Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

This is a discussion on Who Disagrees with universal background checks? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have always wondered why this wasn't the case... I wish I could make poll for this issue...can someone tell me how?...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Who Disagrees with universal background checks?

I have always wondered why this wasn't the case...
    I wish I could make poll for this issue...can someone tell me how?

2. Remove Ads

Ok......I'll be the first vote for your poll..........NOT IN FAVOR OF UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS.
    Eagleks likes this.

Not in favor.
    Eagleks likes this.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    I wish I could make poll for this issue...can someone tell me how?
    Here's just one reason...

When you die, how will you give your weapons to your sons and daughters?

In Iowa, in order to purchase a handgun, (even from a private party, face to face) you must have a permit to do so, or a Permit To Carry Weapons... both assure that you have passed the NICS check. The permit to purchase costs $5. annually... Or you can go through the requirements of a PCW, and pay $50. for 5 years.

It's a hassle, but it works... I suppose you could expand that to long guns as well... but, I generally don't believe it will do any good.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I have a simple rule that defines my beliefs on gun rights:

If it's not something that a criminal would comply with, then we shouldn't be subjected to it.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I am not in favor nor do I believe that 70% of gun owners are either.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi223 View Post
    I am not in favor nor do I believe that 70% of gun owners are either.
    no kidding!!!

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    No way!

I agree with universal background checks. We already know that the checks that exist have kept more than one million firearms out of the hands of persons who should not have had them. It may be inconvenient, but I consider it a reasonable step to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals.
    Hopyard, SCXDm9, bklynboy and 8 others like this.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    I agree with universal background checks. We already know that the checks that exist have kept more than one million firearms out of the hands of persons who should not have had them. It may be inconvenient, but I consider it a reasonable step to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals.
    Not me,,,,, Man I'll say it again!!!!!!!! I'm ashamed to have grown up in Fairfax Station Virginia!!!!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Not in favor at all.

1) This will equate to a national registration with the ATF for all sales of all firearms.
    2) I'm worried that it will be a crime to posses a gun with a serial that was checked against someone else. IE: I can't borrow my fathers gun without it being a crime.
    3) I can't give my future children or grandchildren a gun because, at this rate, it may be illegal down the road.
    4) With the national registration, eventually comes confiscation. When every gun is known, and future guns are banned, the ATF will eventually come to collect.
    Edite: 5) Brought to my attention in another thread: What happens to someones guns when they die? Property of the government? A gun "death tax" if you will.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    See the part I bolded and my rule above. No background check of any type has ever prevented a criminal from getting a firearm. It may have momentarily inconvenienced them, but not prevented them.
    Spirit51 and paramedic70002 like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    I am not required to pass a background check for the other lethal items that I purchase frequently...

You know...

Large cans of tomato soup, hammers, sports equipment, rope, etc...

There are many other reasons but this one mainly.

p.s. NO sarcasm intended in the above statement!!!

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Keboostman think of it like this.........

National emergency............Katrina, Riots, whatever............

You or your family have no guns! Power is out, that means NO background checks! I'm a law abiding citizen I"m going to obey the law if you or your family member needs a gun, Sorry Keboostman no gun for you. Or how about your spouse, or your kids, need a gun to carry for protection, sory you cannot legally transfer that gun to her...

On the other side, do you think criminals are going to play by these rules?
    91wm6 likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Why, just look at how well background checks have worked in Chicago, Detroit, LA... Oh, and Mr. Laughner who shot the senator in AZ, went through a NICS check... Oh yeah, and that whack job in Sandy Hook elementary... he passed a NICS check, right? No, he just killed the person who did.

And that feller at the THEEEATER in Colorado.. he passed an NICS check... or more'n one...

Kept guns out of the hands of 1.5 million people... yes it did... probably some of them shouldn't have been barred, either.

They do serve a purpose, but they are not 100% effective. It would bolster the economy of FFLs though... $25-50 for each NICS check for any private sale...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links