For you folks wondering where the NRA has been - Page 2

For you folks wondering where the NRA has been

This is a discussion on For you folks wondering where the NRA has been within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For those old enough to recall, one of the masters of boxing spent the first 6 rounds running, holding on, and counter punching until his ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: For you folks wondering where the NRA has been

For those old enough to recall, one of the masters of boxing spent the first 6 rounds running, holding on, and counter punching until his opponent got tired. Then he danced circles around them and beat them like they were running in slow motion. The thing that allowed him to do this was he could take a punch like no other. The NRA is much like Ali in this regard.
    Doghandler and Lnafree like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    "Currently buyers at gun shows do not have to undergo the same background checks as buyers at gun stores. "

This is news to me? Once again, CNN stating something as fact that they don't know what they are talking about. Why do they insist on being ignorant? Do a little research!
    Tzadik and Rock and Glock like this.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    For those old enough to recall, one of the masters of boxing spent the first 6 rounds running, holding on, and counter punching until his opponent got tired. Then he danced circles around them and beat them like they were running in slow motion. The thing that allowed him to do this was he could take a punch like no other. The NRA is much like Ali in this regard.
    I sure hope you are right. Because the other option is they are getting beat on, and the beatings will continue until the ref calls the fight. I do like the analogy though.
    Walk softly ...

I may be misreading this, but I don't think so. The tone of the rhetoric coming out of the White House...even out of the Vice-President, has diminished. So has it's scope. I want to believe it's a good sign. I hope all those profoundly principled folks up on the Hill have had to buy faster internet routers and larger waste cans to deal with the torrent of correspondence. Maybe some new phone lines, as well. If any of these things have been "trial balloons", let's keep on letting them know they have flight problems.

PC

Re: For you folks wondering where the NRA has been

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I sure hope you are right. Because the other option is they are getting beat on, and the beatings will continue until the ref calls the fight. I do like the analogy though.
    I like it, too.. I must, I used the Rope-a-dope analogy last week. ;)
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterCartwright View Post
    I may be misreading this, but I don't think so. The tone of the rhetoric coming out of the White House...even out of the Vice-President, has diminished. So has it's scope. I want to believe it's a good sign. I hope all those profoundly principled folks up on the Hill have had to buy faster internet routers and larger waste cans to deal with the torrent of correspondence. Maybe some new phone lines, as well. If any of these things have been "trial balloons", let's keep on letting them know they have flight problems.

PC
    I'm just guessing but it's my opinion that the reality of their plight is starting to hit home. The real 'polls' are coming in and while they have most certainly enjoyed an uptick in concern over mass shootings and slaughter with the dreaded "assault rifle", I think they are finding that all their grandstanding has fallen short of the groundswell of support they expected. The rabid ones are still clawing at the gate though, and don't think that the puppet master pulling the strings isn't as rabid as the rest; he's just cloaked himself in his role as president. He wants a disarmed America. Don't ever assume that because they aren't seeing the support they expected that it'll stop them. Just remember the public opinion polls on Obamacare when he railroaded it through. The only opinion that matters to Obama is Obama's; he'll just make sure that others take the fall for it.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    "Currently buyers at gun shows do not have to undergo the same background checks as buyers at gun stores. "

This is news to me? Once again, CNN stating something as fact that they don't know what they are talking about. Why do they insist on being ignorant? Do a little research!
    Why would they do research and report the truth when reporting falsehoods helps to promote their agenda.
    OD* likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Getting ready...

I think the guys at Pearl Harbor were "getting ready" to defend themselves against the Japanese bombers... as soon as the first few shells hit...

We didn't fare so well (in that battle), If my history lessons are correct... But maybe we can win the war... I hope.

I really hope it's not a case of too little, too late.
    We just need to nuke a bunch of gun-grabbers and the rest will roll right over...
    pacman likes this.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

A wise older man told me once, "It's hard to listen when your mouth is flapping." He went on to say that if you are quiet and choose your moments to speak carefully, you will know what you know and what your opponent knows, but he will not know what YOU know.

