Response From My Senator

Response From My Senator

This is a discussion on Response From My Senator within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just received an email response today from one of our GA senators, Senatory Saxby Chambliss. Here is his response: "Dear Mr. Patterson: "Thank you for ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pittypat21
  • 1 Post By pittypat21

Thread: Response From My Senator

Response From My Senator

Just received an email response today from one of our GA senators, Senatory Saxby Chambliss. Here is his response:

"Dear Mr. Patterson:

"Thank you for contacting me regarding the reinstatement of the assault weapons ban. Your taking the time to contact me is appreciated.

"As a parent and grandparent, there are no words to describe my grief at the senseless loss of life at Sandy Hook Elementary School. My deepest sympathy goes out to the Newtown, Connecticut community, and all of the victims, families, and loves ones of this horrible tragedy. I join the rest of the nation in offering my prayers to all of those impacted.

"In response to this and other tragic and high-profile acts of violence, there is a renewed focus on this expired legal provision. I believe that Congress will have an extensive and detailed debate about all of the potential causes of these tragic crimes, including mental health issues, depictions of violence in television, movies, and video games, and firearms. Your comments are important, and I will remember them as the debate moves forward.

"On September of 1994, Congress passed and President Clinton signed into law the "Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act" (P.L. 103-322). This legislation prohibited the sale of certain semi-automatic weapons, often referred to as the assault weapons. On September 13, 2004 the ban expired.

"I have always been a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights, and I will continue to ensure the rights of gun owners will not be further infringed upon. We must make certain that the rights and freedoms of law-abiding citizens are not infringed upon. I believe that the ability of sportsmen, hunters, gun enthusiasts and citizens concerned with their personal safety to own a gun, whether for sport or protection is clearly defined in the Constitution and must not be compromised.

"I know that dialogue regarding acts of violence will likely result in a wide range of legislative proposals seeking to address the underlying causes. As these pieces of legislation come before me in the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind."
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    My response from Lindsey Graham would have been a waste of paper if it wasn't an email.

VIP Member
    Took long enough to get to his stance on the subject!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

So like my Senators...he said nothing. I just wrote a pretty direct response to the non-responses I got from my Senators. They both went on their Facebook pages and the news to state that they supported the AWB and magazine capacity restrictions. It wrote that even though my congressperson (DeGette) was against the Second Amendment and I would be doing everything I could to make sure she doesn't get re-elected, at least she had the decency to respond to me with the truth. I then told them that if they continue to pursue such legislation I would actively campaign against them in the next elections. We need to keep writing back to them and remind them that we are tired of their political games!

Senior Moderator
    Your Senator appears to be an expert in saying lots of words without really saying anything.

Typical.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    So like my Senators...he said nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Your Senator appears to be an expert in saying lots of words without really saying anything.

Typical.
    Did you all miss this paragraph? While it may sound generic he does affirm his feelings on the 2nd Amendment.
    I have always been a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights, and I will continue to ensure the rights of gun owners will not be further infringed upon. We must make certain that the rights and freedoms of law-abiding citizens are not infringed upon. I believe that the ability of sportsmen, hunters, gun enthusiasts and citizens concerned with their personal safety to own a gun, whether for sport or protection is clearly defined in the Constitution and must not be compromised.
    Don't worry, though. I'm writing a response as we speak. I'm not finished writing my letters, yet.
    TX expat likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah I read it.

That is exactly what the other 99Senators will say.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Yeah I read it.

That is exactly what the other 49 Senators will say.
    Well, 99, but okay. And I doubt that considering the number of senators that are blatantly against the 2nd Amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Did you all miss this paragraph? While it may sound generic he does affirm his feelings on the 2nd Amendment.

Don't worry, though. I'm writing a response as we speak. I'm not finished writing my letters, yet.
    So did mine...generically and then went on the news and on social media supporting AWBs

Senior Moderator
    Whoops...my bad. Brain fart. You are right. 99.

Senators...all of them...are experts at telling you what you want to hear and then doing whatever their party leader tells them to.

That is why we are having the issues that we do.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Whoops...my bad. Brain fart. You are right. 99.

Senators...all of them...are experts at telling you what you want to hear and then doing whatever their party leader tells them to.

That is why we are having the issues that we do.
    And that is why I'm in the middle of a response.

(You didn't think I'd quit writing letters that easily did you?)
    HotGuns likes this.

Here is what I have for my response so far. Any suggestions? Anything I should add?

Senator,

My name is <my name>, and I am a former Marine living in Georgia. First off, I want to thank you for your reply. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to respond to my message. I will continue writing you concerning this subject, and I am urging others to do the same; this is a very important issue to myself, as well as the millions of other gun owners.

I am writing to you today as a concerned citizen and as a man who took an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States.

This past month, especially since the tragedy that occurred in Newtown, CT, the 2nd amendment has seen an increased amount of opposition from our national leaders, elected officials across the country, and the media. Many people are crying out for increased gun control. Even a number of people that support the 2nd Amendment are calling for “reasonable” gun control. But I am writing you today to tell you that more gun control is NOT the answer, and I hope you feel the same way.

There have been talks of banning specific weapons, making it more difficult to obtain them, talks of registering weapons, and even confiscation. None of these will prevent crime. None of these will stop a criminal. The idea that increasing gun control will reduce crime is an illogical one. We can see this from states that already have strict gun control. Connecticut is one of the most restrictive states concerning gun control, and yet the horrible events that unfolded on December 14th still happened. Laws will not stop the evil men that perpetrate these types of crimes.

You stated in your letter that you have always been a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment, and for that, I am grateful. It is my purpose to encourage you and support your efforts to maintain this very same stance, that we will not accept any further legislation that restricts the rights of law-abiding citizens. This includes “high-capacity” magazine bans, banning of any specific weapon, and any type of registration. You also stated, in a second reply that we must make certain that the rights of law-abiding citizens are not “unfairly impeded”. Sir, there is no such thing as a fair impedance. Any obstruction of our rights is “unfair”.

If it is the wish of anti-gun individuals to keep guns out of the wrong hands, then passing legislation that keeps out of the hands of good people is not the answer. In terms of “assault rifles”, the FBI Uniform Crime Report shows that in 2011, of the homicides committed with a firearm, only 323 (3.76%) were with rifles (of any kind). Out of all homicides, that only accounts for 2.5%. (FBI &mdash; Expanded Homicide Data Table 8)

It’s important to remember that this number also includes justifiable homicides, where law enforcement and private citizens were authorized the use of deadly force. (FBI &mdash; Expanded Homicide Data Table 14, FBI &mdash; Expanded Homicide Data Table 15) So if we account for these justifiable homicides, we’ll see that the number of felony homicides drops to an even lower number. In total, there were 7992 homicides by firearm that were not justifiable, and 278 of those were committed with a rifle. That is about 3.47%. But there were 591 justifiable homicides committed with a firearm, and of those 45 were with a rifle. That is 7.6%. I think you can clearly see that rifles are more often chosen by good people to defend themselves than by evil people to murder.

Many people have said that if banning “assault weapons” or “high-capacity” magazines can save even ONE life, it’s worth it. But I’m here to tell you that the people already use these weapons, along with other firearms, to save lives. Banning them would only restrict their ability to defend themselves. Another thing to consider is that good people do not always kill their attacker. There have been many occasions where an attacker or intruder is held off without any shots being fired. You see, good people don't want to kill. But they do want to live.

I look forward to your response, Senator, and I hope I can count on you to oppose any legislation that would restrict the rights of good people through banning weapons or magazines, through registration or confiscation, or through any other means.

Thank you.

Respectfully,

<my name>

Links