinion.

SpringerXD likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    My friend, and even my own mother urged me to just wait and buy the Walther PPQ I wanted a while back till production started up again and prices on them dropped. I bought one on GB for about %600 with several spare mags, like new.. glad I did. Now you can't find one anywhere, and now there are talks of banning semi-auto pistols, high cap mags, and pretty much every modern firearm on the market depending on which bills you look at. I'm waiting on 10 backordered pmags, and two stripped AR lower receivers now that are all paid for and ordered. I'm not getting caught with my pants down on this either.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

As others have stated above; buy what you want and can afford now, don't participate in the panic buying and clearing of the shelves that is occurring around the country. But, if you have done your research and know what you want, and have the money then buy it now because the prices may go up and/or what you want may not be available to you in the future. If there is not some kind of grandfather clause in any legislation that passes I would just take the attitude of "what they don't know won't hurt them" and, if they come knocking on doors (unlikely), then " I sold it a few months back and bygolly I can't remember the guys' name...".
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by oFant0mo View Post
    While it is nice you are calmer don't do any dancing just yet. While articles such as this are refreshing they are few and far between from major media outlets. Far too many of major and minor media outlets are spewing out(almost daily) propaganda to the American public that "evil military looking assault weapons" have to place in the hands of the public. Major agrument they use "there is no need".

What are side has to fight hard for is not "what if", the fight is for no more so called gun control laws under the guise they will make the American public safe from evil people doing evil things with firearms.

Those advocating for more gun control laws know that the laws on the books already are mostly ineffective. They are not proposing new laws to protect the public they are doing it to slowly tear down the 2nd amendment right in order to achieve their agenda of banning all firearms in America.

Keep in mind that gun owners in America are a minority group and 2nd amendment advocates are a minority group with that minority. As such we have to fight harder to achieve what we seek and we have to do it as other minority groups did in the past.

Footnote: Technically wouldn't more then one round be considered high capacity. All a magazine/clip gets a shooter is rapid loading of the next cartridge without manual loading. So 10 rounds is also "high" capicity. So again it's plain to see banning 30/20 rounds is nothing but smoke and mirrors.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

A little off the subject BUT it is my subject In the last ban what did companys like Glock do with (so it seems to me) so many of their guns hold more then 10 rounds? Did business just slack off. I am guessing LEO still bought them but the general public I would think buys far more?

Quote Originally Posted by lokin4deer View Post
    A little off the subject BUT it is my subject In the last ban what did companys like Glock do with (so it seems to me) so many of their guns hold more then 10 rounds? Did business just slack off. I am guessing LEO still bought them but the general public I would think buys far more?
    I think that if they are manufactured prior to the effective date of the legislation then they would most likely be grandfathered in...but, I'm not sure what happened with the last one in '94 or whenever.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Links