Joe Blow and the rest of them are showing their cards, The NRA is careful not to show theirs until the time is right and with the people it will be most effective, the legislators. Politicians are not concerned with whether something will be effective or not, it's public cinema. Optics, What will look good to the people voting for me. Meanwhile, the NRA goes about their business of quietly letting the policiticians know what they are risking if they support more gun control. They are in a position where running off at the mouth too much just gives the antis fodder for their spin tactics.
    OD*, zacii, Thompsonian and 2 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Capt. John Parker......Lexington Green.....April 19, 1775.
    Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Two of Captain Parker's muskets were given to the state of Massachusetts; one the light fowling-piece which he carried at Quebec and Lexington and one that he captured. They hang today in the Senate Chamber of the Massachusetts State House.
    Aren't those the guns that a new law required have trigger locks until an exception was made in a later session?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I assumed the NRA was in the huddle, calling the next play.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My fear is another tragedy in the next 60 days will happen and drive the nail in the coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    My fear is another tragedy in the next 60 days will happen and drive the nail in the coffin.
    Yes, this.

They will make another one happen just as they made the previous ones happen to further the agenda. They always do.

Question Time Will Tell

Here's Kim Strassel's take on it:

Strassel: The Real Gun-Control Consensus - WSJ.com

An almost cosmic disconnect has been building in the political sphere since the tragedy of Sandy Hook. On the one side is the gun-control community, which sniffed a rare political opening and is determined to use it to the max. Vice President Joe Biden's gun-violence task force has given that community a vehicle for its ambitions, even as it has encouraged it to ramp up its demands.

By this week, the elites were calling for a gun-control agenda unmatched in modern times. The closing of the gun-show "loophole"? Restrictions on large-capacity clips? An "assault weapons" ban? They want all that, plus a national gun database, and a background check for every gun sale, and similar checks for ammunition sales, and regulation of Internet transactions.............The media have reported all this as rational, reasonable and doable.

On the other side is the reality that any of these proposals must, in the normal course of things, pass Congress. A few quick facts about that body. 1) More than half of its members have an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association. 2) The few members today calling for gun control are the same few who have always called for gun control. 3) The House is run by Republicans.
    Over in the House, when asked recently what was more likely—passage of gun control or Speaker John Boehner becoming a pagan—a senior GOP leadership aide told Buzzfeed: "Probably the latter."

Even were the Senate to summon 60 votes (unlikely), and even were Mr. Boehner to risk the renewed wrath of his caucus by moving such a bill (crazy unlikely), any legislation would fall to members such as Virginia's Bob Goodlatte (who runs the Judiciary Committee) and Pete Sessions (who runs the Rules Committee). Mr. Goodlatte is strong on gun rights. Mr. Sessions is from Texas.
    The White House is playing its usual fuzzy double-game. Does it intend to stick to mental-health recommendations and slough off on Congress any gun decisions? Or does it intend to embrace gun control in its liberal remake of the country? Was the leak that the Biden task force is debating big gun restrictions a signal of a fight to come? Or was it a deliberate head fake—to make smaller proposals look more reasonable? No one has a clue.

Whatever the White House intends, it is already in a tough position. The task-force leak, ...................has seriously raised expectations. Anything less than the dismantling of the Second Amendment will earn Mr. Obama a lambasting from his left.
    Additionally, the Fiscal Cliff merely got pushed back three months and the Republicans are a wee bit sore about that. It will get more difficult to read the tea leaves as this moves, but Obama will regret publicly gloating about making the Republicans "raise taxes on the rich", particularly given a lot of his supporters are getting hammered with the SS tax increases. Even the Economist said Obama is being unrealistically "French" about spending money like drunk monkeys......let alone his desire to have Immigration Reform too............

Where in the world is he going to fit gun control in? Is that one he'll sit back for, and blame Republicans for the failure so as to galvanize voters for 2014? Marco Rubio is getting ahead of Obama on Immigration, so watch where that traction goes.

I've probably stirred everything up enough I'll get 12 Billion penalty points and banned, but that's my current take, subject to change of course.

They will make another one happen just as they made the previous ones happen to further the agenda. They always do.
    Absurd, ridiculous and totally without any support.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links