New Yorkers-Clog the courts and jails by ignoring '7 round' law

This is a discussion on New Yorkers-Clog the courts and jails by ignoring '7 round' law within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's a thought: All New Yorkers who own magazines with more than 7 round capacity should turn themselves for being in violation, demand a court ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By btolle
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 2 Post By Rock and Glock

Thread: New Yorkers-Clog the courts and jails by ignoring '7 round' law

Here's a thought: All New Yorkers who own magazines with more than 7 round capacity should turn themselves for being in violation, demand a court appointed attorney and a jury trial, and clog up the entire court system.

Another method: Find a valid lawsuit form challenging the new law and have everyone file a copy "Pro Se" (self representation). Again, ask for a jury trial and as part of the filing demand that the suit not be combined with anyone else's suit (such as a Class Action suit). Part of the suit should include a restraining order against any enforcement until the suit is settled.

With enough lawsuits and demands for jury trials the system can be paralyzed. Imagine what will happen if 5,000 people in each county file suit.

It is time to become PRO-ACTIVE instead of RE-ACTIVE.

The NRA is wimping out on this. I am a NRA member but last week I joined the Gun Owners of America Gun Owners of America and Jews For The Preservation Of Gun Ownership Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership (you do NOT need to be Jewish to join). Both of these groups are PRO-ACTIVE and unwilling to compromise our Second Amendment rights.
    SpringerXD, ctr, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.

A Buffalo, NY area lawyer is already asking for clients for a ex post facto lawsuit. He said it will be pro bono.

Aticle 1, section 9, clause 3 in the Constitution. I'm NOT a lawyer, but basically this law is criminalizing something that was previously a legal act.

It also references "Bill of Attainder" Which essentially is the legistlature declaring a person or group of persons guilty of some crime and punishing them without a judicial trial.

WIKIPEDIA is my friend...
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by btolle View Post
    Here's a thought: All New Yorkers who own magazines with more than 7 round capacity should turn themselves for being in violation, demand a court appointed attorney and a jury trial, and clog up the entire court system.

Another method: Find a valid lawsuit form challenging the new law and have everyone file a copy "Pro Se" (self representation). Again, ask for a jury trial and as part of the filing demand that the suit not be combined with anyone else's suit (such as a Class Action suit). Part of the suit should include a restraining order against any enforcement until the suit is settled.

With enough lawsuits and demands for jury trials the system can be paralyzed. Imagine what will happen if 5,000 people in each county file suit.

The NRA is wimping out on this. I am a NRA member but last week I joined the Gun Owners of America Gun Owners of America and Jews For The Preservation Of Gun Ownership Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership (you do NOT need to be Jewish to join). Both of these groups are PRO-ACTIVE and unwilling to compromise our Second Amendment rights.
    Better still, send Yeager to NY to act as a community organizer (That was sarcasm, moderators). I predict a short existence for this thread.
    Clodbert likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Better still, send Yeager to NY to act as a community organizer (That was sarcasm, moderators). I predict a short existence for this thread.
    I think Yeager would be too soft spoken and unable to get his point across LMAO
    Badey likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by 8th ID View Post
    A Buffalo, NY area lawyer is already asking for clients for a ex post facto lawsuit. He said it will be pro bono.

Aticle 1, section 9, clause 3 in the Constitution. I'm NOT a lawyer, but basically this law is criminalizing something that was previously a legal act.

It also references "Bill of Attainder" Which essentially is the legistlature declaring a person or group of persons guilty of some crime and punishing them without a judicial trial.

WIKIPEDIA is my friend...
    And someone who IS a lawyer will tell you both those challenges will fail.

Lots of things that were once legal - e.g. cocaine - are now illegal. So much for ex post facto (which actually refers to criminalizing conduct retroactively). You can't be convicted of possessing coke before it was illegal. But if you possess it thereafter....you're cooked.

And you'll get a judicial trial. And found guilty. So not a bill of attainder.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
    And someone who IS a lawyer will tell you both those challenges will fail.

Lots of things that were once legal - e.g. cocaine - are now illegal. So much for ex post facto (which actually refers to criminalizing conduct retroactively).

And you'll get a judicial trial. And found guilty. So not a bill of attainder.

Thanks for the info. But here is my question: Let's say IF a NY resident will soon be 'in possession' of something illegal (10 round mag) which was once legal, and is now illegal, where was their 'day in court' so to speak? Their judicial trial? Are they not now 'guilty'? And guilty without a trial? I'm just trying to get some REAL info here. You're not charging me are you?
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

I think it would be difficult to recruit a significant number of people to take the time off work to voluntarily turn themselves in for a potential felony, pay the court costs and attorney fees, and risk imprisonment in a state correctional facility just to "clog up" the judicial system. Overcrowded prisons and back-logged courtrooms hinder but do not abolish the judicial process. Look at the "war on drugs." And as another poster mentioned, if it's illegal and you possess it, then it would be arduous to not be found culpable.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by btolle View Post

How is the NRA wimping out on this? The law was just signed by the state senate who ignored their own regulations requiring 3 days of posting before voting. The state legislature has not even voted yet (last I checked). It takes time to properly evaluate the legal language not to mention just getting a copy of the actual bill. It is not like the NY state senate is going to help the NRA defeat the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by 8th ID View Post
    Thanks for the info. But here is my question: Let's say IF a NY resident will soon be 'in possession' of something illegal (10 round mag) which was once legal, and is now illegal, where was their 'day in court' so to speak? Their judicial trial? Are they not now 'guilty'? And guilty without a trial? I'm just trying to get some REAL info here. You're not charging me are you?
    You're not guilty for possessing before illegality. If thereafter you continue to possess the now-illegal mag, you can be charged, and if so unless you strike a deal will get a trial. So it's not your pre-illegality possession that's the problem (thus no ex post facto issue) and your trial on the post-illegality possession takes care of the bill of attainder issue.

No charge!

Exclamation Done, Nada, Zip CLOSED

Forum Rule 10:

10. Discussion of illegal activities, except in reporting the actions of others, is not allowed. Discussion for the purpose of promoting these activities may subject the poster to being banned. Admission of illegal activity on your part will be removed. Anyone quoting or referencing deleted or edited posts will have their posts edited/removed as well. In short, DO NOT use this forum to admit to breaking the law, even in your distant past.

This thread is hereby closed.
    BurgerBoy and Hopyard like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Sponsored Links