Reply from Senator Claire McCaskill

This is a discussion on Reply from Senator Claire McCaskill within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sent an email to my Senator and this was the reply. What do you guys think? January 13, 2013 Dear Mr. Johnson, Thank you for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Reply from Senator Claire McCaskill

Reply from Senator Claire McCaskill

Sent an email to my Senator and this was the reply. What do you guys think?

January 13, 2013

Dear Mr. Johnson,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, as well as gun control policy and gun safety. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

On Friday, December 14, 2012, a gunman entered Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, and began shooting teachers and students before taking his own life. This horrific tragedy took the lives of 27 people, including 20 children seven years of age and younger. As a mother, I'm horrified and stunned by the senseless violence against innocent children and teachers.

This tragedy has led to renewed and important discussions about gun control, which is often a divisive topic in our nation. The loss of so many beautiful children in a mass shooting that involved an assault rifle with ammunition clips that held large numbers of bullets makes clear that we need to revisit the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 and review permissible magazine ammunition sizes. I am also supportive of closing the gun show loophole and making sure that those with court-determined, dangerous mental health diagnoses do not get access to guns. Finally, it is equally clear that we must reconsider the mental health services available to our citizens, knowing that each mass shooting our nation has experienced involved individuals with substantial mental health problems. "Obamacare" will expand important mental health coverage when it is implemented in 2014. Protecting our children and our citizens will require us to come together to find real solutions that cover a broad range of factors that have contributed to these horrific incidents.

I firmly believe that an attempt to promote appropriate gun safety measures can be done without infringing upon law-abiding citizens' right to own firearms or unduly burdening the hunting and sportsmanship culture of Missouri. Weapons designed primarily for the use of soldiers to kill people in war are not used in hunting and can be reasonably limited without jeopardizing any rights under the Second Amendment. I believe the horror of the Newtown shootings makes clear that we must get to work protecting our communities and our children from mass slaughter, while also protecting our Second Amendment rights. I am hopeful that the National Rifle Association, a significant voice in this discussion, will be a constructive part of this dialogue.

Even as I welcome this renewed debate, please know that I will continue to protect the Second Amendment Rights of law-abiding citizens to safely own and use appropriate firearms. In the past, I have voted to permit residents of the District of Columbia to own and purchase firearms. I also supported an amendment to a spending bill that would prevent funding for any international organization, including the United Nations, that places a tax on any firearm owned by a United States citizen. I have opposed other inappropriate measures, such as forcing Missouri to accept other states' firearms laws.

As your United States Senator, I will keep your thoughts in mind anytime Congress considers gun-related legislation. In the wake of the Newtown tragedy, my prayers are with the students and staff at Sandy Hook Elementary, and with their families. All Americans are outraged at senseless and criminal gun violence no matter where they may fall in the debate on guns in American society. A renewed national conversation has begun and we must all be a constructive and open-minded part of it. There is middle ground here, where this nation can come together with sensible laws that prevent the mass murder of innocent citizens, while we continue to respect our Constitution and its Second Amendment rights.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Claire McCaskill
    United States Senator

P.S. If you would like more information about resources that can help Missourians, or what I am doing in the Senate on your behalf, please sign up for my email newsletter at Claire McCaskill | U.S. Senator for Missouri.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

2. Remove Ads

It appears Senator McCaskill thinks that the 2nd amendment is about hunting wild game as opposed to deposing tyrants.
    jem102 likes this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Hope your state votes better next time...

I have no room to compare in mine.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Amazing that some of the people we elect to represent us know little or nothing about their job.
    Spirit51 likes this.

"Even as I welcome this renewed debate, please know that I will continue to protect the Second Amendment Rights of law-abiding citizens to safely own and use appropriate firearms"

So who made it her call as to what an "appropriate firearm" is
    AZ_Larz_NY likes this.

Dick Gephart's protege.

Mrs McCaskill,

Who are you to determine what is "appropriate?" You were elected to represent your constituents views, not your own.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue.
    Apparently she wants you to contact her again...

She does not understand.

She has committed to nothing. To preserving nothing.. well, except for hunting arms... maybe slingshots and long bows.

She doesn't know anything about firearms.

EXPLAIN IT TO HER...SEND PICTURES. THAT SHE CAN COLOR. WITH CRAYONS.
    ClutchSR9C and Spirit51 like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClutchSR9C View Post
    I will continue to protect the Second Amendment Rights of law-abiding citizens to safely own and use appropriate firearms.
    This sentence sums the entire thing up as political double-speak. Excuse me, but I don't remember the 2nd Amendment saying anything about our rights only applying to arms deemed "appropriate" by politicians. If that were the case, we'd be lucky if we were "allowed" to own slingshots.

And like a lot of them, she clearly has no clue about the intent of the amendment, as evidenced by her "hunter's rights" crap.

Vote yourself another senator.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Vote yourself another senator.
    Believe me I tried haha. No way I have ever or would ever vote for this woman.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Weapons designed primarily for the use of soldiers to kill people in war are not used in hunting and can be reasonably limited without jeopardizing any rights under the Second Amendment.
    Once again, the items that they want to ban such as modern semiautomatic sporting rifles like the AR-15 were NOT designed primarily for this purpose.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    If im not mistaken someone on this board has already written this Senator and got the same response almost to the letter.

Ick.

What is sad is I am sure there are many senators that feel the same way, with their head under a rock.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    If im not mistaken someone on this board has already written this Senator and got the same response almost to the letter.

Ah you are correct. Guess I should have used the search function haha. Sorry about the repost everyone.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClutchSR9C View Post
    Ah you are correct. Guess I should have used the search function haha. Sorry about the repost everyone.

Not your fault. I'm thinking she would at least change it up a bit. But....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links