For those of you who would vote Dem, or not at all, to spite the Republcans! - Page 2

For those of you who would vote Dem, or not at all, to spite the Republcans!

This is a discussion on For those of you who would vote Dem, or not at all, to spite the Republcans! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Boy, this thread is an eye-opener. If a pro-gun rights forum such as this one is filled with folks who still don't understand that the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who would vote Dem, or not at all, to spite the Republcans!

Exclamation How sad...

Boy, this thread is an eye-opener. If a pro-gun rights forum such as this one is filled with folks who still don't understand that the majority of Dem *leadership* are anti-gun rights and the majority of Rep *leaders* are pro-gun rights -- then there's not much hope that future generations will enjoy the same freedoms that we do.

I've been a registered Independent all my life and have a bone to pick with both parties on at least some issues. And I could care less how anyone votes on this forum -- that's your right as an American -- but at least try to know your enemy.

It's blatantly obvious to anyone that can read as to which political leaders are more supportive of gun rights. Do yourselves a favor and at least read both party planks and conduct minimal research of both parties major beliefs. It's not difficult and you may find you are more (or less) at odds with the party you support than you previously thought. Sheesh.

Assistant Administrator
    bullrat

Good points but just a reminder to all generally - we are getting in fairly deep now and tho it is of great import, let's make sure we keep things good and cool. Not easy - as this stuff is potentially ''hot potato'' category
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    After its all said and done , Refusing to vote is simply giving a vote to the most objectionable canadate . If you don't mind this it is certainly your right as an American , but for me I will diligently try and pick the lessor of evils if it comes to the point that I cannot fully support either canadate . And to bring it back on topic , no matter the party , the canadate who supports gun rights gets my vote .
    That whole post is right on target with my original ideas on voting, (regardless of how I otherwise botched the opening), and the part I left quoted here should be required reading for all media talking heads, and included in some waterboarding enhanced "training sessions" for those who constantly try to manipulate the minds and emotions of Americans.

B.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

It's blatantly obvious to anyone that can read as to which political leaders are more supportive of gun rights. Do yourselves a favor and at least read both party planks and conduct minimal research of both parties major beliefs. It's not difficult and you may find you are more (or less) at odds with the party you support than you previously thought. Sheesh.[/QUOTE]

I guess we should all just ignore the candidates and what their individual positions are and vote the party platform like the good sheeple they want us to be, huh. After all, if the candidates are sheeple when it comes to their own party platforms on gun issues as some are suggesting, why not follow in their footsteps as well and get right in line. Baaah. Heaven forbid, we actually look at the individual candidate and their records on 2nd amendment issues or whatever else might be important to you.

Btw, I have never been able to vote for anyone in the House or Senate that didn't represent me, so I haven't been able to choose the "leadership", just my representative or senators. Maybe I need to move somewhere else so that I can vote to choose the leadership whereever that may be, on second thought I will stay in Texas.

In this forum there are lots of references to sheeple for whatever reasons or meaning behind it, but to me sheeple come in all shapes sizes or whatever, willing to go along without actually thinking themselves.

Please vote in November or whenever for "your" candidate that supports "your" interests.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by bullrat View Post
    Boy, this thread is an eye-opener. If a pro-gun rights forum such as this one is filled with folks who still don't understand that the majority of Dem *leadership* are anti-gun rights and the majority of Rep *leaders* are pro-gun rights -- then there's not much hope that future generations will enjoy the same freedoms that we do.

I've been a registered Independent all my life and have a bone to pick with both parties on at least some issues. And I could care less how anyone votes on this forum -- that's your right as an American -- but at least try to know your enemy.

It's blatantly obvious to anyone that can read as to which political leaders are more supportive of gun rights. Do yourselves a favor and at least read both party planks and conduct minimal research of both parties major beliefs. It's not difficult and you may find you are more (or less) at odds with the party you support than you previously thought. Sheesh.
    bullrat: you sure got that right, I guess for some it hard to accept!!

I think the most important thing is this: will the candidate (Dem or Rep) vote their beliefs or will they vote party lines.

There have been several races where a progun bill was passed only to be vetoed by a governor. Then the overide vote failed because a member of the governors party who originally supported the bill, changed his vote so that HIS governor would not lose the veto vote.

Also, even if you have a democrat who is very pro gun. His election (on the national level) could change the leadership in congress. If the Nancy Pelosi crowd gets control, it will be some time before you see a progun bill hit the floor.

I want to buy a nice little island somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I guess we should all just ignore the candidates and what their individual positions are and vote the party platform like the good sheeple they want us to be, huh. After all, if the candidates are sheeple when it comes to their own party platforms on gun issues as some are suggesting, why not follow in their footsteps as well and get right in line. Baaah. Heaven forbid, we actually look at the individual candidate and their records on 2nd amendment issues or whatever else might be important to you.

Btw, I have never been able to vote for anyone in the House or Senate that didn't represent me, so I haven't been able to choose the "leadership", just my representative or senators. Maybe I need to move somewhere else so that I can vote to choose the leadership whereever that may be, on second thought I will stay in Texas.

In this forum there are lots of references to sheeple for whatever reasons or meaning behind it, but to me sheeple come in all shapes sizes or whatever, willing to go along without actually thinking themselves.

