Tough Path for Ban on Assault Arms

This is a discussion on Tough Path for Ban on Assault Arms within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SoleShtr How predictable! Let's go after law abiding citizens and restrict their 2A rights and let's just ignore what is happening in ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Tough Path for Ban on Assault Arms

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    How predictable! Let's go after law abiding citizens and restrict their 2A rights and let's just ignore what is happening in Obama's "hometown" with all the gun violations. I guess tougher sentences on inner city criminals with guns is somehow being racist but restricting freedoms to people who "cling to their guns and religion" is just fine.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2.
    Is something happening over in Kenya.
    OD* likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

I renewed my wife's NRA membership and sent Walmart a letter today. Everyday I have been trying to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Im giving 25 to GOA and 25 to NRA tomorrow when I wake up.
    NRA Life Member

GOA Member

I got 3 more buddies in Virginia to start sending letters today. Gotta get the buzz factor up!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I don't believe for a moment Obama thinks the semi auto ban is near impossible. This article and similar articles are designed to get gun owners to quit contacting congress and start celebrating- prematurely.

As long as Dems control the Senate and the WH, the game is on and if they get a law passed, it will be virtually impossible to get it overturned.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie53 View Post
    I don't believe for a moment Obama thinks the semi auto ban is near impossible. This article and similar articles are designed to get gun owners to quit contacting congress and start celebrating- prematurely As long as Dems control the Senate and the WH, the game is on and if they get a law passed, it will be virtually impossible to get it overturned.
    We, the pro-2A community, can not afford to let up. We need to keep the pressure on and keep increasing it every way we can think of. The change I've noticed over the last few days is mostly in the media in that more time has been given to organizations like the NRA and other pro-gun individuals and the anti rhetoric has turned from AWB and to a lesser extent from the magazine capacity limits to more of the other things, which does include an enhanced registry (another item on DiFi's laundry list).

One thing I would like to suggest that others consider is joining discussions in other places than traditional gun forums like this one. I would give particular emphasis to more liberal oriented places, such as dailykos.com which also has a gun rights section. The reason being that there are many people out there who have leftist views on several social and economic issues, yet are ardent gun rights supporters and these individuals could both use our support. Another, possibly bigger, benefit is that Liberal politicians will assume that the Conservative gun rights supporter will never vote for them anyway, but the Liberal gun rights supporter may or may not. By pushing back against the affronts of the Obama administration in these circles, you are more likely to cause those politicians pause. Gaining ground with those politicians would be a very effective force multiplier compared to relying solely on politicians whose support we are likely to have.
    Doghandler likes this.

Noway2 has an excellent idea. By and large we are preaching to the choir. I think that if we can "infiltrate" the more liberal sites, and then present reasonable, rational and non-emotional arguments in favor of our rights, we may do more good than just encouraging each other, who by and large do not need much encouragement. One approach that I have found useful is to first have the statistical facts right. No, I am not as stupid as I sound. I know that the other side does not care about the stats if they go against their position. But nevertheless, the arguments usually start there. Then, after realizing that no one cares about the numbers, or no one really knows what the numbers are, you can go more into the theory of gun ownership, and that does seem to get the attention of the few who may have an open mind on the issue.
    noway2 and Doghandler like this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

One other point about people quoting statistics. Take the following now regularly quoted statistic about the so called gun show loophole. It goes something like this. According to the Brady Campaign, there are no registration or reporting requirements for guns bought at gun shows. The Brady Campaign then says that 40% of the guns bought in this country are bought at these shows. Question: if they are right on the first point, and there are no records of any of these sales, how then do they know that they make up 40% of all guns purchased?
    Doghandler and zacii like this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    There are plenty of well educated, upwardly mobile, gun tote'n Lib types out there with political connections who got theirs even under "may issue" scenarios. Many of them hold elected office. They just get a little squeamish at the thought of "the help" getting their fair and righteous share and running around all armed and dangerous and stuff.

