Gun Control in Australia - Very Interesting Video

This is a discussion on Gun Control in Australia - Very Interesting Video within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Didn't see this posted, my apologies if I missed it....

Thread: Gun Control in Australia - Very Interesting Video

VIP Member

Gun Control in Australia - Very Interesting Video

Didn't see this posted, my apologies if I missed it.

NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

2. Remove Ads

Now that is scarey.
    Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

Thanks for sharing. This may be us tomorrow.

VIP Member
    From personal experience it doesn't work. Home invasions are epidemic in Western Australia and
    it is common place to read of armed robberies or gang related shooting. If someone gets in your home
    you are out of luck. Just play dead and let them take your stuff; or take you. Happened twice to my
    nephew and his family, once to my SIL who was raped in the process. You can't even hit your home invader or grab
    him to push him out the door I've been told. (Don't know if that is true.) Just retreat if possible
    or play dead. This stuff happens in upscale areas, it isn't confined to the "bad neighborhoods."

Beautiful and ordinary homes alike have steel roll down awnings to keep others from breaking in through the windows.
    Several companies do a brisk business selling those door to door like the old style Fuller Brush Man.

They'll come to your house and try to sell it even if you already have some installed like flies to a garbage can.

I had to call the cops on one dude who wouldn't leave my SIL's front yard, and she was starting to freak. If it was TX I'd have kicked him into the street. Of course here he wouldn't have dared to try to play games in the first place. I never did figure out
    why he was being obstinate. At least he never came back.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Yeah, after what Coumo is doing in NY I'm afraid we aren't far from Australian style gun control??

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    From personal experience it doesn't work. Home invasions are epidemic in Western Australia and
    it is common place to read of armed robberies or gang related shooting. If someone gets in your home
    you are out of luck. Just play dead and let them take your stuff; or take you. Happened twice to my
    nephew and his family, once to my SIL who was raped in the process. You can't even hit your home invader or grab
    him to push him out the door I've been told. (Don't know if that is true.) Just retreat if possible
    or play dead. This stuff happens in upscale areas, it isn't confined to the "bad neighborhoods."

Beautiful and ordinary homes alike have steel roll down awnings to keep others from breaking in through the windows.
    Several companies do a brisk business selling those door to door like the old style Fuller Brush Man.

They'll come to your house and try to sell it even if you already have some installed like flies to a garbage can.

I had to call the cops on one dude who wouldn't leave my SIL's front yard, and she was starting to freak. If it was TX I'd have kicked him into the street. Of course here he wouldn't have dared to try to play games in the first place. I never did figure out
    why he was being obstinate. At least he never came back.
    Fortunately Americans are nothing like Australians, and we Yanks aren't going to let our government cram down legislation we don't want; unlike the Aussies when they rolled over on gun ownership after the (single) mass shooting in Tassie. Yanks are willing to pay a price for their freedoms, the locals feel that their freedoms shouldn't cost them anything personally.

I work in one of the largest retailers in Australia, and speak with thousands of Australians yearly. In general, unless they've travelled to America, Australians don't like our country or Americans, and are strongly opposed to American gun ownership (as if it has anything to do with them); my own SIL, a Queensland government bureaucrat, being among them. On the other hand, what do they know of us besides our violent television, films and video games, which is all delivered in a Yank accent? THESE are American exports that affect Australians, vs our gun ownership.

So don't catastrophise (sp?), what they have (or rather, don't have) here can't happen in USA. Even toy guns are regulated here; only eBay gets away with THAT in America.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    Fortunately Americans are nothing like Australians, and we Yanks aren't going to let our government cram down legislation we don't want; unlike the Aussies when they rolled over on gun ownership after the (single) mass shooting in Tassie. Yanks are willing to pay a price for their freedoms, the locals feel that their freedoms shouldn't cost them anything personally.

I work in one of the largest retailers in Australia, and speak with thousands of Australians yearly. In general, unless they've travelled to America, Australians don't like our country or Americans, and are strongly opposed to American gun ownership (as if it has anything to do with them); my own SIL, a Queensland government bureaucrat, being among them. On the other hand, what do they know of us besides our violent television, films and video games, which is all delivered in a Yank accent? THESE are American exports that affect Australians, vs our gun ownership.

So don't catastrophise (sp?), what they have (or rather, don't have) here can't happen in USA. Even toy guns are regulated here; only eBay gets away with THAT in America.
    Unfortunately, most of the NY legislature rolled over today & the people lost. Its happening here in the USA.

Understandably this thread has fallen well down the list of topics; but we do get news about this topic over here, and it can be as valuable for what is NOT being printed, as for what is. Today, however, my local paper (The Australian) published an article by a former DC prosecutor Shapiro pointing out that gun restrictions INCREASE murder rates in DC, and removing them DECREASES the murder rate. It's a Wall Street Journal article; so clearly there are some level heads still in high places around the USA.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

VIP Member
    Maybe most people just can't stand to see good weapons cut up like that!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

To us the NY law is confiscation. Here is how it reads

Q: Which magazines are now outlawed?

A: After the bill was signed, New Yorkers were no longer allowed to purchase a magazine with a capacity of more than seven rounds. New York’s previous capacity limit was 10 rounds, though magazines manufactured before 1994 were not subject to the ban.

That changed on Tuesday. Those who own pre-1994 magazines that hold more than 10 rounds now have one year to either sell them out of state or surrender them to authorities.

Magazines purchased before Tuesday that can hold eight, nine or 10 bullets remain legal, but they become illegal if more than seven rounds are loaded in them at any one time.

The penalties for possessing an outlawed magazine vary. If someone possesses a pre-1994 high-capacity magazine after one year, they could be hit with a misdemeanor.
    For a grandfathered-in magazine, the penalty for loading it with more than seven rounds in the owner’s home is a $200 fine for a first violation and a misdemeanor for a second violation. If it’s outside of the owner’s home, the penalty is a misdemeanor.

Alex

Links