A bad example we need to learn from

This is a discussion on A bad example we need to learn from within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Yeager comment that has caused so much debate is something we need to take a moment and think about. The statement he made, was ...

Like Tree38Likes
  • 19 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 2 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By Crowbait
  • 2 Post By multistage
  • 6 Post By HotGuns
  • 2 Post By Ghost1958
  • 5 Post By WHEC724

Thread: A bad example we need to learn from

The Yeager comment that has caused so much debate is something we need to take a moment and think about. The statement he made, was fuel for the anti 2nd amend crowd, and, is exactly the way they see us behaving at all times.

While this was dealt with, I think we should all take a pause, and learn from this, and take a second look at ourselves in the process.

The gun owners I know, and the members on this forum are not killers. The taking of a human life, even under the most justifying circumstances is a terrible, gut wretching experience that we should all strive to avoid.

To advocate the killing of people, for reasons that are totally unjustifiable, is not in the spirit of all that we stand for as parents, husbands, wives, and members of our society. This is where Mr Yeager crossed the line. But it makes me wonder, is his mentality on this issue isolated to just him.

Hence, my thread on the issue. Sure, there is no question that there are those in our society who should be put down, either from the justified actions of an armed citizen protecting his life and property, or from an action of the judicial system.

But, where we have a right to bear arms, we also have an obligation to allow our Constitutional process to run its course before we begin the "saber rattling".

The world is watching. We must at this time make sure that we act with the dignity, and above reproach. This is our first duty, to ourselves and, to our country.

Yeager has abandon these principles, and made question his responsibility to his followers, students, and outside parties on both sides of the debate isle. This is an image we can all do without, especially now.

Lets make sure we do not get caught up in the emotional heat, and reaffirm who we are. We will be judged by generations on how we conduct ourselves.
    We are a long way from anything Yeager has suggested, and we can all be thankful for that.
    zacii, Yoda, oakchas and 16 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Well said...
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    That's why I carry concealed. I don't want to saber rattle (or pistol wave). Yes, I have several thousands of rounds for each gun I own, but that is to avoid the coming tax increases on ammo.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I understand where he was coming from. However until a law has been passed or we know for sure that one is being passed there is no need to threaten to shoot people. That is the only negative I can find with this comments other than that he is within his 1st amendment 100%.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    ... We must at this time make sure that we act with dignity, and above reproach. This is our first duty, to ourselves and, to our country.

I felt that was worth repeating.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Lets make sure we do not get caught up in the emotional heat
    I mostly agree with your comments but feel compelled to add, there is a chasm of difference between "emotional heat" and "Righteous Indignation"...The two can sometimes cross each other in the fervor.

Remember; it was the "emotional heat" that gave traction to the anti-gunners all the way to the top.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

The Yeager comment that has caused so much debate is something we need to take a moment and think about. The statement he made, was fuel for the anti 2nd amend crowd, and, is exactly the way they see us behaving at all times.

While this was dealt with, I think we should all take a pause, and learn from this, and take a second look at ourselves in the process.

The gun owners I know, and the members on this forum are not killers. The taking of a human life, even under the most justifying circumstances is a terrible, gut wretching experience that we should all strive to avoid.

To advocate the killing of people, for reasons that are totally unjustifiable, is not in the spirit of all that we stand for as parents, husbands, wives, and members of our society. This is where Mr Yeager crossed the line. But it makes me wonder, is his mentality on this issue isolated to just him.

Hence, my thread on the issue. Sure, there is no question that there are those in our society who should be put down, either from the justified actions of an armed citizen protecting his life and property, or from an action of the judicial system.

But, where we have a right to bear arms, we also have an obligation to allow our Constitutional process to run its course before we begin the "saber rattling".

The world is watching. We must at this time make sure that we act with the dignity, and above reproach. This is our first duty, to ourselves and, to our country.

Yeager has abandon these principles, and made question his responsibility to his followers, students, and outside parties on both sides of the debate isle. This is an image we can all do without, especially now.

Lets make sure we do not get caught up in the emotional heat, and reaffirm who we are. We will be judged by generations on how we conduct ourselves.
    We are a long way from anything Yeager has suggested, and we can all be thankful for that.
    I agree with you, I also feel alot of anger and I post a lot of dumb stuff here.. Im reacting out of emotion just as the anti's are. I think Im gonna cool it till I can learn to observe and do what I can in a decent way to help, but I am aggrevated at the media day in and day out. But I dont wanna jump to conclusions like I have been. If it comes down to it,and it might, we have to work in numbers anyway to do what we have to do, and I alone dont have the answers.. We arent dealing with the America of the past. Things have changed and keep changing everyday... So anyway, Thnks for the post.

