Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

This is a discussion on Who Disagrees with universal background checks? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Would someone clarify and also cite a source here for me on this? What I would like clarified is where people are seeing anything about ...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Would someone clarify and also cite a source here for me on this? What I would like clarified is where people are seeing anything about gun registration. I have read through every report I can find on Obama's 'directives' (I am not in agreement with them, but I am not seeing anything about registration) and the only thing I am seeing about background checks is that we will be using the same NICS federal check, except it will be mandatory on private sales and 'gun show loopholes'. I would like someone to clearly explain where people are getting gun registration and all that. Again, I am not for any of this, but I do like to actually understand what is being proposed.

Edit: I am aware of Sen Feinsteins proposal which includes registration and all that, but it seems like people here are talking about Obama's new directives.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Would someone clarify and also cite a source here for me on this? What I would like clarified is where people are seeing anything about gun registration. I have read through every report I can find on Obama's 'directives' (I am not in agreement with them, but I am not seeing anything about registration) and the only thing I am seeing about background checks is that we will be using the same NICS federal check, except it will be mandatory on private sales and 'gun show loopholes'. I would like someone to clearly explain where people are getting gun registration and all that. Again, I am not for any of this, but I do like to actually understand what is being proposed.

Edit: I am aware of Sen Feinsteins proposal which includes registration and all that, but it seems like people here are talking about Obama's new directives.
    How about I just link you to the paperwork so that you can read it yourself?

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by harrymut View Post
    What does it matter if there is a national registry for all firearms? I'm not sure how many non-criminal gun owners there are in the U.S., but I'll just throw a number out for sake of the point I'm about to make , 100 million non-criminal gun owners.
    Now, how would the government round up 100 million people all at once? If they tried to take people's guns word would spread quick and the U.S. government would have war on its hands. I know a lot of military and law enforcement, these guys aren't sheep all them aren't going to follow these orders, also many of them would give people they know heads ups. The logistics just aren't there to make it work.
    The problem is there have already been instances of unconstitutional firearm confiscations in the U.S. Louisiana during Katrina, the D.C. area during the sniper killing spree etc. The people who did it obviously didn't give a **** about constitutional rights, and these are the same people who will show up at our doors next time.
    oakchas likes this.

Most of the executive actions are exactly things we've been supporting up to this point. Mental health, increased police presence, security in schools. The only ones that bother me are the ones that put research under the control of congressional politicians who are ALL biased one way or the other. Everything else still would need congress' approval, and I still dont believe they will get that support.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    What does it matter if there is a national registry for all firearms? .
    Why does the government need to know what firearms I own? I am a law abiding citizen exercising my God given constitutionally protected rights. There is no reason for the government to know what firearms I own unless at some point they want to take them from me.
    surefire7 and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 91wm6 View Post
    The problem is there have already been instances of unconstitutional firearm confiscations in the U.S. Louisiana during Katrina, the D.C. area during the sniper killing spree etc. The people who did it obviously didn't give a **** about constitutional rights, and these are the same people who will show up at our doors next time.
    The logistics still don't work for the entire country, it just doesn't work.

You said

"This will be a slow attempt to registrate then confiscate.. Using kids for your agenda,, wow man!"

What are you talking about? How would these be done undetected?

My point is I believe they want to registrate every firearm so they eventually have an easier time confiscating when they are ready if that day should come..

About the kids? I was referring to the president today on national news using Children to get his point across and to get public support for his agenda..

I ve had a backround check with every gun I owned in my life, So Im assuming the pres means a registry? Because we already get backround checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi223 View Post
    I am not in favor nor do I believe that 70% of gun owners are either.
    . Maybe, but several polls have revealed that a significant majority of Americans are in favor of universal background checks. Most, I believe, see the arguments against such checks as weak when measured against lives potentiially saved.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    . Maybe, but several polls have revealed that a significant majority of Americans are in favor of universal background checks. Most, I believe, see the arguments against such checks as weak when measured against lives potentiially saved.
    How many of those people understand what is meant by "universal background checks"

It's like "common sense" gun control. Alot of people are for it becuase it sounds good, but everyone has a different idea of what it means.
    BigStick and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

Why does everyone keep saying "registrate"?

Re: Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

It's basically compensating for a failed criminal justice system, and in the case of mental issues, a failed PC culture.

Before I can answer the question I must have a detailed understanding of what "Universal Background checks" really are.

I think the goal is to prevent the people that currently cannot purchase (i.e., felons, mentally unbalanced, etc) from getting guns. I probably won't sell my guns but if I give them to my son or daughter, or inherit weapons from my father (i know their history) I don't want to go through a dealer. If I sell or trade to another CHL I don't want to go through a dealer.
    BigStick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    I agree with universal background checks. We already know that the checks that exist have kept more than one million firearms out of the hands of persons who should not have had them. It may be inconvenient, but I consider it a reasonable step to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals.
    I agree with this. I have nothing to hide. If a dealer has to check to see if I'm a criminal I do not see why this is a problem for a law abiding gun owner.

Re: Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

There are many problems with background checks. We have to look down the road, beyond the current inconvenience.

How are people supposed to get permission to buy arms, from the same entity that potentially tyrannizes them?

How about a NICS check for every citizen before they are allowed to vote?

As for a previous statement about only criminals will fail the check... We're all just one bad day, wrong place at the wrong time, from being criminals.

The burden to prove guilt lies with the state. Or at least it's supposed to. This system puts the burden of proof to show innocence on the citizen, and that too before they exercise a God given right.

When this fails to prevent crime, then they'll institute registration. Then you'll have to show identification and prove that your gun is yours... papers please?

Oh whoops, can't let your wife or child borrow your gun, you might get in trouble.

We're all statutory criminals that haven't been caught yet. And we don't even know it.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

No, it's like here in NJ where one needs to be investigated every time they buy a firearm or Fishing Lic. or Hunting Lic. ....we have to sign documents stating we don't owe child support money, we won't leave our firearms un attended in the home where kids might be.
    I don't have any little kids and paid for 3 boys to go to college.....I'm personally sick of Big Brother tellin' me what's right for me.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links