Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

This is a discussion on Who Disagrees with universal background checks? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone deemed too dangerous to have a firearm is too dangerous to be running around loose. A better solution would be to remove those people ...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

Re: Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

Anyone deemed too dangerous to have a firearm is too dangerous to be running around loose.

A better solution would be to remove those people from society, rather than turning society into a prison.
    phreddy and paramedic70002 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    I actually heard a women on one of the cable news networks say that "IN states where there is tighter gun control there is less gun violence" HAHAH are you kidding? This is the work of the MSNBC's of the world using LIES to get public uninformed support... This group that is in office now is the fakest that I ever seen in my lifetime.. Fake, liers, You name it...

This will be a slow attempt to registrate then confiscate.. Using kids for your agenda,, wow man!

Violent criminals dont even know the laws or care..
    You said

"This will be a slow attempt to registrate then confiscate.. Using kids for your agenda,, wow man!"

What are you talking about? How would these be done undetected?

VIP Member
    Have we not given up enough rights already, why give up more???
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    If we were allowed to carry more places and made it easier for law-abiding citizens to defend themselves, we wouldn't care as much as to whether "criminals" could get guns. A criminal can easily obtain a knife, baseball bat, hammer, or some other object to terrorize others without a background check.

As of right now, I'm against all background checks for firearms.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Have we not given up enough rights already, why give up more???
    Because it "feels" good...

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    What they should do when they capture/ arrest someone that has used a gun in a crime is to check to see if he/ she had a background checked by the NICS when he/ she purchased or stole the weapon. If not, tack 5 years onto their jail time. LOL

Criminals don't buy guns at the LGS nor do felons by guns at gun shows, the present system is a means to relieve the gun seller of any future liability and to meet federal requirements.

Our problem is not gun control, it is our lack of a good court/judge system. Florida has a 10-20-LIFE law on the books that require mandatory jail terms when a weapon is used in a crime. Do the courts/ judges use it? No. Most cases are plea bargained and the bad guy is on the streets after serving less 85% or less of his jail term.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by harrymut View Post
    What does it matter if there is a national registry for all firearms? I'm not sure how many non-criminal gun owners there are in the U.S., but I'll just throw a number out for sake of the point I'm about to make , 100 million non-criminal gun owners.
    Now, how would the government round up 100 million people all at once? If they tried to take people's guns word would spread quick and the U.S. government would have war on its hands. I know a lot of military and law enforcement, these guys aren't sheep all them aren't going to follow these orders, also many of them would give people they know heads ups. The logistics just aren't there to make it work.
    Please... National registration does nothing except lead to an eventual confiscation. It won't happen overnight. It starts just like this. By banning a certain part of a certain type of firearm. First, the ATF collects 50 guns because they know where they are. Then they take 100. Then 200. Then 400. Then 800. Then 1600. They systematically disarm the public over time. There will be no uprising. The fact of the matter is it's already happening. Are you complaining about the assault weapons ban? Anti's think it is a great plan - even though they don't know what an assault weapon even is. The logistics are definitely there.

Edit: Hell, they don't even have to confiscate. Eventually they just end the production/manufacture. Eventually, the market will dry up and there will be nothing to buy in the first place.

Maybe you should do some research and see how many law abiding citizens are mistakenly denied gun purchases. Some people get delayed every time they try to purchase a gun even though they have never been arrested or charged with a crime

I like the idea of Universal Background Checks. HOWEVER in order to enforce mandatory background checks of private transactions would require a registration database proving that a background check was run before the firearm was sold. I, like many others in this forum, am firmly against a national registry that lets the gov't or any hacker know exactly what type of and how many firearms I own. Therefore I am against Universal Background Checks.

I have only bought or sold guns with people I personally know VERY well from a personal transaction not requiring a FFL. And I have refused to entertain otherwise. I don't need a govt mandate requiring a dealer, system, and cost. Why? Because 96% of the guns used in crime are not obtained or owned legally. Thugs won't comply, crime won't go down, and the govt is in your business. Registration doesn't prevent stolen cars, neither will it guns.
    oakchas likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    If we were allowed to carry more places and made it easier for law-abiding citizens to defend themselves, we wouldn't care as much as to whether "criminals" could get guns. A criminal can easily obtain a knife, baseball bat, hammer, or some other object to terrorize others without a background check.

As of right now, I'm against all background checks for firearms.

I agree with allowing law-abiding citizens to carry guns more places. I like the odds of me having a firearm and the criminal having a knife, bat, hammer etc.

When I have a firearm and the criminal has one, then their chance of survival go up and mine go down.

Quote Originally Posted by 91wm6 View Post
    Maybe you should do some research and see how many law abiding citizens are mistakenly denied gun purchases. Some people get delayed every time they try to purchase a gun even though they have never been arrested or charged with a crime
    Like my father-in-law. He has what is likely the most common name in the country. As a result, he gets a delay every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Please... National registration does nothing except lead to an eventual confiscation. It won't happen overnight. It starts just like this. By banning a certain part of a certain type of firearm. First, the ATF collects 50 guns because they know where they are. Then they take 100. Then 200. Then 400. Then 800. Then 1600. They systematically disarm the public over time. There will be no uprising. The fact of the matter is it's already happening. Are you complaining about the assault weapons ban? Anti's think it is a great plan - even though they don't know what an assault weapon even is. The logistics are definitely there.

Edit: Hell, they don't even have to confiscate. Eventually they just end the production/manufacture. Eventually, the market will dry up and there will be nothing to buy in the first place.
    You seem like the type of person that would really be angry if you were one of the first 100, 200, 400 or 1,200 people that the government took your banned firearm away. You would probably tell a bunch of people and word would spread.

Do you really believe people with those banned firearms would be closed mouth sissies? Do you really believe people that own firearms are wimps? If I was one of those first people, I'd use every method necessary to spread the information. What the hell man? Do you really think firearm owning Americans are wimps?

Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    Than why give them more opportunities to get them in the first place? I can see three ways that most criminals get guns. They were either stolen from legal gun owners. trafficked in illegally in the first place or purchased at a gun show. I dont mind them having one less outlet to purchase guns.

The only people that benefit from not having to background checks are criminals and the people selling them to criminals. But those guns would be purchased anyway, if not by criminals, so in reality even the seller doesnt benefit, except in convenience and time
    Speak for yourself man. I benefit from being able to buy and sell firearms privately, without having to pay an extra 50 bucks every damn time...and call me paranoid but I like the fact that I can own firearms without the federal government keeping records on them.
    mg27 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Wow I thought this would be at least 50/50...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links