Well ive done all I know to do. Any suggestions??

This is a discussion on Well ive done all I know to do. Any suggestions?? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ive written both my Federal and State reps. Urging the Federal to resist any new gun control measures brought up by the little king. Ive ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Well ive done all I know to do. Any suggestions??

Ive written both my Federal and State reps. Urging the Federal to resist any new gun control measures brought up by the little king. Ive even wrote my two state reps that I know personally, grew up with and know already that they are pro gun urging them to move Ky onto the same bandwagon as Texas Wyoming and Nevada. The last two were sort of like preaching to the choir though they may not have thought of introducing that particular legislation.

I havent become a criminal because I own firearms because Ky is a really good state in the regard and the Feds havent been able to put me in the position to be a criminal because i own firearms, yet. If it comes to that then I guess that is what I will wind up being by default.

So Im asking brighter heads then mine, what else is there to do other than have the discussion in person with my state reps when I see them at the grocery???? And be told they totally agree.

I know I could join the NRA. I havent reupped for one reason. They keep pounding this mental health drum. Wife worked as purchasing and secretarial staff in several drug rehabs, which are mostly useless by the way and other mental health offices dealing with depression etc. She was even picked to speak to the state legislature on drug abuse. So Im familiar with that area.
    One the professionals offering the treatments are oft times more messed up than their patients once you know their personal lives. And two give a mental health doctor or nurse prac which is what you mostly see nowadays any actual control of a persons life and they will go on a power trip 90 percent of the time. So I dont agree with the NRA on that part of their stance. I may join anyway just hestitant.
    Other than those anything else that can be done?

JOIN THE NRA!!

I don't agree with everything they do either. I don't like getting all the letters and solicitations for more money. But the NRA is by far the strongest advocate for our firearms rights.

After this is over and we have had our rights eroded you don't want to feel that you didn't do everything in your power to prevent it.

Please, join the NRA!!

Jim
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

What else to do? Yes, write letters/emails -- lots of them. Also -- show up in person in your reps office. You can judge the staff's attitude (which presumably matches that of the rep).

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Pray!

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    The NRA is not perfect. You asked, I say join anyway.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Join the NRA. I may like a Toyota Corolla better than a Sherman tank, but if we're going into a fortified enemy zone, I'm walking behind the Sherman.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    I understand your hesitancy but there does need to be a better reporting mechanism for people that have been adjudicated mentally ill. I also agree that there needs to be a solid mechanism for removal, so it works both ways and nobody had to be permanently ineligible without their specific circumstances coming into play. I'd say join the NRA. If that doesn't work, maybe the GOA. Either way, keep writing letters; don't stop at the idea of "one and done".
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I can show up in my both my state rep and senators living room about anytime I want too. Not the fed ones though.
    As I said ive written them all the Federal several times the state just once since I see them all the time and can just talk to them in person. And those two are rock solid gun totin 2A advocates to the bone.
    I will write my Federal ones again though and keep doing it though I dont get responses from them. They are supposedly on our side though. So like I said i feel like im preaching to the choir with my reps.
    May join the NRA. Dont know how much good my 25 bucks will do maybe buy a roll of stamps but hey anything to push the cause im for.

NRA has the lifetime memberships for $300 right now. No sponsor required. Good even if you are currently a member or just want to join. I just became a lifemember today.1-888-678-7894 and select option 3

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I understand your hesitancy but there does need to be a better reporting mechanism for people that have been adjudicated mentally ill. I also agree that there needs to be a solid mechanism for removal, so it works both ways and nobody had to be permanently ineligible without their specific circumstances coming into play. I'd say join the NRA. If that doesn't work, maybe the GOA. Either way, keep writing letters; don't stop at the idea of "one and done".
    Thats sort of the problem right there. I dont want a homicidal loon getting a gun either. But a lot of folks that are otherwise upstanding citizens have a bout of mild depression or what not no danger to anybody and I know how these clowns operate well enough to know any excuse they get to feel like they stopped a mass murder they will take and use regardless.
    I dont think they can tell what a person will do short of someone being a raving lunatic that would be locked up anyway. And we both know if they are loose on the street they can get a gun faster than you can say some long word that I cant spell.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Thats sort of the problem right there. I dont want a homicidal loon getting a gun either. But a lot of folks that are otherwise upstanding citizens have a bout of mild depression or what not no danger to anybody and I know how these clowns operate well enough to know any excuse they get to feel like they stopped a mass murder they will take and use regardless.
    I dont think they can tell what a person will do short of someone being a raving lunatic that would be locked up anyway. And we both know if they are loose on the street they can get a gun faster than you can say some long word that I cant spell.
    Well I don't think anyone is talking about considering every person that happens to take a Prozac as mentally unfit. I believe they are talking about people that have been found by the court system to be mentally unfit. I guess it may get pushed down to some other level but they'll still run up against doctor patient privilege in most cases.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Well I don't think anyone is talking about considering every person that happens to take a Prozac as mentally unfit. I believe they are talking about people that have been found by the court system to be mentally unfit. I guess it may get pushed down to some other level but they'll still run up against doctor patient privilege in most cases.
    very reasonable point well spoken as well. Ill post this on the subject and let it drop. Just some food for thought on the mental thing.
    Likely you as well as I have seen elderly but otherwise pretty alert folks be hornswaggled out of their own home by "loving family members, insert likely to inherit or get power of attorney by getting them declared unfit to run their own affairs when they clearly were able too.
    On the other hand anyone that ive heard or known of that was declared by a court to be a danger to themselves or others were committed by the court to an institution. Actually im pretty sure thats required by law.
    What im getting at here is that anyone unfit enough mentally that can be recognized as such will already be put in a postion where they could not get a firearm at all or the freedom to go use one to do anything.
    Anything more vague than that means some court says ok you are mentally unfit to own a firearm. You hereby cannot get CCW permit or purchase a firearm. You will go to court ordered counseling x number times a month". Between visits our Special Ed candidate gets the idea to shoot up the local Micky Ds. Gets a gun from about any thug he wants too or steals one and does just that.
    In a nutshell anyone obviously a danger to himself or others already gets sent away and locked up. As long as he is no gun. Once hes not no matter what hes told by who if he wants he will get it and do what he wants with it.

Just my take that this mental health angle is like all the other regs. Useless unless the person is locked away. But that is just my opinion and since ive been sitting here Ive decided to save up my quarters and once the bills are paid Ill join the NRA for a year at least. Just so my name is on the list of folks that dont want the little king to win if nothing else.

I'm with you wrote the letters, extended my NRA membership , signed up my son, have been preaching to my friends to get involved because it's not just about guns it's about rights. Feeling overwhelmed but not giving in.

Three writes, make a right.

Write a check to the NRA
    Write letters to your representatives. Federal and State. Respectfully and peacefully. Repeat. Repeat. Continue Repeating.
    Write your favorite expression on your protester sign and go march. Respectfully and peacefully. Jan 19th at your state capital: Gun Control = More Crime

All the above can be done as many times as you like.

You mentioned "Texas Wyoming and Nevada" I haven't seen anything about Nevada. Do you have some info?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links