History of 2A-David Barton

This is a discussion on History of 2A-David Barton within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have only recently been introduced to some works of David Barton and am impressed with his fountain of information. I will be forwarding this ...

Thread: History of 2A-David Barton

I have only recently been introduced to some works of David Barton and am impressed with his fountain of information.
    I will be forwarding this link to everyone I know and suggest it as a must watch. It is a series of four clips from his discussion with Glenn Beck on the history of the 2A. It will take some time to view, but very well worth it.

David Barton and Glenn Beck Explore the Amazing History of the Second Amendment | Video | TheBlaze.com

Do not trust anything you hear David Barton say. His goal is to twist history to suit his agenda and the agenda of his backers. His most recent work, The Jefferson Lies, has been dropped by its publisher as a result of the string of factual errors found in it. In fact, the book was so off base that another book had to be written just to respond to all of the inaccuracies (Getting Jefferson Write by Warren Throckmorton). He is not a historian, he is a conservative activist and his claims are consistently debunked. Please see the myriad of examples below. Believe me, there are hundreds more if you are interested.

Even More Conservative Scholars Publicly Question David Barton's Scholarship | Right Wing Watch

http://www.worldmag.com/2012/08/lost_confidence

My Response and Three Challenges to David Barton - Dr. Warren Throckmorton Christian Blog

A Math and Reading Comprehension Lesson for David Barton | Right Wing Watch

Barton: People Who Say the Constitution is Secular are Just 'Biblically Illiterate' | Right Wing Watch

Well then, I am not as educated as I'd like to be to have a discussion with you, but just looking at Right Wing Watch, one can tell it is a left wing org. That mere fact leads me to believe they have an agenda todiscredit anything conservative. I will check out other and may respond later.
    I did read The Jefferson Lies and what impressed me was that Barton referenced everything with original source documents from Jefferson and his contemporaries.

Re: History of 2A-David Barton

There are no liars on the right... Only on the left...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

The point was not to be condescending but don't ignore the other two links both from Christian themed sites. Here are a couple more. They are endless. The guy has no credentials and has been proved wrong by so many people (both conservative and liberal) that his opinions, in an academic sense, no longer hold any weight. If you want to talk about having an agenda, there is no one out there more willing to revise history to suit his than David Barton.

David Barton Gets A Lesson In Honesty | Washington Times Communities

Video: Debunked Historian David Barton Claims U.S. Constitution Directly Quotes the Bible

Crazy Cons: Bad History Debunked (or David Barton Discredited) | Christian, Libertarian

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Phil1224 View Post
    Do not trust anything you hear David Barton say. His goal is to twist history to suit his agenda and the agenda of his backers. His most recent work, The Jefferson Lies, has been dropped by its publisher as a result of the string of factual errors found in it. In fact, the book was so off base that another book had to be written just to respond to all of the inaccuracies (Getting Jefferson Write by Warren Throckmorton). He is not a historian, he is a conservative activist and his claims are consistently debunked. Please see the myriad of examples below. Believe me, there are hundreds more if you are interested.

Even More Conservative Scholars Publicly Question David Barton's Scholarship | Right Wing Watch

http://www.worldmag.com/2012/08/lost_confidence

My Response and Three Challenges to David Barton - Dr. Warren Throckmorton Christian Blog

A Math and Reading Comprehension Lesson for David Barton | Right Wing Watch

Barton: People Who Say the Constitution is Secular are Just 'Biblically Illiterate' | Right Wing Watch
    It's honestly very amusing that you claim what you do...First of all EVERYONE has an agenda, secondly Mr. Barton's is to expose the revisionism that has occurred in the academic world which has affected every other realm of our society, leading to the current moral degradation that we see all around us. Do you know how he does this? By reading and researching ORIGINAL documents by the Founders and of the time period, many of which he privately owns (he owns the largest private collection of original American historic documents prior to 1812). Rather than reading other people's books containing their opinions of his statements, I recommend that you research a little of this yourself using original source documents (most have copies available online). My bet is that you will come to a different conclusion than what we are constantly fed by the media and modern school textbooks; that is IF, you are honest with yourself and retain a completely unbiased outlook and let the facts and documents speak for themselves. I hope that you don't take this as an affront to you or your intelligence, but as an opportunity to become enlightened.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    I have only recently been introduced to some works of David Barton and am impressed with his fountain of information.
    It would be interesting to compare and contrast his claims with the fount of information in the David Young book, The Founders' View of the Right to Bear Arms. It's a short (but dense) book on the history of the RKBA, from the Founders' point of view, the first systematic evaluation of period documents from the years between the Declaration of Independence and the ratification votes in the several states for the Constitution.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Re: History of 2A-David Barton

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    It's honestly very amusing that you claim what you do...First of all EVERYONE has an agenda, secondly Mr. Barton's is to expose the revisionism that has occurred in the academic world which has affected every other realm of our society, leading to the current moral degradation that we see all around us. Do you know how he does this? By reading and researching ORIGINAL documents by the Founders and of the time period, many of which he privately owns (he owns the largest private collection of original American historic documents prior to 1812). Rather than reading other people's books containing their opinions of his statements, I recommend that you research a little of this yourself using original source documents (most have copies available online). My bet is that you will come to a different conclusion than what we are constantly fed by the media and modern school textbooks; that is IF, you are honest with yourself and retain a completely unbiased outlook and let the facts and documents speak for themselves. I hope that you don't take this as an affront to you or your intelligence, but as an opportunity to become enlightened.
    Bet ya he won't let you see his documents... And definitely won't let you have them authenticated.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Bet ya he won't let you see his documents... And definitely won't let you have them authenticated.
    Really Oak? REALLY? Because he regularly gives tours of the aforementioned collection, even allowing some of the documents to be handled with the use of rubber gloves, etc. Have you asked him to have his documents authenticated? Plus, most of the ones that I've seen have been authenticated before/when they were purchased at public auction. The ones that are not original documents like newspaper articles, etc. are certified copies of the originals. This is a pretty weak argument brother.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Sponsored Links