Exposing hypocrisy is the greatest justice off all, but be gentle, we don't want to bruise any egos.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    There are plenty of well educated, upwardly mobile, gun tote'n Lib types out there with political connections who got theirs even under "may issue" scenarios. Many of them hold elected office. They just get a little squeamish at the thought of "the help" getting their fair and righteous share and running around all armed and dangerous and stuff.
    And those aren't the ones that we are going to convince through facts and reason, but we may be able to get them to feel some pressure. In addition to those people, there are plenty out there who both voted for those individuals and value their gun rights, even if their current rights are curtailed.

Someone pointed out that the visitor to member ratio on this site has gone up dramatically in the last month. Undoubtedly some of this is the eyes and ears of the politicians who want to know what way the winds are blowing. I am sure they are also present on other sites, including those with a leftward orientation. I realize that many members of this forum will go nowhere near a leftist site and some members have said that they flat out don't want anything to do with anyone who they view as Liberal or Progressive, which is fine. However, many of us are more moderate in our views and if we can help get the true message out there we will undoubtedly help tone down some of rhetoric which, from what I can tell, is feeding upon itself. While we aren't likely to make converts to our cause, we may stop some of the opposition. Here is part of a recent conversation I had with one such individual, who does not own or use guns, that was taken off line into PM territory once we stopped shouting past each other:
    I agree with you that there is some common ground to be achieved in terms of enforcement, certification, training, etc.--basically, I want to ensure that if someone is going to be in possession of an implement of lethal force--certainly in public but no less so in private, they're damn well responsible enough and qualified enough to do so.
    In this case, we were able to discuss what the real concerns and motivations are and you can see, they are the same concerns that most gun owners have. Perhaps with the realization that gun owners share the same concerns, they won't feel the need to oppose them at every turn.
    Doghandler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    One other point about people quoting statistics. Take the following now regularly quoted statistic about the so called gun show loophole. It goes something like this. According to the Brady Campaign, there are no registration or reporting requirements for guns bought at gun shows. The Brady Campaign then says that 40% of the guns bought in this country are bought at these shows. Question: if they are right on the first point, and there are no records of any of these sales, how then do they know that they make up 40% of all guns purchased?
    76.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have been battling Gun Control advocates for weeks.. literally and shredding them. The only argument is when someone asks for "justification" for an "assualt" rifle, then tells me they are against anyform of semi-automatic weapon.

I respond that "arms" is not limiting in the consititution and he responds with... "well lets all have nukes, and rocket launchers then..."

But I still usually win. Science, statistics, and the Law is on your side guys. Stick with that.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
    Mr. Bidenís group is looking at ways of .....and cracking down on sales that are already illegal. One possibility is tougher laws against straw purchasing with longer prison terms for those who buy guns for others....Mr. Bidenís group is also considering seeking additional money to enforce existing laws. Am I crazy or isn't this same Administration that watched as straw purchasers walked 2,000 firearms into Mexico after being notified by Gun shops, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of Mexican citizens and Border Patrol agent Brian Terry? NOW they want to enforce the laws?
    Their attitude is; DO AS I SAY .... NOT AS I DO

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    The Quantum nature of statistics has been discovered through the observation of the electron. We have yet to figure out how this applies to social science theories.

For now we will satisfy our souls with the usual editorial poetry.

The first Council Fires were built on gratitude and trust. It would serve us well to continue the tradition.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    4) mag capacity limits on ALL guns ( not just rifles... but handguns as well ) and make it illegal to own them if they are incapable of holding a mag with a capacity over 10 rds.
    I assume you meant "capable of holding" here. As worded, that would be a total ban on magazine-fed guns, semi-auto or not. Pretty much all magazine-fed guns are capable of holding > 10 rounds even if their standard magazines do not have that capacity.

I had a follow up thought to my earlier posts suggesting that we also make our voices heard in less friendly places and other liberal hangouts. If indeed the politicians have their ear to the ground in those places, as long as we maintain composure as well as use measured and reasoned responses, they won't be able to tell if the opinion is coming from someone with left or right leanings. In other words, it would still show as support for their silly bans is not present even in their strongholds. Everyone, please consider branching out and help get the word spread.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links