Tough Path for Ban on Assault Arms

This is a discussion on Tough Path for Ban on Assault Arms within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Maverickx50 I'm guessing they will stop the importing of all guns and all ammunition (ALL). This could be done by executive order. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Tough Path for Ban on Assault Arms

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I'm guessing they will stop the importing of all guns and all ammunition (ALL). This could be done by executive order. This would have the effect of increasing the costs exponentially putting them out of the reach of many of us.
    Maybe so. They'd have to ban everything at the component level though, since plenty of "overseas" weapons get assembled in the US to get around certain existing restrictions.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Some of ya'll probably know better than I do, but isn't most of the reloading powders produced overseas?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8th ID View Post
    Sadly, I work with several people who are 'gun people' and I tell them EVERY DAY to do the same. I just don't get it, many of them tell me that they have yet to contact their Reps. But I will be after them again today to do so.
    I know what you're saying, and you sure don't want to alienate your co-workers, though it sounds like they need some motivation. I might smile and tell them, "you don't want to cry over spilled milk one day do you".

Another helpful idea is give them the email links, representatives names, and a short sample letter that they can use or model; or give them their phone numbers and a short message to read over the phone. "My name is ????, I am a registered voter in ????? county and I'm against any gun control measures".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Glad to see this article Bugdude. Thanks for sharing. Also thank you as always for working so hard writing or congress men and women.

I saw only part of this article below was published in the front section of the St. Louis Post dispatch todoy of the front section on page A9.

Federal gun ban led to drop inhigh-capacity magazines : Stltoday

It irks me that the author David S Falisy says that the Federal gun ban led to "reduced rates". Sure it caused reduced rates of the full capacity magazines. But it implies to many that it means reduced rates of gun crime by stating it like this... It makes no mention that the government study by the DOJ that found the ban had no effect in reducing crime and that's why is was allowed to "sunset". Please join me in writing the St. Louis Post Dispatch at letters@post-dispatch.com and voicing your concern if you are concerned like myself about what this article implies. Hopefully they will print some of our replies in the letters to the editor section at the least. I have all day to write responses to news articles and pass on good articles today and plan to spend most of it doing so. We must continue to do what we have been doing and help spread the truth to friends and let the media know these things upset us. I personally canceled my subscription this morning.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Just reading the comments under the article made me madder 'n all get-out.
    I tried reading a few of the "picked ones" supposedly by both readers and the staff. I couldn't get past the first one, which was the classic, "I am a hunter and I own guns and I support a ban on military style weapons and limiting ammunition capacity." I am starting to wonder who is writing this crap. Do they have paid bloggers sitting with ready made comments to push this propaganda or something?

On a different note, I noticed this morning a change in the rhetoric published by the (mostly liberal) media. The focus when talking about Biden's speech was all about mental health reform and background checks and no longer mention an AWB or magazine capacity limits. Perhaps some of the continuous pushing the message that these things are not tolerable and will be opposed unilaterally to which it would kill any sort of legislation is starting to be heard.
    BugDude likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I tried reading a few of the "picked ones" supposedly by both readers and the staff. I couldn't get past the first one, which was the classic, "I am a hunter and I own guns and I support a ban on military style weapons and limiting ammunition capacity." I am starting to wonder who is writing this crap. Do they have paid bloggers sitting with ready made comments to push this propaganda or something?
    Funny you should say that, I just read this article a few days ago that was basically the confessions of a paid internet shill. He wrote a lengthy article about how he was paid to promote certain topics and/or ideas and would post all sorts of stuff based on a predefined playbook of talking points that his company gave him. The short story version is people looking to promote an agenda would hire this company and give them the talking points they want propagated by "individuals" rather than just the special interest group that they represented. This company employed many people to do this and each person would have many different online personalities, so in effect the one employee would "represent" a bunch of individuals, all with the same agenda.
    atctimmy likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Mr. Biden’s group is looking at ways of .....and cracking down on sales that are already illegal. One possibility is tougher laws against straw purchasing with longer prison terms for those who buy guns for others....Mr. Biden’s group is also considering seeking additional money to enforce existing laws.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I crazy or isn't this same Administration that watched as straw purchasers walked 2,000 firearms into Mexico after being notified by Gun shops, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of Mexican citizens and Border Patrol agent Brian Terry? NOW they want to enforce the laws?
    BugDude likes this.

Wasn't it more like 4,000.....just askin'........

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
    Mr. Bidenís group is looking at ways of .....and cracking down on sales that are already illegal. One possibility is tougher laws against straw purchasing with longer prison terms for those who buy guns for others....Mr. Bidenís group is also considering seeking additional money to enforce existing laws.
    I suspect many of these efforts will end up "requiring" a federal gun registry for implementation...

Re: Tough Path for Ban on Assault Arms

Nearly every man that I work with is a gun guy. Several of them come to me for info on stuff like ARs, and I go to them for advice on hunting, etc.

They are all madder than hell over what's going on, and 3 of them got ARs just before Christmas.

But.

When I try to convince them to contact their reps and join the NRA, they just shake their head and say "it's useless. They're gonna do what they want anyway" I really am running out of resources. If we cannot convince our own gun culture of the gravity of the situation, I'm afraid for the results.

They say it's all about money. Then I say well send some money to the NRA then. Combine your money with 4 million others and it will go farther. Again, all I get is a negative head shake.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Nearly every man that I work with is a gun guy. Several of them come to me for info on stuff like ARs, and I go to them for advice on hunting, etc.

They are all madder than hell over what's going on, and 3 of them got ARs just before Christmas.

But.

When I try to convince them to contact their reps and join the NRA, they just shake their head and say "it's useless. They're gonna do what they want anyway" I really am running out of resources. If we cannot convince our own gun culture of the gravity of the situation, I'm afraid for the results.

They say it's all about money. Then I say well send some money to the NRA then. Combine your money with 4 million others and it will go farther. Again, all I get is a negative head shake.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    How about ask them to join the forum and see what we're doing? Maybe if they see that there's a larger group, basically going beyond just yourself, that walks the walk, it might inspire them to take the time. It obviously matters not if the CC or not, this issue goes way beyond that facet of gun ownership.
    NRA Life Member

I tell them if it wasn't for the NRA they couldn't enjoy the rights they have today.
    TX expat likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Re: Tough Path for Ban on Assault Arms

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    How about ask them to join the forum and see what we're doing? Maybe if they see that there's a larger group, basically going beyond just yourself, that walks the walk, it might inspire them to take the time. It obviously matters not if the CC or not, this issue goes way beyond that facet of gun ownership.
    I've tried that, too. The problem is they think they know everything.

I'm trying to convince them to put more effort in carrying, too. To put away their hi-points and nylon holsters would be a step forward.

I think this is indicative of most gun people. They don't know what they don't know.

It's a tall order to educate yourself, let alone those around you.

I'm gonna keep trying, though.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    TX expat likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I've tried that, too. The problem is they think they know everything.

I'm trying to convince them to put more effort in carrying, too. To put away their hi-points and nylon holsters would be a step forward.

I think this is indicative of most gun people. They don't know what they don't know.

It's a tall order to educate yourself, let alone those around you.

I'm gonna keep trying, though.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Sometimes that's all you can do, brother. And you are correct, it's a hard path, no doubt. Everyone has different interest levels and so what might appeal to one guy, may never hit another's radar.

If all else fails just remember what water can do to rock; you just have to give it the time...
    ppkheat and zacii like this.
    NRA Life Member

You can be assaulted with a stapler or a pencil too. "Assault Weapon" is very misleading.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links