The 2nd amendment, my view. - Page 2

The 2nd amendment, my view.

This is a discussion on The 2nd amendment, my view. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by oakchas The anti gun historian would explain it differently... Commencing with George Washington Wanting A Professional Army. And he got it, btw. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The 2nd amendment, my view.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    The anti gun historian would explain it differently...

Commencing with George Washington Wanting A Professional Army. And he got it, btw.

And we've had one since... And we don't need a militia, by your definition, we've got the NG.

History, depends on who is telling his story.
    10 USC 311 - Militia: composition and classes | Title 10 - Armed Forces | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by hwarang54 View Post
    The militia was basically a group of "us." By us, I mean individuals not ordered by the government. In this case, I can see where that interpretation could come from. If that were the case, this amendment would say that we are supposed to protect ourselves FROM ourselves.
    There are many interpretations of the second... in the founding era... i.e. Carrying concealed, in some locales, was considered the same as going armed with intent... it was fine to wear a sidearm exposed... but concealed meant you were up to something dastardly.

We can debate nuances all we want. The fact of the matter is that the most recent interpretations of the second, made by the Supremes in Heller and McDonald are Stare decisis. Those are currently under attack in N.Y. and may soon be under attack nation wide... depending on what O says and does... and how the Congress acts.

This is not critical discussion now... So I am quitting it... Instead, I am going to do all I can to fight, in every way I can, legally, to stop this madness... If some constitutional argument should come up during my defense of the second, I will deal with it then based on current interpretations by the Highest court in the land...

Right now, discussing this amongst ourselves is a complete waste of energy.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

So, since I'm over 45 I no longer qualify... can they take my arms... and not yours?

See my response above... this is not productive discussion.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Ha! It's not productive discussion to understand the 2nd Amendment that we on this forum find so valuable. Ok oakchas. Whatever you say.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Anti gun crowd tries to argue that since we don't need militia beyond the national guard and armies then we the people no longer need to keep and bear arms. However my understanding is that the supreme court has already ruled that even though the statement about militias precedes the statement of our right to keep and bear arms, the two statements are totally separate and the statement about militias is not the stipulation for the remainder. So militia or not, the right to keep and bear arms is not actually granted by the second ammendment, it was always acknowledged as a right. The second ammendment to the constitution simply acknowledges that right exists and says the federal government cannot infringe upon it.
    pittypat21 likes this.

This discussion is productive to see how many different interpretations of a ONE SENTENCE statement can be. How how valuable that ONE SENTENCE can be to SO many people.
    Doghandler likes this.

Re: The 2nd amendment, my view.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Ha! It's not productive discussion to understand the 2nd Amendment that we on this forum find so valuable. Ok oakchas. Whatever you say.
    Tell me one member here that doesn't understand the meaning of the second as it applies to him/her.

There's a battle going on... I choose to think that debating the meaning of the second is a waste of time, at least amongst ourselves.

Our time is better spent engaging the enemy rather than prattling amongst our selves.

INCOMING! put your crossword puzzle away... And pick up your musket!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by SigPapa226 View Post
    Remember, the founders did NOT want to have a standing army, because they feared the army would be controlled by the state & used against the people (like in England).
    Not only that, but also because the executive's penchant for war and the misuse of forces for political purposes - which is exactly what is happening right now.
    Doghandler likes this.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links