Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

This is a discussion on Who Disagrees with universal background checks? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by oakchas A postcard with one simple message to all of your elected representatives. "I will vote you out of office if you ...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    A postcard with one simple message to all of your elected representatives.

"I will vote you out of office if you vote for ANY of the proposals put forth by VP Biden, or President Obama, on Wed. Jan. 16, 2013."

Every one of us needs to do this.

Post cards cannot contain dangerous substances, do not need to be screened, can be easily counted.

Simple, cheap, effective.

A politician has one goal before he attains office, that is to get elected.

Once in office, he has but one goal, and that is to be re-elected...

Everything else is lies, or at best, half truths.
    Well,Pharoh Obama and his dummy puppet Joe "Walter" Biden need not worry about re-election,but our legislature on the state and federal level do.Great idea on the post cards.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by harrymut View Post
    You can get a gun without doing a background check at gun shows
    I'm not sure about TX, but here in CO, you cannot buy a gun at a gunshow without a background check (legally).
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Quote Originally Posted by pmspaul View Post
    The only way I see they could effectively enforce a universal background check is to first require registration of all firearms. They may pass the universal background check law and then proclaim the way for it to be most effective is to require that all firearms be registered. Otherwise, how could they track or enforce the sales of all the privately owned guns? They need to know what you have first, so they can be sure you can't sell it w/o the universal background check.

Unless you didn't register your guns with them. And then sold them anyway without background checks. But that would be illegal, and no one would do anything illegal. Except criminals. Who will get guns w/o doing universal background checks.

Some of you need to wake up, it's only about control. You say confiscation can't happen, the logistics don't work. The logistics don't need to work when people willingly give away their rights b/c they can always pass a background check, or b/c some kids wrote letters, or some deranged lunatic did something horrific.
    Here is where I see this going:
    It will be a felony to sell a firearm without doing a "universal background check". Selling your unregistered gun in a private sale without doing the "universal background check" will be a criminal act which if caught, means a felony charge and no guns for you. It will also be a felony to purchase a gun without first submitting to a "universal background check" (UBC) and acquiring your UBC approval code which identifies you as legally able to purchase a firearm. A unique UBC approval code will be issued for each and every transaction...you buy 3 guns, you get 3 UBC approval codes...one for each gun. You will also need a UBC approval code for ammo purchases and expect that there will be limits on the amounts of ammo and guns you can purchase during a particular time frame and do not expect to be permitted to purchase your guns and your ammo at the same time...expect a 5, 7, or 10 day waiting period between purchases. Your gun and ammo purchases will be logged into the UBC system at the time of sale...this will not be called registration...they will come up with some other stupid terminology that will make the sheep believe that this is a good thing...they will call it something like "Smart Tracking Active Resource System" or S.T.A.R.S. for short. Expect that the purchaser will have to key in their UBC approval code at the register in order to finalize the sale.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I do.

What private financial transactions two law abiding adults want to engage in is not the business of the government.

It's already illegal to sell/give to someone that you reasonably should have known is not allowed to own a firearm (a felon, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by hartlathers View Post
    I have no problem with background checks. When I pass on my children will argue over which of my guns each one wants. My children will have no issues passing a background check. I own many guns, the ones purchased after 1968 were all obtained with background checks. I have 2 cc permits, both involved background checks. Now to really upset the crepe hangers...no one is going to take our guns away. The elite "they" don't them.
    You will not be able to will your guns to anyone as part of your estate...it will be a felony to transfer your firearms to them after your death...they will have to be turned in and destroyed.

Your children will have to legally purchase the guns from you before you pass away.

