Tough Path for Ban on Assault Arms

This is a discussion on Tough Path for Ban on Assault Arms within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the NYT nonetheless, seems as though the reality of the hard line they've been showboating is finally starting to sink in. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/us...uding-nra.html BUT, now ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Tough Path for Ban on Assault Arms

In the NYT nonetheless, seems as though the reality of the hard line they've been showboating is finally starting to sink in.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/us...uding-nra.html

BUT, now is no time to let up. Keep sending correspondence to your representatives, join the NRA or whatever representative group that will keep YOU informed on legislative issues and will represent your interests. Keep talking to others, encouraging them to support the cause and do the same!!!
    Last edited by BugDude; January 11th, 2013 at 01:25 AM. Reason: added no time to let up part
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Im giving 25 to GOA and 25 to NRA tomorrow when I wake up.
    BugDude and Exacto like this.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Given the fact that we tried an AWB once for a decade and it had no effect on criminal misuse of guns, I can't see why anyone with a brain would think it would have a different result today. Our DOJ funded an independent study, the CDC looked at it, and the National Research Council/National Academy of Science all tried to find that the AWB had an effect on crime, and they all agreed it didn't. Only the Brady Bunch has found "evidence" that the AWB was in any way effective, but the BATF said they could not validate those findings.

I have to agree with the NRA statement that the Bambi/Biden effort is not about saving kids, it's about an agenda.
    BugDude, niks, noway2 and 5 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

NRA got my check this year for membership. I have never been a member ever but I see the time is now to act and support our rights anyway we can.
    SpringerXD, noway2 and BugDude like this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I renewed my membership thru 2016, hopefully I'll still be on this good earth to renew it again. LOL. I haven't heard much about the GOA but will send an application this week.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I noticed Biden, etc. weren't mentioning 'bans' now ... when they talked. They may have been just avoiding the subject for now.
    But , he was mentioning

1) banning certain types of ammunition,
    2) no internet sales of many gun items, including guns (to FFL's) and ammunition sales (has to be face to face),
    3) end all private sales, and
    4) mag capacity limits on ALL guns ( not just rifles... but handguns as well ) and make it illegal to own them if they are incapable of holding a mag with a capacity over 10 rds.

They are sure working Walmart over. I cannot personally believe that Walmart is the largest gun dealer in the USA. I'm not buying it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar

Re: Tough Path for Ban on Assault Arms

One possibility is tougher laws against straw purchasing with longer prison terms for those who buy guns for others. Some officials would like to expand mandatory minimum sentences for gun law violations, but the White House in general does not like such sentences. Mr. Biden's group is also considering seeking additional money to enforce existing laws.
    How predictable! Let's go after law abiding citizens and restrict their 2A rights and let's just ignore what is happening in Obama's "hometown" with all the gun violations. I guess tougher sentences on inner city criminals with guns is somehow being racist but restricting freedoms to people who "cling to their guns and religion" is just fine.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    They are sure working Walmart over. I cannot personally believe that Walmart is the largest gun dealer in the USA. I'm not buying it.

I believe it. The 2 Local Walmarts in my area that do sell firearms sell theirs quick. Before all of this nonsense started, they were always stocked with ammo and firearms. I spoke with some of the counter people and they all tell me that as fast as they get shotguns, rifles, and AR15's in, they would sell with in days before all this. Now he said as they are taking out the AR15 from the gun locker in the back, people are following them to the counter to purchase it. Again just my experience and opinion. Also both counter people tell me that te firearms and ammo are big money makers for them as the items are moved quickly and do not sit long. God Bless

VIP Member
    As gun owners and 2A supporters:
    1. Complacency is our hidden enemy....start today.
    2. Contact your key legislators multiple times.
    3. Join a pro-gun organization, it's okay to join more than one.
    4. Encourage family and friends to do the same.
    5. Repeat the above as much as possible.

A few thoughts about the "Biden Gun Ban Party":
    I'd think they'd have to be concerned about a backlash in the mid term elections two years from now. I'd say they are making a lot of noise right now with this hoping to get a groundswell of support started. They probably know that a AWB would likely get defeated in Congress so they've set their wish list high knowing they can compromise down, I'm sure they want to come out of this with some type of win.

The less we do as gunowners (complacency), the stronger they'll get with this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    I can't see why anyone with a brain

Brain, being the operative word here.

It is becoming apparent that those that support gun control or "reasonable restrictions" dont have a brain...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have contacted my Reps in Washington multiple times. And I'm going to send them some more comunication today. Sadly, I work with several people who are 'gun people' and I tell them EVERY DAY to do the same. I just don't get it, many of them tell me that they have yet to contact their Reps. But I will be after them again today to do so.

The reason that the murder rate in Chicago doesn't play into any of this: Putting a microscope on THAT would mean that the elected officials would HAVE to look at the REAL causes and do some REAL WORK.

It is much easier for the anti's to use emotion and attempt some legistlation that will make all the Utopian Seeking Liberals feel all 'Deepak Chopra' like.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    As gun owners and 2A supporters...

...The less we do as gunowners (complacency), the stronger they'll get with this.
    I've emailed, called, etc., not because I expected this to make a difference, but because I can say I wasn't complacent. IMO, we must avow ourselves of every civil remedy before we can advocate for others.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Just reading the comments under the article made me madder 'n all get-out.

We are up aginst an agenda that was 'in-place' well before this administration was voted in. Given time and a few tragic events the supportors of any anti-gun 'anything' now have a voice and support. 'WE' are now the 'villains' and it's acceptable to attack 'us' (legal, law-abiding, and responsable gun owners) wether it 'protects' our children or not. We need to support those who support us and get in the fight. Ppkheat is absolutly right!
    oneshot likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    As gun owners and 2A supporters:
    1. Complacency is our hidden enemy....start today.
    2. Contact your key legislators multiple times.
    3. Join a pro-gun organization, it's okay to join more than one.
    4. Encourage family and friends to do the same.
    5. Repeat the above as much as possible.

A few thoughts about the "Biden Gun Ban Party":
    I'd think they'd have to be concerned about a backlash in the mid term elections two years from now. I'd say they are making a lot of noise right now with this hoping to get a groundswell of support started. They probably know that a AWB would likely get defeated in Congress so they've set their wish list high knowing they can compromise down, I'm sure they want to come out of this with some type of win.

The less we do as gunowners (complacency), the stronger they'll get with this.
    I'd only change #2. I think contacting ALL your legislators. Federal, state and even your local legislators. Every single one of them needs to hear from the people that put them, and keep them, in office. All of them should get the message that, as a thoughtful voter, you aren't going to support anyone who supports the suppression of our rights.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I'm guessing they will stop the importing of all guns and all ammunition (ALL). This could be done by executive order. This would have the effect of increasing the costs exponentially putting them out of the reach of many of us.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links