It's all but signed in NY

This is a discussion on It's all but signed in NY within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Check the link story says already passed by the NY Senate which is mostly republicans. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/15/ny...-gun-laws.html...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: It's all but signed in NY

Check the link story says already passed by the NY Senate which is mostly republicans.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/15/ny...-gun-laws.html

What in the world...
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

VIP Member
    Long ago, I had already written off NY as soil I'll never set foot on again anyway.

I'll be in the deep south, until I fade off the grid.

Its New York. What did anybody expect??? Next will be Cali and probably IL. Likely that is as far as it gets.

Kathleen A. Marchione, one of the Senators who voted against actually gets it:

I truly believe that the Second Amendment constitutional freedoms of every New Yorker tonight has been weakened,” she said, adding, “Law-abiding citizens who own guns are not our problem. Law-abiding citizens understand and know how to take care of their guns, not to be a danger to others.

One of the only parts i agree with:

The Webster provision would mandate a life sentence without parole for anyone who murders a first responder.

In case you didn't notice the magical number for mag size is now 7. And any pistol/rifle with one military feature is banned. And if you own them you can keep them but you must register with the state. would also require background checks for most private gun sales, and create a statewide gun-registration database.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    The Webster provision? Is a first responder's life more valuable than mine? Is 'life without parole' really the best sentence for a convicted murderer? No and no. Off with their heads. Stop the insanity.

The danger in this bill should it passed and be signed tomorrow is that President Obama can use it to his advantage.
    airslot likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

That's some really sad legislation. It's surprising they claim to have spent so much time formulating it. Reading the article it seems as if the actually put minimal effort into the new legislation and just rather went with their gut and personal wants. The biggest joke of it all is that it has any angle on the mental health issue. I truly hope it meets some resistance when it's voted on...

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    Kathleen A. Marchione, one of the Senators who voted against actually gets it:

One of the only parts i agree with:

In case you didn't notice the magical number for mag size is now 7. And any pistol/rifle with one military feature is banned. And if you own them you can keep them but you must register with the state. would also require background checks for most private gun sales, and create a statewide gun-registration database.
    Well they wont be collecting very many guns already. Since the state has pretty much outlawed guns across the board. I cant imagine that too many more of them are going to be turned in due to the realistic lack of them due to a long history of bans.

I hope a giant sea-monster with impenetrable scales for armor and heatray eyeballs completely makes New York their new stomping ground. Lets see how all that lack of weapons help them fend off the monster.... oh thats right ... their own government in NY has already killed the sea-monster and taken its place. People of NY your state is lost. Leave NOW.
    ErnieNWillis and wishyouwell like this.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    The Webster provision? Is a first responder's life more valuable than mine? Is 'life without parole' really the best sentence for a convicted murderer? No and no. Off with their heads. Stop the insanity.
    Well, I personally believe you should get life/death penalty for the premeditated first/capital murder of anyone. And if death, the sentence should be carried out in a very expedited manner.

The fact of the matter is cops/first responders will be much more predisposed to reality of something like this happening to them. What would you suggest? The POS who recently shot the responders was already a previous offender who was let out. I say nail their *** to the wall. It might not stop them but it will surely stop it from happening again... Unlike the way banning guns will have little effect on psychos finding a way to slaughter innocents. Especially when they're disarmed and forced into GFZ's.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Somebody will make a fortune selling downsized magazines and high capacity mag holders.

The steam from this pile is truly revolting.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Gun-feature limitation aside, mental health professionals will now have more power to decide who is "mentally fit" and should or should not have a firearm. This then may lead to confiscation. Anyone else see the problem here and the snowball that could roll?

Anyone seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist in NY is possibly in danger of losing their 2A rights.
    niks and airslot like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Long ago, I had already written off NY as soil I'll never set foot on again anyway.

Same here...born and raised in Buffalo.

Left when i was 20 and I'll never go back unless for what i call "F2" (Family,Funerals). And when I go, I spend as little $ there as possible.

last time i was here was in 2003.

I now call it 'The People's Republik of newYorkkistan"

Scary things happening in our great country....

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Its New York. What did anybody expect??? Next will be Cali and probably IL. Likely that is as far as it gets.
    Nope, if Maryland Governor O'Maley (sp?) has his way the Maryland laws will get ridiculous. See if you can find the story in yesterdays Washington Post (sorry, I don't have time right now, at work) if you want a real scare!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    The Webster provision would mandate a life sentence without parole for anyone who murders a first responder.
    Right on the money.

Sad, how equal protection under the law isn't even part of the evaluation of such statutes. Life imprisonment if a first-responder is whacked, yet only the typical revolving-door (20yrs, out in 6-8yrs) sentencing when one of the unwashed is taken out.

From Webster's (the real Webster) dictionary:

equal

1. of the same measure ... equivalent.
    2. like in quality, nature, or status.
    3. like for each member of a group, class, or society.
    4. regarding or affecting all objects in the same way.

The 14th Amendment of the Constitution:

In part ...

No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
    pistola and tangoseal like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links