Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

This is a discussion on Who Disagrees with universal background checks? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm The goal of it is to have all firearms-related transactions (sales, purchases) being universally required to execute a NICS check. A ...

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The goal of it is to have all firearms-related transactions (sales, purchases) being universally required to execute a NICS check.

A transaction can either be made through a FFL seller (either at a gun store, online, gun show, or wherever), or through a private transaction with a non-FFL seller.

In many states, private transactions aren't required to execute a NICS check. And, of course criminals aren't exactly heading to their gun shops to make NICS-checked purchases, nor are they doing NICS checks during their private transactions, irrespective of the laws or any new background check law, no matter how "universal" some claim the demand to be. Why are so many against this? In short, because it won't universally check anyone other than upstanding citizens who comply, beyond temporarily inconveniencing a few criminals/mentals who attempt it.

I'm not certain, but I'd imagine that in some states all transactions are already required to have a background check. So, in such states as those, there wouldn't be any material change.
    The only thing that I think you are overlooking is that it will not be limited to just an NICS check...it will be a complete Universal Background Check that is not just a criminal background check...

"It’s time for Congress to require a universal background check for anyone trying to buy a gun...If you want to buy a gun — whether it’s from a licensed dealer or a private seller — you should at least have to show you are not a felon or somebody legally prohibited from buying one." ~ Barack Obama 1-16-13
    You will have to prove that you are not a felon and not "legally prohibited from buying" a firearm...what are some of the things that will prohibit you from making a purchase?

Are you mentally defective?
    Have you been committed to a mental institution?
    Are you who you say you are?
    Do you use drugs?
    Are you currently on an anti-depressant medication?
    Are you currently on an anti-stimulas medication?
    Are you currently on any controlled substance?
    Have you renounced your U.S. citizenship?
    Are you of legal age?
    Are all the answers you gave on the 4473 form accurate and correct...name, address, place of birth, height, weight, gender, birth date, SS#, ethnicity, race, state of residence, country of citizenship?
    Did you give any false oral or written statements?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    I'm not sure about TX, but here in CO, you cannot buy a gun at a gunshow without a background check (legally).
    The dealers do background checks at gun shows but there are many private sales that go to anyone who has money in their hand. Under age or illegals can buy plenty of guns without a check of anything.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    Really? So you don't see the comfort in knowing a brand new gun wasn't used in a crime, like a used gun may have been before you bought it? You follow me?
    I understood what you said, just don't agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    The only thing that I think you are overlooking is that it will not be limited to just an NICS check...it will be a complete Universal Background Check that is not just a criminal background check...

You will have to prove that you are not a felon and not "legally prohibited from buying" a firearm...what are some of the things that will prohibit you from making a purchase?

Do you use drugs?
    Are you of legal age?
    Are all the answers you gave on the 4473 form accurate and correct...name, address, place of birth, height, weight, gender, birth date, SS#, ethnicity, race, state of residence, country of citizenship?
    You mean I have to answer the same questions I answered to get my permit to carry?! OH MY GOD NO!

Seriously, if that's what they mean by universal background checks, then big fricken deal. We're already "inconvenienced" with these questions when we acquire a permit anyway in most cases. Now, if it then means the serial numbers of every weapon I purchase gets sent to the ATF, then I have a problem. But answering questions to prove I'm legally cleared to have said weapons, I don't see a problem with it.

Universal means Federal. Federal means, they know who has what. No thanks.

I say a big huge NO.

I am surprised that I see people here who don't understand what the "gun show loop hole" really is.

I have never bought a gun from a dealer at a gun show that I didn't have a background check. This is not the purpose. The REAL purpose is to make gun checks for PRIVATE sales. Once you buy a gun it is considered "private property". You are allowed to sell or give away private property. If they tack on this "loop hole" law it means you can't sell your weapon without a background check. You can't gift one with out doing a background check on the giftee. If you leave weapons to your heirs after you die....they have to get background checks before they can claim their inheritance.

THIS IS NOT PERTAINING TO DEALERS ONLY TO REGULAR CITIZENS.

This is not the "innocent" act that they are trying to tell you. It is a BIG restriction on your Constitutional Rights to do with YOUR private property as you wish. What do you think they will do next?
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Don't we already have enogh laws and rules. I think the federal govt should run stuff they were set up to run and leave us and the states alone. I'm tired of being legislated to.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    I agree with universal background checks. We already know that the checks that exist have kept more than one million firearms out of the hands of persons who should not have had them. It may be inconvenient, but I consider it a reasonable step to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals.
    How many of those have been arrested? Hint - don't bother taking your socks off for the count.

Quote Originally Posted by harrymut View Post
    I don't have a problem with it, I'll pass the background checks everytime. Only a criminal would fail.
    I get delayed every time. Now I get my wife to buy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by harrymut View Post
    What does it matter if there is a national registry for all firearms? I'm not sure how many non-criminal gun owners there are in the U.S., but I'll just throw a number out for sake of the point I'm about to make , 100 million non-criminal gun owners.
    Now, how would the government round up 100 million people all at once? If they tried to take people's guns word would spread quick and the U.S. government would have war on its hands. I know a lot of military and law enforcement, these guys aren't sheep all them aren't going to follow these orders, also many of them would give people they know heads ups. The logistics just aren't there to make it work.
    World leaders and governments have a disturbing propensity toward confiscation after registration.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I sure dont......what if I die...my wife will have to putz around with the govt to get my guns??? BS...needs a waiver for estates...lol not likely. Dems will want to tax it at 100 %.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Re: Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

Who's providing these statistics? 1 million prohibited possessors thwarted from buying, courtesy of the NICS. I don't buy it.

Another stat is the '40% of all gun purchases are made without the background checks', etc. If the purchase was made without a check, then where is the record of the transaction? It's impossible to know because there are no official records kept.

I know the 40% stat came from the Brady Bunch, and I'd be willing to bet they are the source for the 1 million stat, too.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post

Do you use drugs?
    Are you of legal age?
    And if you have to provide a "mental health certificate" to qualify??? Universal background check has not been defined yet. Just like universal health care was was un-read when congress voted on it.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Who's providing these statistics? 1 million prohibited possessors thwarted from buying, courtesy of the NICS. I don't buy it.

Another stat is the '40% of all gun purchases are made without the background checks', etc. If the purchase was made without a check, then where is the record of the transaction? It's impossible to know because there are no official records kept.

I know the 40% stat came from the Brady Bunch, and I'd be willing to bet they are the source for the 1 million stat, too.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    I agree, I have no confidence in those statistics.

And if you have to provide a "mental health certificate" to qualify??? Universal background check has not been defined yet. Just like universal health care was was un-read when congress voted on it.
    You demand I have a "mental health" certificate to qualify for weaponry?

Then, you provide a "psychological 'crystal ball' validity" certificate to show you have any basis for judging to a degree that matters. And, even then I might disagree with you. And so might a high percentage of reasonable others lined up to judge your judgmental take on things.

And therein lies the inanity of this, unless based on objective standards that aren't toyed with like moveable finish lines.
    zacii likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Re: Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    You demand I have a "mental health" certificate to qualify for weaponry?

Then, you provide a "psychological 'crystal ball' validity" certificate to show you have any basis for judging to a degree that matters. And, even then I might disagree with you. And so might a high percentage of reasonable others lined up to judge your judgmental take on things.

And therein lies the inanity of this, unless based on objective standards that aren't toyed with like moveable finish lines.
    Exactly...they could use any criteria they want and you were stuck with it.

Sent via telepathy on a Galaxy S3
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Links