The Votes Aren't There

The Votes Aren't There

This is a discussion on The Votes Aren't There within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not sure what, if anything, Obama can do through E.O. I've been listening/watching a lot of discussions on the gun control issue from BOTH ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By SigPapa226
  • 3 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By Echo_Four

Thread: The Votes Aren't There

The Votes Aren't There

I'm not sure what, if anything, Obama can do through E.O. I've been listening/watching a lot of discussions on the gun control issue from BOTH sides.

I have heard one common theme from many on BOTH sides: The votes aren't there to push anything through.

I HOPE this is the case. As I've said before, I have contacted my reps multiple times, no responses. I did hear a small piece on the news from one of my Senators- McConnell said that he doesn't expect to even SEE any legistlation in the Senate until summer.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Don't stop now!
    Don't even think about slowing down.
    They want us to be lazy & complacent so they can take our rights away.
    Even if 8th ID is correct, your representatives & Senators will go the other way if they think for one minute it would be to their advantage. Most are professional politicians, not representatives of the people. Keep the pressure on!
    Tell them you will "Never Forget, Never Forgive, & Never Surrender".
    Eagleks likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 8th ID View Post
    I HOPE this is the case.
    Can't merely hope. Regarding contacting your reps, as you've done, so have I. I hope that millions more have as well, on the side of right and sanity and defending the Constitution.

I did hear a small piece on the news from one of my Senators- McConnell said that he doesn't expect to even SEE any legistlation in the Senate until summer.
    Hopefully his predictions pan out. I'm not betting on it. The bloodsuckers are sure trying to tear a new hole in the 2A with all their current efforts. They'll make every stab at it. But hopefully McConnell's right, that it'll take months to garner anywhere near the sort of support to even let it be heard. By that time, hopefully there'll be sufficient rationality entering the debate that there will actually be a debate. It's hard to be heard with so much screaming going on. (On both sides of the issue.)

Gads, I hate mudfests. Everyone gets dirty, and they stink to high heaven.
    BugDude, Crowbait and Eagleks like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Depending what area that congressman or woman is from it will be political suicide when it's re-election time . A local race is way way differnt from a national one and that's when the NRA will pounce . One district at a time . Go NRA

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Oh Gosh you knew this was the case when they announced using EO instead of legislation. It was a given. Guns are one nasty NO NO for most politicians who are lifetimers.

Anyways the dems have already lost the house and the senate and the presidency after this term. That is almost inevitable in my opinion.

But do NOT stop EVER. Keep the pressure on until the day you die an old man. Once gun rights are lost they are lost, unless we fought with blood and lead to regain them. But we can avoid blood and lead and use our voices and mass pressure for now.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesewiz View Post
    Depending what area ... it will be political suicide when it's re-election time .
    But then, many are likely in what they're willing to see as (or is required by law as) their last terms. So, the gloves coming off won't be seen as such a bad thing, ramifications or not. And when it comes to Feinstein et al, the mere fact they've survived as died-in-the-wool antis for so long essentially gives them a mandate (in their heads) they always thought they've had. Unsurprising.

A local race is way way differnt from a national one and that's when the NRA will pounce . One district at a time . Go NRA
    Go NRA, yes. But the long hard fight district by district is going to occur on a wholly different timescale than this current evisceration attempt on the 2A's going to be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    You can't count on votes going your way. The votes for Obamacare weren't there either, look how that turned out.

It is amazing how effective whips can be, particularly for the Democrats. The Republicans have been less successful meaning Pelosi will only have to win a few over because if it looks like they can be successful she's good at keeping her party in line.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The Conservatives caved on Obamacare and fiscal cliff. If they cave on gun control, they might as well change sides.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sadly the votes are there for some more ineffective gun control laws that will only impact on law abiding citizens. While I wish I was not going to say this but what I see coming at the least will be an "evil" rifle ban and high capacity magazine ban.

While contacting our members of Congress is a must the 2nd amendment advocate organizations are also going to have to contact members of Congress. They also need to spend some money to reverse the anti-gun rhetoric that the American public has been bombarded with since the school shooting. The media has been relentless in keeping the issue in the forefront. Most of what they spew has nothing to with the 2nd amendment rights. Example: "There are no need for assault weapons for hunting" and blah, blah, blah. Relying just on Congress will be a mistake that will in all likelihood be irreversible.

Second Amendment - Firearms Ownership Advocacy Groups
    Second Amendment - Firearms Ownership Advocacy Groups
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Nothing is irreversible. NOTHING! The fact of the matter is how many lives are going to be lost restoring the irreversible?

On a side note.... if guns are banned in this country, then I dont see a reason for any man or woman to volunteer for our military anymore as this republic is completely done for at that point. There will be nothing left to defend constitutionally speaking. You see that evil 2nd Amendment is the one thing that truly is the glue of the constitution. Without it there is no teeth to enforce the protection of the rest. After all a wolf can't kill you with gums alone. He needs teeth. He needs his 2nd Amendment.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Obama doesn't care if the votes are there or not. Biden continues to be the best source of their hidden agenda and has already announced to the world that Obama use Executive Order to ban weapons if necessary. This leads me to believe that they have already discussed the possible use of the presidents EO authority and a plan has been drafted and approved by obama and ready for immediate implementation.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    I asked the 8=Ball: "how will this all pan out?" It said: "Come back and ask later!"

Will there be tighter BGC? Most likely. Will there be an EO to impalement any bans on anything? It appears that since the President of The United States of America isn't a Zar, Dictator, or King. From what everyone is indicating through their reports. He can not do that.

If that is true; QUESTION: "He hasn't got the authority to imposes any all out bans without going through Congress"? Or the Supreme Court steps in and has to strike it down? Damn it shouldn't have skipped civics class so much

I don't think there is a way on earth O-man would try to use Executive Orders.....

However, when the ATF , EPA , etc are all "created" , Congress gives them the power to create "regulations" as required to carry out their mission. Obama , can influence what 'regulations' they create and enforce. He has been able to stop imports on several guns, and M1A's from Korea... a couple of million of them.
    They've tried others, but when it was going to court, backed off of them.... knowing they wouldn't hold up.

He'll attempt to use the Agencies regulatory capabilities and stretch them as far as he can. The ATF is already exploring ammunition they can ban, based upon past laws, etc. .... back in the 70's, and if they can stretch them far enough to stand up in the courts. Check it out.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

They're gonna do what they're gonna do and in all likelihood I will be withdrawing my consent to be governed. To comply with laws that run contrary to the Constitution would be akin to spitting on the graves of those who fought and died to secure our freedom. I sure never aspired to this but it seems to be the hand I've been dealt.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Links