Morgan vs. Shapiro

This is a discussion on Morgan vs. Shapiro within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI Did he not agree with Piers in the video that there should be a national database with guns registered? Or did ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Morgan vs. Shapiro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Did he not agree with Piers in the video that there should be a national database with guns registered?

Or did I hear that wrong?
    No, you got it right. He said he supported stronger background checks for all sales.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    No, you got it right. He said he supported stronger background checks for all sales.
    No I could have said something was also said specifically by Piers about a national registrar, and Ben agreed (possibly to move the conversation on?)

I'll watch it again and see if I can discern what I thought I heard.

Edit:

Yep, there is is. Conversation about a registrar starts at 8:25

He says he would agree with a national registry if it was not public.

Heck Naw!
    TX expat likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

piers3.jpg

Feel free to distribute...
    wmhawth and Bark'n like this.

Re: Morgan vs. Shapiro

I like most of what Shapiro had to say, especially exposing Morgan as a bully.

I vehemently disagree with any registration and/or more background checks. Shapiro mentioned the disarmament and consequent slaughter of many people in history. What he failed to mention was that a national firearm registry was created first, in order to carry out their designs.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I wouldn't be opposed to a FBI background check requirement on all gun sales if:
    1) there would be no local/state/federal record of the transfer of firearms (as protection against later confiscation attempts)
    2) So long as it could be done quickly, inexpensively and with minimal inconvience. (How? Perhaps access to the number the FFL dealers use???)
    3) If the law would exempt parents/grand parents giving/passing down their firearms to their children (grand children).

Since it's highly unlikely that these 3 would be considered in any new law...forget it.
    If you want to avoid selling a firearm to a prohibited person...you can always sell it to an FFL Dealer.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Piers Morgan met his match this time!

Did he not agree with Piers in the video that there should be a national database with guns registered?

Or did I hear that wrong?
    He said it should not be public at all. He mentioned he disliked the newspaper outing all the permit holders in a few NY counties. The only thing he said, and it's not insane to think it's ok is to make background checks more thorough. Agree or disagree it's up to you but it's not completely anti to think that some people would be better off not owning a firearm because they are not responsible people or are not stable emotionally.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

No I could have said something was also said specifically by Piers about a national registrar, and Ben agreed (possibly to move the conversation on?)

I'll watch it again and see if I can discern what I thought I heard.

Edit:

Yep, there is is. Conversation about a registrar starts at 8:25

He says he would agree with a national registry if it was not public.

Heck Naw!
    I think he's saying if the government isn't involved with the registry, then it would be acceptable. That would mean buyers and sellers of firearms would be able to choose whether or not to participate in the registry. I agree with that sort of system.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    I think he's saying if the government isn't involved with the registry, then it would be acceptable. That would mean buyers and sellers of firearms would be able to choose whether or not to participate in the registry. I agree with that sort of system.
    No he's saying that it can't be public information. He's not saying anything about a choice to participate.
    NRA Life Member

To me it seems like he wouldn't mind as long as you couldn't be outed by the USAToday listing everyone in your state with their address and picture.

I don't agree with any registry. Why does it matter what I have or how much or this ammo I have? If someone were to commit a crime using a firearm, they probably don't care if they know he owns one. He's giving up his rights when he commits the crime anyway no?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

No he's saying that it can't be public information. He's not saying anything about a choice to participate.
    This guy is a political writer. In politics Public = Government and Private = Citizens.

When did he say the registry had to be mandatory?

VIP Member
    This guy is a political writer. In politics Public = Government and Private = Citizens.

Piers asks him about background checks and he replies that he's for background checks. Then Piers says "for everybody?" and he affirms, "for everybody". Then Piers says something about there needing to be a national database and he replies "as long as it's not public".

You can read into it what you want, however I'd like for you head up to the gun store and ask to buy a gun and then inform them that you won't be participating in their background check, you'd just like the firearm. Report back where it gets you and then we can talk about him not brining up the word mandatory.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar

No, they were talking about a national registry. That means federal. He just meant he wouldn't want who owns what firearms available by a freedom of information request.

Mandatory? What? Of course it would be mandatory.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Piers asks him about background checks and he replies that he's for background checks. Then Piers says "for everybody?" and he affirms, "for everybody". Then Piers says something about there needing to be a national database and he replies "as long as it's not public".

You can read into it what you want, however I'd like for you head up to the gun store and ask to buy a gun and then inform them that you won't be participating in their background check, you'd just like the firearm. Report back where it gets you and then we can talk about him not brining up the word mandatory.
    If the gun store is behind the home depot in some guy's trunk there is no background check. This market exists today and it will always exist. Getting the current government involved is just going to make it harder for citizens to arm themselves.

VIP Member
    If the gun store is behind the home depot in some guy's trunk there is no background check. This market exists today and it will always exist. Getting the current government involved is just going to make it harder for citizens to arm themselves.
    So what point would you like to make exactly? I'm pretty sure I know what the laws are and how things work. I'm trying to get an idea what you are posting about. You want background checks or not? Some sort of optional privately run database of gun ownership? What?
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links