I am guessing that the AWB will not go through so will AR15 prices drop like a rock ? - Page 2

I am guessing that the AWB will not go through so will AR15 prices drop like a rock ?

This is a discussion on I am guessing that the AWB will not go through so will AR15 prices drop like a rock ? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Taking my AR to the gun show today. I just want to see if anyone makes me a rediculously stupid offer....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: I am guessing that the AWB will not go through so will AR15 prices drop like a rock ?

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Taking my AR to the gun show today. I just want to see if anyone makes me a rediculously stupid offer.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Yeah, and I am kicking myself for selling my PSL. It's going for double what I asked for it, and if the rumored EO on imports hits, I'd get $5k minimum.

Darn it, sold my retirement stock too soon.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    If nothing happens, there will be people with these rifles that they don't want anymore, so they'll either sell them privately or sell them back to the gun store. If enough of that happens, the market will be saturated with semi-autos, and the price should drop. The biggest thing will be all of the morons that panic buy, and end up paying three times what they should, and will be pissed when they realize that their $3,500 Colt 6420 is only worth $999, and their $2,500 Windham Weaponry AR is only worth $750.
    Exactly it happened in 94 it might happen again dont know yet.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Will the prices drop? Compared to now? Yep. Eventually.

Never underestimate the power of the Assembly Line & the might of the U.S industrial market.

If there is money to be made, we can design the mechanism to meet the need.

I easily recall when the gas prices spiked with fear of $5/gallon how the Toyota Prius flew off the shelves with
    long waiting periods and even USED ones selling at new car sticker.
    When we missed the $5/gallon mark; Shazaam!...anyone could get a Prius...cheap too.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Supply vs demand. The less available the more costly. With the last round of panic buying, manufacturing will need to catch up before you see a price drop. As indicated here, the used market is fueling some of the current cost. If used is readily available they will not manufacture as many thus keeping the new prices high. They like it like that.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

The thing is that even if there is no gun grab, I hear the manufacturers are 2 years behind in production now. So it will be a LONG time before things return to "normal" and I don't think we will ever see a return to pre-panic prices. I remember when a decent AK was $150. Then the AWB, and after it expired they only dropped to $350, and were inching up to around $650 pre-panic. Now I'm seeing WASRs for $1,850. So let's say the gun ban fails, prices will drop somewhat, eventually production will catch up and by then panic buyers will be dumping them - but I think we will see prices stabilize at higher than pre-panic levels, maybe $850-$950 for WASRs. Probably around $1,000 for guns like Windhams, or $1,200-$1,400 for Colts.
    atctimmy likes this.

The problem I see is retailers taking advantage of this by marking up everything. 30 round pmags for around $50 is just nuts. A basic rock river that used to be about $800 is now selling for $2000. That is the retailers causing that. There are some stores that are keeping prices the same and just selling what they have as it comes in. Some items went up in price from the distributor but not as much as some places are trying to get for certain items.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Being dead serious here. Can someone show me in the last 50 years when gun and ammo prices actually dropped a substantial amount? In my lifetime, I think I have only seen it increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Being dead serious here. Can someone show me in the last 50 years when gun and ammo prices actually dropped a substantial amount? In my lifetime, I think I have only seen it increase.
    Unfortunately, I think you're right. But, a guy can hope can't he?
    Last edited by Crowbait; January 14th, 2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Typo
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    The biggest thing will be all of the morons that panic buy, and end up paying three times what they should, and will be pissed when they realize that their $3,500 Colt 6420 is only worth $999, and their $2,500 Windham Weaponry AR is only worth $750.
    THIS!!! There was a Kel-Tec KSG shotty that went for $3800 on GB. Wonder if it's worth it? LOL!!!!
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Ammo prices will go back down, but not to their previous "low". We're seeing a spike now for obvious reasons, but it'll level out. My guess is that ammo will return very close to what it was last year.

AR prices will also come down. Just as soon as people quit panic buying!! AR prices will come down when people stop paying 2 grand for a Bushmaster. It's our fault folks. Knock it off, wait a little bit, and it will be better for all of us.

+1 to that. I doubt they will drop to the levels they were, the odds are against that. I do agree they may drop back to similar levels but not what they were. Glad I got a deal and did all my upgrades back then. And happy I upgraded to a Daniel Defense CHF barrel when you could get one.

While I am thrilled with my DD I picked up last year, I would sell the DPMS AR I traded for an HK USP in a heartbeat for $1M.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links