Where the NRA has fallen down

This is a discussion on Where the NRA has fallen down within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a loyal NRA member and I believe that on the whole they have done a great job helping to defend our rights. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Where the NRA has fallen down

I am a loyal NRA member and I believe that on the whole they have done a great job helping to defend our rights. I was also extremely disappointed that they and other gun rights groups were not asked to be a part of Biden's anti-violence task force.

However, I don't think the NRA ha put enough of a face on the whole issue of assault rifles and semi-automatic weapons in general. The most recent Rasmussen poll shows that 74% of registered voters believe we have a right to own guns, but 55% believe that assault rifles are bad.

Poll: 75 percent of Americans have right to own guns - Conservative News

My wife and I shoot ARs. We're responsible people, active in charity and volunteer work, and active in our respective religions. My wife works for a state agency and I am a consultant. We train monthly with many other responsible citizens including an assistant district attorney, a fireman, a patent attorney, and several business owners. If the NRA found a way to show that many ordinary citizens own and use these rifles for target shooting, hunting, competition, and home defense that would go a long way towards demonstrating that these firearms aren't just for crazies.

I have long questioned the motives and moves with the NRA.

This "lack of action" on their part may be by design, or they know that the money is better spent elsewhere than media. They know you can not compete or logic with emotion.

The reality here is they have to buy the votes to stop these bills from going through, and taking any of them to court costs big money.

Even the GOA has been pretty quiet.

Biden's task force is as biased as it can get. Their meeting with the NRA was a PR stunt, and a colossal waste of time.
    zacii likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Our government has no desire to show the “good” side of firearms, responsible ownership and the quality of the American citizens who carry, use and enjoy firearms. Every few years these “strange” beings, (politicians and mostly strange aliens from Hollywood, Ca), launch into a tangent from normal Americans. These “alien” people meet in their “giggle” rooms and decide what crusade to wage. How can normal people deal with this?

I really felt sorry for the NRA. The response to NRA’s suggestions was already predetermined. The NRA had the best suggestion, armed security in every school and unless I’m mistaken I believe I heard a news correspondent mention that some on capital hill are actually considering these? Did anyone else catch this?

Re: Where the NRA has fallen down

Where the NRA has fallen down, perhaps we need to pick up the slack.

I'm not sure how exactly to do that.

I just sent of a letter to the NRA-ILA, voicing some of my concerns, and I'll be writing the NRA HQ, as well.

I don't know of any other action. If I was a better writer, I could bombard the local news with letters to try to educate people.

It's a difficult task. People hardly understand freedom & liberty anymore. Instead they want a free meal from the gov't tit.

The population does not understand that all of their freedoms hang by a thread. And that thread is the second amendment.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Knowing the little bit of history that I know about the NRA they are doing more now to protect all gun owners than they ever have in the past. It's chilling to hear what some NRA presidents and board members have said, and they used to be very against assault rifles and such. So, while we need to always be vigilant, I think they have their priorities straight this time around.

NRA isn't the only foundation that does anything with guns either. I think that the goa and saf have really started keeping the NRA on the correct path.

And frankly, what we are seeing right now is the civil rights fight of our life times. Each of these organizations has a role to play and they seem to be working quite well together (well, after heller forced them to).
    zacii likes this.

Maybe in your opinion they've fallen down......keeping a low profile at times is better than shoving it down peoples throat all the time.

IMO........NOW......is the time for them to Step-Up. In over 100yrs. this organization has stood tall...if your with them then get in line, if your not, get in the other line.

Support our constitutiional rights not fault the organiztion that's defending them.......Geeeezzzz.
    zacii, TX expat, archer51 and 3 others like this.

Isn't it insane that we even need organizations to protect our rights that are God given and written very clearly?
    mano3 likes this.

Lawyers and money......Shakespeare was correct.
    mg27, Paymeister and nontechguy like this.

Re: Where the NRA has fallen down

We, and the NRA, are dealing with a corrupt government.

It takes lawyers and money to fight this.

It sucks, but that's what we have right now.

Truthfully, it is our responsibility to wage this war. The NRA is good at what it does, and we should fill the gaps that it can't.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

This is a discussion for after we get through our current situation. Now is not the time to fix the NRA. You don't rebuild and retrain your army while the battle rages.

We need a win here, we don't need to be handing the enemy any advantage through talk of division in the ranks.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    ... or they know that the money is better spent elsewhere than media. They know you can not compete or logic with emotion.
    ..and they would be wrong this time.

I know no one has unlimited financial resources, but placing all your eggs in one political basket this time around is suicidal in this cause.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Many years ago I read an article that was calling for anti's to join the NRA in order to move the organization from the right to more centric. I don't have any way of knowing if it was legit and if it was, then was it effective but the article was provocative. A hard driving, right wing, non-compromising lobbyist will not be popular but will slow the degradation of gun rights.

VIP Member
    I started another thread for this one, but worth mentioning here:
    NRA: Biden meetings are just for 'show' | Fox News Video
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

"A hard driving, right wing, non-compromising lobbyist will not be popular but will slow the degradation of gun rights".

Hey Yoggi.....Compromise...........you say ? Our Bill of Rights...?
    IMO......you need to rethink your last statement or stop the drinkin'...........
    zacii likes this.

While a NRA supporter and member I have been very disappointed with the quality and thoughtfullness of their responses. Especially the "logic" of armed personel in schools. While not a terrible idea a much more commanding response was called for.

The biggest defense is the simple and easy: "What new gun restrictions have you proposed that having been in place would have stopped the most recent tradgedy?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links