Please vote in November or whenever for "your" candidate that supports "your" interests.
    Excellent post. It would do us all as Americans better if we remembered this.

On that note, if anything in that list passes, I'm looking for a revolution to join.

DC Founder
    I think that the original point that RR made was that we are trying, as a forum, to stay out of politics, especially with the election so close.

While political outcomes certainly have alot to do with gun rights, political discussions directly involving 2A issues are allowed. I found no problem with any of the information contained within the post, except for the thread title, which has pushed or crossed the line somewhat. All we ask is that you attack the issue and not parties.

I don't mind telling you I am a conservative, and that makes me a Republican, for the most part, and I generally vote that way. But, I have in-laws that are Democrats and are as pro gun as anyone here. Do I agree with them on every issue? No. Do I get in in-depth political discussions them? No. We can (and do) talk about the issues, but party affiliation is never discussed. Individual politicians, since they have voting records that illustrate that they are part of the problem or the solution, do get discussed. We just don't accuse either party of things that will drive a wedge between us. I call that mutual respect.

That is what we are trying for here. If you want to talk about gun issues or concealed carry issues, then this is the place. If you want to discuss politics or take a slap at someone, or their party, there are other, more appropriate forums to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by bullrat View Post
    I believe everyone here understands the current situation very well; probably better than most as it applies to gun rights. So well in fact that they know how they need to vote to insure our gun rights remain intact. IMHO, you need to understand that in some situations that may mean that some of our members may need to specifically vote for a Democrat to give them the best opportunity to preserve that right. There are generalities that work in most, but not all situations. Voting party line (on either side) may cause you to lose a right that you care alot about. That being said I see a flaw in your last sentence. Teach future generations to vote for gun rights candidates, not for a particular party.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Yea well when and if any of that actually get into a bill or on the floor of the house or senate for debate I might take it seriously. Until then I will consider it less than accurate and mostly bs.

That attitude seems akin to saying, "When I have that fire in the kitchen, I'll head out to pick up one of those fire extinguishing thingies..."

Why on earth would you want to wait until this kind of atrocity is breathing down our necks before you squash it??

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    I think the focus should not be on the party, but on the candidate's position on gun control.

Any candidate espousing support for gun control measures like the Assault Weapons Ban will not get my vote, even if I dislike the opposing candidate.

I'd prefer to abstain than to support a gun grabber.

Matt
    The problem is that these days, those who favor gun control (in just about any form) have seen where that gets them at election time, and even the ones who devoutly believe in it are not going to be touting it!

I favor what the original poster asserted, that OVERALL if you need to make an educated guess about who to vote for if you want to preserve RKBA, you avoid democrats and you favor republicans. Why? Well, voting records, of course. Sure, not ALL democrats vote for anti-gun laws, but enough of a large majority of them do.

But as I said, the difficulty with trying to judge the candidate instead of judging the party's overall stance (Who here will really deny that democrats are the party of gun control? Is that offensive? Come on...) is that anti gun politicians sneak it under the radar these days because they know it will hurt them. If we "judge the candidate, not the party," we end up believing people like John Kerry when they do a photo-op "duck hunt" to sway the gullible.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I totally agree with farronwolf post. But if the democrats win this next election it will be because Bush handed it to them on a silver platter.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    The problem is that these days, those who favor gun control (in just about any form) have seen where that gets them at election time, and even the ones who devoutly believe in it are not going to be touting it!

I favor what the original poster asserted, that OVERALL if you need to make an educated guess about who to vote for if you want to preserve RKBA, you avoid democrats and you favor republicans. Why? Well, voting records, of course. Sure, not ALL democrats vote for anti-gun laws, but enough of a large majority of them do.

But as I said, the difficulty with trying to judge the candidate instead of judging the party's overall stance (Who here will really deny that democrats are the party of gun control? Is that offensive? Come on...) is that anti gun politicians sneak it under the radar these days because they know it will hurt them. If we "judge the candidate, not the party," we end up believing people like John Kerry when they do a photo-op "duck hunt" to sway the gullible.
    You bring a good point, but I think it very much varies state to state. If I lived in California then I'd agree that voting for a demo would probably be a vote for gun control, but in some states (mine for instance) you really have to look at the candidate to get a feel for them. An anti-gun politician won't last long in KY regardless of party. Not that this matters to me anyway, since I'll "waste" my vote on a 3rd party.

I think that the Dem party of today and into the near future is going to be different than the one of the past 25 years.

Politically correct is no longer hip and cool.

Slowly but surely people are realizing the Constitution is not al le cart.

That's as far as I'm willing to go on that.

and great post Bumper, tis why I like this forum and it's level headed-free thinking mmembers.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

If you don't think gun ownership is about politics, you aren't thinking.
    Just ask the citizens of England or Canada or Australia.
    Just ask the citizens of all those 2-bit sh**holes around the world who have been enslaved, raped, and murdered AFTER their guns were confiscated.
    "If you won't defend your rights, don't complain when you lose them!"
    Leo8, U.S. Army (Ret.)

1943 - 2009
    If you don't think gun ownership is about politics, you aren't thinking.
    That statement precisely summarizes this entire debate.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links