Gifting firearms will be a felony.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    It will be a felony to sell a firearm without doing a "universal background check". Selling your unregistered gun in a private sale without doing the "universal background check" will be a criminal act which if caught, means a felony charge and no guns for you. It will also be a felony to purchase a gun without first submitting to a "universal background check" (UBC) and acquiring your UBC approval code which identifies you as legally able to purchase a firearm. A unique UBC approval code will be issued for each and every transaction...you buy 3 guns, you get 3 UBC approval codes...one for each gun. You will also need a UBC approval code for ammo purchases and expect that there will be limits on the amounts of ammo and guns you can purchase during a particular time frame and do not expect to be permitted to purchase your guns and your ammo at the same time...expect a 5, 7, or 10 day waiting period between purchases. Your gun and ammo purchases will be logged into the UBC system at the time of sale...this will not be called registration...they will come up with some other stupid terminology that will make the sheep believe that this is a good thing...they will call it something like "Smart Tracking Active Resource System" or S.T.A.R.S. for short. Expect that the purchaser will have to key in their UBC approval code at the register in order to finalize the sale.
    Pfft,they can't even track who's in this country legally or illegally.It's a joke to think they are going to have the brains or manpower to track millions and millions of gun owners in this country.(i'm not sure the exact number of Americans own guns)

Quote Originally Posted by LBarraza View Post
    Pfft,they can't even track who's in this country legally or illegally.It's a joke to think they are going to have the brains or manpower to track millions and millions of gun owners in this country.(i'm not sure the exact number of Americans own guns)
    Utah Data Center Utah Data Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Not in favor, The government can have my guns if they are used in criminal acts, otherwise it's none of their business what I own. National Registry just has too many flags and it does not deter criminals, it infringes on the law abiding citizens
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    That works well in a perfect world. However, in the real world it's already happening. What we need to do is find out how the staunch the bleeding - and in my opinion, people saying "the 2nd amendment is my permit" or "shall not be infringed" as the answer to the questions does nothing to deal with the reality of the current situation.

That's not saying I disagree with you. It's saying that it complete misses the reality we live in.
    Well in my defense I was responding to the question the thread asked.

As to the reality we now live in, I imagine that we the people and the 2nd amendment advocate organizations play a part in creating "the reality we live in" by not fighting harder in the past and by going along with "reasonable gun control laws".
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

MJK
    NO UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS!

I am a responsible, law-abiding citizen who has never committed a crime. I have the right to conduct private transactions involving my personal property without government interference. That right also applies to the occasions when I purchase firearms through private channels!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    I can see where you're going with that, it seems plausible as well. They could basically treat all weapons like an NFA firearm. I know our government writes un-enforceable laws every day, but the only way to enforce felony gun purchases (in your scenario) without UBC would be to catch people in the act. Unless the guns were already registered with some fancy acronym system the government loves as you pointed out. Either way they do it, the guns get registered, which is the point.

I believe they'll pass some form of UBC this year as a start, given how many short sighted individuals on here alone can't see the potential pitfalls the UBC system will lay as groundwork. I don't believe it's, UBC today and gun confiscation tomorrow, as some suggest. What about taxation next. Tax and fee us into not buying guns anymore. Yearly firearms luxury taxes, who knows. Do you think they hate guns, or big tobacco more?

For the OP, if you hadn't guessed, I'm against UBC's.

Just what is a "universal" background check? How does that differ from what we have now. It's like when I hear "comprehensive immigration reform" To the left it means open borders and to the right it means seal the borders and deport them as you find them.

Quote Originally Posted by dling View Post
    Just what is a "universal" background check? How does that differ from what we have now.
    The goal of it is to have all firearms-related transactions (sales, purchases) being universally required to execute a NICS check.

A transaction can either be made through a FFL seller (either at a gun store, online, gun show, or wherever), or through a private transaction with a non-FFL seller.

In many states, private transactions aren't required to execute a NICS check. And, of course criminals aren't exactly heading to their gun shops to make NICS-checked purchases, nor are they doing NICS checks during their private transactions, irrespective of the laws or any new background check law, no matter how "universal" some claim the demand to be. Why are so many against this? In short, because it won't universally check anyone other than upstanding citizens who comply, beyond temporarily inconveniencing a few criminals/mentals who attempt it.

I'm not certain, but I'd imagine that in some states all transactions are already required to have a background check. So, in such states as those, there wouldn't be any material change.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

NO to universal background checks. Criminals are going to find or make weapons if they intend to do harm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Links