Flip FLopping NRA of the 1960's?

This is a discussion on Flip FLopping NRA of the 1960's? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This was posted on FB and I wanted your take on it. The initial comments discussed racism, then that the NRA (at the time) was ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By BigJon10125
  • 1 Post By Crowbait

Thread: Flip FLopping NRA of the 1960's?

Flip FLopping NRA of the 1960's?

This was posted on FB and I wanted your take on it. The initial comments discussed racism, then that the NRA (at the time) was racist and flip flopped on gun control when it worked for them etc. etc. As we get a discussion going I will try to add to it with comments I got from some of my uninformed friends.
    Attached Images
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

Interesting...Not sure how to take that honestly. I wasn't around back then so, I'm afraid I may be taking it out of context were I to comment on it. Could you give some more details on the exact nature of the political situation that would help to understand that better? Thanks.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

From what I ahve researched the Black Panthers were marching with loaded weapons, possibly inciting violence, and according to their defenders "protecting innocent black people from racists Oakland police officers" It was a very charged time and I make no claim as to who was right or wrong, but thought it an appropriate discussion point with all the potential legislation. AND there are a few old timers still hanging around here who may have some first hand experience.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I don't see a connection with anything, or relevance.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

The argument made was that the NRA supporting the mulford act made them either Anti-2A in some capacity and/or racist.
    BigJon

VIP Member
    Times change, people change.
    Last edited by Mike1956; January 14th, 2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: context
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    The argument made was that the NRA supporting the mulford act made them either Anti-2A in some capacity and/or racist.
    I used to be a racist, but now I'm not. I can afford the NRA the same benefit of the doubt.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

That is how I thought of it Mike. Similar to blaming the Founders for owning slaves. It was a sign of the times. I then discussed with some folks the illustrious history of the black panthers and as usual the double standard came out. "They and theirs" can change but the rules are different for people they do not agree with.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    BigJon

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I don't see a connection with anything, or relevance.
    Gman,
    There absolutely is a connection; and since there is a connection there is relevance. It has to do with firearms legislation in the past, that in and of itself should be enough. Isn't there a proverb about if we don't study the mistakes that were made in the past then we are doomed to repeat them?
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Links