Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

This is a discussion on Who Disagrees with universal background checks? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'd rather them implement this than implement something that made all my guns illegal to own. Just sayin........

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

I'd rather them implement this than implement something that made all my guns illegal to own. Just sayin.....
    Hopyard and SCXDm9 like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    See the part I bolded and my rule above. No background check of any type has ever prevented a criminal from getting a firearm. It may have momentarily inconvenienced them, but not prevented them.
    Perhaps if they were done well, if they had the right information, they would. Case in point, a 30 something in town
    killed one of our Sheriffs, and I think killed a second person and wounded bystanders. I knew him when he was much
    younger, knew his mom-- his dad dies when he was about 12/13. After the calamity my son reminded me that this
    kid had stabbed a classmate with a pen when he was in 5th grade and was constantly causing trouble. His step father
    publicly had very strong words to say against the young man; so strong I felt sorry for the mom for not only losing
    her kid in the aftermath of what he had done, but for having to listen to what her husband was saying about him.

Sound thorough background checks would have kept him from buying and owning and possessing. There are plenty more like
    him who are slipping through the cracks.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I have a simple rule that defines my beliefs on gun rights:

If it's not something that a criminal would comply with, then we shouldn't be subjected to it.
    I don't have a problem with it, I'll pass the background checks everytime. Only a criminal would fail.
    SayVandelay and Hopyard like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Perhaps if they were done well, if they had the right information, they would. Case in point, a 30 something in town
    killed one of our Sheriffs, and I think killed a second person and wounded bystanders. I knew him when he was much
    younger, knew his mom-- his dad dies when he was about 12/13. After the calamity my son reminded me that this
    kid had stabbed a classmate with a pen when he was in 5th grade and was constantly causing trouble. His step father
    publicly had very strong words to say against the young man; so strong I felt sorry for the mom for not only losing
    her kid in the aftermath of what he had done, but for having to listen to what her husband was saying about him.

Sound thorough background checks would have kept him from buying and owning and possessing. There are plenty more like
    him who are slipping through the cracks.
    How's that working out in Chicago right now?

Quote Originally Posted by harrymut View Post
    I don't have a problem with it, I'll pass the background checks everytime. Only a criminal would fail.

Someone please address this...

I have a headache...

mg27 and zacii like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Let the compromise begin...

Why not 10 round mag limits, too, while we're at it? I mean c'mon, you can't defend yourself with 10 rounds?

Let's Make it so that if we do have guns... in our homes... we have to have them locked up... with the bolt separate, also locked up... and the ammo locked up elsewhere... I mean that "works" in OZ... why not here...

How 'bout if you can only carry on tuesdays and thursdays... and the 5th Sunday of the month...

I would like to see better reporting of the things already required under the NICS check. I mean, supposedly this flawed system has stopped 1.5 million from getting guns that shouldn't... if it were properly administered, it might catch another .1 million... over the next 15 years.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

The problem is that criminals don't bother with background checks when they are buying their "piece" from the trunk of an old Pontiac!!!
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

Some folks misunderstand what Universal Background check means. It is a comprehensive database to associate your name with a serial number of a weapon, REGARDLESS of where you got the weapon. Dad's old rifle? Private sales? It means MORE gov't. intrusion into your life and provides a really easy method to knock on your door and demand you turn over ser# xxxxxx rifle, shotgun, handgun, whatever. It is NOT about you passing a background check or a felon failing one. We do that now just fine, thank you. It is about increasing the governments warehouse of information about you.

Quote Originally Posted by marinevet1994 View Post
    The problem is that criminals don't bother with background checks when they are buying their "piece" from the trunk of an old Pontiac!!!
    Than why give them more opportunities to get them in the first place? I can see three ways that most criminals get guns. They were either stolen from legal gun owners. trafficked in illegally in the first place or purchased at a gun show. I dont mind them having one less outlet to purchase guns.

The only people that benefit from not having to background checks are criminals and the people selling them to criminals. But those guns would be purchased anyway, if not by criminals, so in reality even the seller doesnt benefit, except in convenience and time

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Not in favor at all.

1) This will equate to a national registration with the ATF for all sales of all firearms.
    2) I'm worried that it will be a crime to posses a gun with a serial that was checked against someone else. IE: I can't borrow my fathers gun without it being a crime.
    3) I can't give my future children or grandchildren a gun because, at this rate, it may be illegal down the road.
    4) With the national registration, eventually comes confiscation. When every gun is known, and future guns are banned, the ATF will eventually come to collect.
    Edite: 5) Brought to my attention in another thread: What happens to someones guns when they die? Property of the government? A gun "death tax" if you will.
    What does it matter if there is a national registry for all firearms? I'm not sure how many non-criminal gun owners there are in the U.S., but I'll just throw a number out for sake of the point I'm about to make , 100 million non-criminal gun owners.
    Now, how would the government round up 100 million people all at once? If they tried to take people's guns word would spread quick and the U.S. government would have war on its hands. I know a lot of military and law enforcement, these guys aren't sheep all them aren't going to follow these orders, also many of them would give people they know heads ups. The logistics just aren't there to make it work.

Some people said that even it there are universal background checks a criminal can get a firearm.

Not everyone who loses their mind and goes on a killing spree is a connected criminal.

The white boy from the upper middle class neighborhood, who has no friends and is extremely socially awkward isn't going to have the courage or know how where to find illegal firearms and any decent career criminal isn't going to trust him either.

Not everyone who is a killer is well connected to the criminal world, they are loners. A loner can easily go to a gun show where there are no background checks and buy weapons.
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marinevet1994 View Post
    Not everyone who kills someone is connected to career criminals.
    SCXDm9 and J.Thompson like this.

Some people said that even it there are universal background checks a criminal can get a firearm.

Not everyone who loses their mind and goes on a killing spree is a connected criminal.

The white boy from the upper middle class neighborhood, who has no friends and is extremely socially awkward isn't going to have the courage or know how where to find illegal firearms and any decent career criminal isn't going to trust him either.

Not everyone who is a killer is well connected to the criminal world, they are loners. A loner can easily go to a gun show where there are no background checks and buy weapons.
    But the way it is right now, Al Capone could go to a gun show and walk out with 20 guns. Nothing wrong with stopping that, even if it doesnt stop all criminals from getting firearms every time.

Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    But the way it is right now, Al Capone could go to a gun show and walk out with 20 guns. Nothing wrong with stopping that, even if it doesnt stop all criminals from getting firearms every time.
    Considering the number of "zombie guns" I see at gun shows, I don't think he'd make it very far into the venue...
    91wm6 and OD* like this.

I actually heard a women on one of the cable news networks say that "IN states where there is tighter gun control there is less gun violence" HAHAH are you kidding? This is the work of the MSNBC's of the world using LIES to get public uninformed support... This group that is in office now is the fakest that I ever seen in my lifetime.. Fake, liers, You name it...

This will be a slow attempt to registrate then confiscate.. Using kids for your agenda,, wow man!

Violent criminals dont even know the laws or care..

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links