Dignity? Above reproach? didn't you just threaten to kick JY in the face?

"maybe he forgot what boot leather tastes like"
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

I agree 100%. And, like Whec, felt that the part in bold needed to be emphasized. Great post.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

We need to look like what we are: responsible, honorable, and respectable folks.

Chest beaters always were morons. They make us look terrible, just what the antis expect to see.

And want to see.

What bothers me,is the few,who gets a ccw permit,and not abiding by the laws.I'm in a gun shop,2 wks ago.Some knucklehead walks in,and you can see a gun,tucked in the front of his pants,shirt behind the gun,smh..The owner told him,he couldn't walk around,like that,where people could see the gun.I heard him say,i got a permit.I walked away.I'm not rude to people,but,sometimes,its hard.I'm no rocket scientist myself,but,some people must forget what the word conceal means.

Senior Moderator
    Know what I think?

There are a lot of people out there that feel as he does. As long as we still enjoy the right to free speech, you have to take the bad with the good.

He stated his opinion. He knows history. He knows that once the guns are taken, that every other right will not be far behind. Perhaps if the anti-gun tyrants in this country heard more of this sort of speech, it might wake some of them up and make them realize that the gun confiscation here, in America, will be different than in any other country before. That is why the rest of the world is watching. If we fall, they have no hope. We are the only light left in this dark world. The only ones that can truly fight oppression and the only ones that have a chance of throttling it back. Perhaps some will take notice and prepare themselves. Perhaps there are those that are sheep that may awaken.

What is unsettling, is that this sort of speech is becoming more and more common. I believe that it will only get worse, because the powers that be in this country are purposely trying to destroy it from within, and they do if for a common goal, that is not so hard to see if one has an inkling of a clue.

We are just now beginning to see that more and more people are becoming jaded and consider the Federal Government untrustworthy and they are becoming vocal about it. There will be more voices screaming to be heard as we continue on this course.

As long as we still have freedom of speech, you might as well get used to it because it is but a sign of things to come...and it ain't gonna be pretty.

Sure, he could have chose his words better. He could have been more articulate.He could have been a bit smoother in his presentation.

But the thing that ought to concern us the most, is that he spoke from his heart and he meant what he said. Rather than slam him for his opinions, we ought to be more concerned with why he feels that way.
    nedrgr21, Doghandler, OD* and 3 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

While I agree in most part with this post concerning the video. There are a couple of things Im a little on the fence with.
    As far a killing someone yes it is a horrible gut wrenching thing. But I think im more comfortable with the victim doing the killing of the criminal in the act of the crime than a court working from questionable evidence after the fact while lawyers work their magic of twisting the truth. Many have died by execution that were innocent proven by others released on DNA evidence that would have been exectuted. In a nut shell Im better with the person being attacked killing his attacker than a court deciding things a year after the event.

Second just for kicks lets take 2a out of this for a moment. Pretend it didnt exist at all as of last nite. Our politicians love to point out that history teaches us lessons about whatever their cause at the moment is to push through what they want.

Well history does teach one lesson with certainty. Every tyrannical government that enslaved its people and ruled by terror on this planet has disarmed its citizens or reduced them to meaningless weaponry before doing so.

While I dont think it is productive to do what Yeager did I dont think it productive to to allow a false impression to be present that American Citizens will just lay down and be disarmed or have their weaponry reduced to a point of 22 lr and shotguns either.

To do so would simply be ignoring the lessons history teaches.
    HotGuns and Doghandler like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ... Rather than slam him for his opinions, we ought to be more concerned with why he feels that way.
    I don't slam him for his opinions. I slam him because he's an idiot.

And quite honestly, I may be just a little angrier and more concerned than he is.

Re: A bad example we need to learn from

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I don't slam him for his opinions. I slam him because he's an idiot.

And quite honestly, I may be just a little angrier and more concerned than he is.
    We chastise the opposition for letting anger and fear guide their discourse and rightly so. Now is the time for each of us to know the person in the mirror lest we be guided by loathing.

Discipline and awareness will be the order of the day.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Sponsored Links