Would this get Their Attention???

This is a discussion on Would this get Their Attention??? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First off: Loooong time lurker New Member First Post Had not seen this posted……So here goes.. From reading many comments on several boards, there is ...

Thread: Would this get Their Attention???

First off:
    Loooong time lurker
    First Post
    Had not seen this posted……So here goes..

From reading many comments on several boards, there is a shared belief that our elected representatives are not paying attention to the will of the American People. And many of the e-mail responses received from our representatives that have been posted on the boards seem to support this conclusion. The ones posted are representative of what I have received back from my e-mails so I won’t post them.

My Question: What will it take to get their attention???

There are several things that have been stated by our elected officials that I believe should be noted because of their importance.

• That the American People have a very short term memory, and they must “ACT NOW” to pass laws before the people “forget about” the tragedy, and they lose public interest/support for passing more restrictive firearm legislation.

• Many of the leadership in the Democratic party, including POTUS, have publicly stated that they are concerned about a backlash against their party in the 2014 midterm elections should they pass an AWB. (It happened last Time)

So Would this get Their attention???

To my knowledge most, if not all, states have a legal method in place for the public to recall an elected official from office. I am NOT an Attorney. But I do understand that the laws and processes for doing this would/could vary from state to state.

I have seen numerous posts about the very long lines to get into gun shows over the last several weeks. Experienced one myself. All of the local gun shops are currently having a huge number of customers in their shops. And there are events planned at state capital building over the next couple of weeks.

Could we get people to sign petitions (or other things as required by State Election Law) at these events seeking the recall of these elected representatives should they vote for an AWB?

Can we over the next several weeks meet the legal standards and requirement needed to have the respective state board of elections hold a recall election of these officials?

If so, Why would we wait for the 2014 midterms? Remember, “They said” that the American people have a very short term memory. Is this what they are counting on to stay in office?

Do you think if, Their vote for an AWB on a Monday afternoon resulted in a filing with their State Board of Elections for Their recall from office on Tuesday morning that they would pay attention?

And yes I know that the chances of voting they out maybe slim to none. (And slim just left town) But it would be expensive, time consuming and messy for these elected officials because they would have to answer for their actions. They would have to raise money to fight off their removal, would have to travel and campaign, and would have to face the voters again. Some would have to run two campaigns back to back if they survived the recall.

In addition, I think that the benefits that some received in the last presidential election would be missing. No coat tails to ride, No massive national get out the vote efforts, and not a lot of free rides to the polls.

Might just send a few shock waves, would most likely scare the devil out of most of the folks living on “The Hill”. After all who are “WE” to question what “They” do. Best case, some of the career politicos lose their jobs over this. Worst case, maybe it makes the elected officials a little more fearful that we are paying attention to what they are doing and the way things get done in Washington DC. (Won’t hold my breath)

Or maybe we need to try this out on a state level first: NY comes to mind!

So take it for what it’s worth, Just a few rambling thoughts!!

2. Remove Ads

The difficulty of making peoople understand or take action would be a huge obstacle, but I wish this could be done.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Re: Would this get Their Attention???

Courts have ruled that recall of federal officials can't be done, according to wikipedia...

Consider the source, but I don't think it can be done above the state level.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    The difficulty of making peoople understand or take action would be a huge obstacle, but I wish this could be done.
    That is very true. And may well be exactly the plan on how to pass AWB legislation.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Courts have ruled that recall of federal officials can't be done, according to wikipedia...

Consider the source, but I don't think it can be done above the state level.
    So, these guys have declared that they can't be fired from their job. Sure, right. Just like states can't declare they won't follow federal laws.

Links